U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:41 PM

14 posts, read 152,247 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are hoping to relocate to NJ this summer and are flying out to check it out. We have booked a hotel close to the airport in Newark, but are just using it as a base to travel to other parts of NJ and NYC. Will we be safe there? It's not a really expensive hotel, but we just needed it for sleeping each night and wanted to be close to the airport for our trip home. I've read other threads about how UNSAFE Newark is and am concerned about carjackings, murder, theft, gangs, etc.

Also, does anyone know much about the Hillsborough area? Or are there areas close to that that anyone would recommend? We are a family of 4 with kids in middle and elementary school. We are really looking for a safe community that we wouldn't have to spend much more than $600000 on a home with a little bit of land.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,817,820 times
If you stay by the airport its fine. No playing outside though for the kids. All of Newark isnt bad. 1/2 is Portiques(spelling) As for living? Clark/West field is only 11-12 miles away and is a SUPER area. Between Newark and NYC is kinda seedy but there ARE good areas around. Personally Ive been trying to get out of here for years!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 PM

You've been trying to get out of Newark, or out of New Jersey? If my husband would end up commuting to NYC, would it be a safe commute? I'm not sure what kind of public transportation, if any, is available for that, or if everyone just drives.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,434,679 times
Most of the hotels near the airport are fine, but if you give me the name, I can tell you if it's one of the marginal ones.

Your hubby does not want to be commuting to NYC from Hillsborough- there's no train service from there, and the drive would easily be 1.5 hours plus. Do you know where in NYC he'll be working? There are several routes into the city, with the best one really depending on where in Manhattan he needs to be. And all of the commutes are "safe"- nothing to worry about there.

Bob

Old 03-16-2007, 09:22 AM

170 posts, read 924,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvisitor View Post
Hi,

We are hoping to relocate to NJ this summer and are flying out to check it out. We have booked a hotel close to the airport in Newark, but are just using it as a base to travel to other parts of NJ and NYC. Will we be safe there? It's not a really expensive hotel, but we just needed it for sleeping each night and wanted to be close to the airport for our trip home. I've read other threads about how UNSAFE Newark is and am concerned about carjackings, murder, theft, gangs, etc.

Also, does anyone know much about the Hillsborough area? Or are there areas close to that that anyone would recommend? We are a family of 4 with kids in middle and elementary school. We are really looking for a safe community that we wouldn't have to spend much more than $600000 on a home with a little bit of land.

Thanks!

Stay away from Newark at all costs, especially if you have a younger family.

I grew up in Hillsborough and while it is a nice town, it is NOT commutable to New York. There is no public transportation and the main highway, Rt 206, is a bottleneck throughout the town. It would take a good 2 hours if you drive and not much better if you drive to the closest train station (Somerville).

Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,186,968 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
As Bob k said
most of the hotels around the airport are fine

If you need an easy commute to nyc you should look in
Woodbridge,Rahway,Clark,Cranford or Westfield if you want to pay that kind of money....All these places have nice area's and some not so nice...Woodbridge and Rahway trains go direct to the city but westfield you have to switch at newark ..Good luck with your search and have a safe flight

Old 03-16-2007, 12:53 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,817,820 times
Quote:
You've been trying to get out of Newark, or out of New Jersey? If my husband would end up commuting to NYC, would it be a safe commute? I'm not sure what kind of public transportation, if any, is available for that, or if everyone just drives.
NJ. I live in Warren County

Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Most of the hotels near the airport are fine, but if you give me the name, I can tell you if it's one of the marginal ones.

Your hubby does not want to be commuting to NYC from Hillsborough- there's no train service from there, and the drive would easily be 1.5 hours plus. Do you know where in NYC he'll be working? There are several routes into the city, with the best one really depending on where in Manhattan he needs to be. And all of the commutes are "safe"- nothing to worry about there.

Bob
Thanks to everyone posting for your help!

It's probably a Marginal hotel -- the HOJO's near the airport. We just really want to use it for sleep -- not really planning on hanging out in the hotel. But, should we pack all our stuff in the car each time we leave?

He's not working right now in NYC, but we thought if the commute was easy, he'd work there. At this point he will probably just commute to and from CO where his current work is, as his schedule is pretty flexible.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royceb View Post
Stay away from Newark at all costs, especially if you have a younger family.

I grew up in Hillsborough and while it is a nice town, it is NOT commutable to New York. There is no public transportation and the main highway, Rt 206, is a bottleneck throughout the town. It would take a good 2 hours if you drive and not much better if you drive to the closest train station (Somerville).
Thanks so much for your help!
We are still really interested in towns around the Hillsborough area, as we probably would not be commuting to NYC very often. Still...2 hours is a long time for a commute. Do trains run 24 hours? We are also looking at a town called Bernardsville, if anyone knows anything about that.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
As Bob k said
most of the hotels around the airport are fine

If you need an easy commute to nyc you should look in
Woodbridge,Rahway,Clark,Cranford or Westfield if you want to pay that kind of money....All these places have nice area's and some not so nice...Woodbridge and Rahway trains go direct to the city but westfield you have to switch at newark ..Good luck with your search and have a safe flight
Thanks, Brian!

I will do searches on those towns you mentioned as well....Is I-78 difficult to maneuver? (i.e. lots of traffic?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey