Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM

16 posts, read 284,092 times

Advertisements

Hi, all,

From this forum and other online information, it seems that Cranford is a nice town which is attractive to us - for example,
(1) there is a good and affordable daycare center (we have a 3 1/2-year old son, and we would like to have him grow up in a nice place with good education opportunity);
(2) it is close to my husband's work place (he just started there after he finished his Ph.D. in another state) and my school (I am pursinging my Ph.D. there);
(3) the town is not that pricey compared to some other nice towns.

Though there is one thing we are kind of concerned - Cranford seems not that diversified. We are originally from Asia, we respect all other people without regarding their races or any other factors, and as minority here, should we be concerned with anything for moving to Cranford (for example, for our child and/or ourselves)?

If you think that it is good place for us to move to, we would really appreciate any suggestions for finding a two-bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood (not necessarily close to train stations, and it is also OK in a private house). Our budget is up to $1500/month with utilities included.

There are some apartment information from another posting in this forum, but one apartment complex seems to be expensive, another one doesn't have 2-bedroom apt available.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhes View Post
Hi, all,

From this forum and other online information, it seems that Cranford is a nice town which is attractive to us - for example,
(1) there is a good and affordable daycare center (we have a 3 1/2-year old son, and we would like to have him grow up in a nice place with good education opportunity);
(2) it is close to my husband's work place (he just started there after he finished his Ph.D. in another state) and my school (I am pursinging my Ph.D. there);
(3) the town is not that pricey compared to some other nice towns.

Though there is one thing we are kind of concerned - Cranford seems not that diversified. We are originally from Asia, we respect all other people without regarding their races or any other factors, and as minority here, should we be concerned with anything for moving to Cranford (for example, for our child and/or ourselves)?

If you think that it is good place for us to move to, we would really appreciate any suggestions for finding a two-bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood (not necessarily close to train stations, and it is also OK in a private house). Our budget is up to $1500/month with utilities included.

There are some apartment information from another posting in this forum, but one apartment complex seems to be expensive, another one doesn't have 2-bedroom apt available.

Thank you very much!

1. Cranford is definitely not diversified. In fact, it is even less so than wealthier towns like Westfield.

2. Being asian is not a problem. There are some asians here, but not much. Your kid in middle school will be one of a few, but that does not seem to pose much of a problem. My nephew has adapted quite nicely.

3. From first look, I think your price range knocks off any good 2 br apartment in cranford. There are currently NOT as many rental and low-end housing units in cranford, although some people are trying to change this, with opposition from cranford residents.

Not sure whether these are the complexes you mention as not suitable, but:

Riverside Garden Apartments
12 Riverside Dr
Cranford, NJ 07016
(908) 272-1533

Convenient to Train Line, 45 Minute Commute to NYC, Walk to Train...Building Is Located From River...Great River View

- this is pretty close to downtown, and right next to the river. You can canoe if you want using the Cranford Canoe Club ;-)

Cranford Crossing
Cranford, NJ 07106
2 South Ave West, Cranford, NJ 07016
Cranford Downtown Management Corporation

- this is IN the downtown, right next to train station. Very new, plush, probably out of range of your budget.As a plus, you're right next to blockbuster, and a pathmark is walking distance away.

There's another set of apartments along north avenue going towards roselle, can't remember the name right now. will post later.

Also, some townhouses and condos, not sure whether they rent.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,387 times
Hi,

I used to live in a house in Cranford that was divided into 2, two-bedroom apartments. Back when I was looking, it seemed there were quite a few of those types of rentals available but that was about 8 years ago. Anyway, I think you will be fine in Cranford. It's a great town to live in and has much to offer a family. What about Roselle Park or Garwood? I don't know much about school systems but maybe they may be comparable? They each have some nice neighborhoods that might be worth considering especially since Garwood is between Westfield and Cranford, could prove to be an excellent spot.

LCG

Old 02-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
Hi,What about Roselle Park or Garwood? I don't know much about school systems but maybe they may be comparable?
The school systems in those two are below Cranford (and garwood I think shares its system? it's too small to have its own HS).

Cranford is currently #29 in 2008, advancing from #39 in the state in 2006.
A list of the top high schools in New Jersey by rank-www.njmonthly.com (njmonthly.com)

My nephew tells me some roselle residents have been trying to "buy" their way into the cranford system, but were denied. they ended up in westfield, which is really good for them, since westfield is as good or better than cranford, although dropping in the ranks ;-)

And yeah, I think your idea about 2 BR divided home is good. we actually did this in west orange a while back :-)

Last edited by kalim2008; 02-08-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Thank you all very much for the information and kindness. It is really wonderful.

Yes, we think that 2-family house is a great choice too. We have been checking Craigslist for it, but most of the postings for such house divided apartments in Cranford are from some rental brokers, instead of from the owners. We don't mind to pay the broker fee, but we are not sure whether we should trust them since we don't know anyone who have used their services.

Besides Craigslist, do you know any other online sources where we can searching for 2-family house for rent? (we know that Cranford has a local newspaper - Cranford Chronicle, it seems they are not available online).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:09 PM

hey, have you tried realtor.com?
Cranford Twp, NJ, 07016 - MLS ID#2587494 - Rentals Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Cranford-Twp_NJ_07016_1103834515 - broken link)

Here is a 2 Br that is almost to your price:
Cranford Twp, NJ, 07016 - MLS ID#2587494 - Rentals Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Cranford-Twp_NJ_07016_1103834515 - broken link)

* butcher's Block is in Centennial, walking distance to downtown (just walk along centennial to South Avenue), the library, and other stuff.

Another one:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Cranford-Twp_NJ_07016_1106082855 (broken link)

Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
Quote:
Thank you all very much for the information and kindness. It is really wonderful.

Yes, we think that 2-family house is a great choice too. We have been checking Craigslist for it, but most of the postings for such house divided apartments in Cranford are from some rental brokers, instead of from the owners. We don't mind to pay the broker fee, but we are not sure whether we should trust them since we don't know anyone who have used their services.

Besides Craigslist, do you know any other online sources where we can searching for 2-family house for rent? (we know that Cranford has a local newspaper - Cranford Chronicle, it seems they are not available online).

I would be more leary about dealing directly with a Landlord. Realtors use leases that protect both the Landlord and the Tenant. They handle the negotiating to assure that everyone gets a fair deal, run credit checks to insure that the Landlord knows what kind of tenant they are getting, and make notes if there is anything in the apartment that is damaged, so the tenant will not be responsible when they move out.

There are some apartments in Cranford that are available at that price point, when are you looking to move?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
Quote:

I'm not sure where exactly you'd be able to look other than Craigslist, but I would not be afraid of dealing with a broker provided that it is one of the major real estate firms. The only thing to be "afraid" of is that you'll have to pay the broker fee!

But whether you go with a broker or through the owners directly, you must get a written contract for your lease, and you must make sure you understand exactly what it says. This is especially true if you go with a broker and pay a fee -- you don't want to throw away that money you spend on the broker fee by moving out after 4 months because of some dispute with your landlord or whatever; and you want to make sure you have at least a 1 year lease (or more, if you think you'll want it) so that you're not stuck looking for another rental (and possibly paying another broker fee) a short time down the road.

Most rental agreements are pretty standard, with sometimes a few specifics added by either party. It would be worth it to have an attorney look it over if you don't understand it yourself, but most of them are easy enough to understand.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks a lot for the information!

We are planning to move in April, or the middle of March if there is any apartment and neighborhood which we really like.

Also, we prefer to find an apartment on the north side of Cranford.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 6,881 times
Default daycare

Come, Play and Learn is a great small daycare located in Cranford. Small child to teacher ratios and very affordable rates. It is located at 61 Myrtle Street in Cranford. 908 653 9333 ext 233.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey