Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
holy sh--... thats the most redneck place i've ever seen...
That's one of the 'wealthiest' towns Strapani, that's my point. You should see some of the poorer areas. You can't imagine.

Be grateful for what you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 03:31 PM

607 posts, read 957,730 times
Grew up in Pequannock, now living (happily, BTW) in Lincoln Park.

We are at the outer reaches of Morris County; essentially we are surrounded by Passaic County.

I can see OP's point about spread-out areas; it takes me much longer to get to places in Morris County, and I have Wayne, etc, near me, so it's a quick trip for shopping, movies, etc.

But he could have posted the same thing about the less-popoulated counties in South Jersey. There are places with a lot of land and fewer people, just as there are those with the opposite.

Although hicks is sort of harsh, no?

Anywho - many of my classmates looked forward to leaving when we graduated too. Where are they now, over 20 years later?

Pequannock, Pompton Plains, Lincoln Park, etc.

Point is, if you get the chance to go, best of luck; but don't dimish the desire of others to stay.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
That's one of the 'wealthiest' towns Strapani, that's my point. You should see some of the poorer areas. You can't imagine.

Be grateful for what you have.
wow. so you mean to tell me that, that trailer park is actually one of the wealthiest towns in New Mexico?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're not interested in having an "intelligent conversation", and no, I don't take you seriously. When your original post makes ignorant statements like "everyone west of 287 is just a bunch of hicks", it's not to be taken seriously.

And calling me "sir" doesn't help your case, so don't bother. As Tahiti said above, come back when you've lived outside of mommy and daddy's house and then we can possibly have an intelligent conversation.
U know opinions are opinions no matter how flawed and he's here to hear dissent from elder view points. I'm from an isolated area Pemberton but I don't feel like I missed out, because there are plenty of things to do outside... but Morris country, is it true it's mostly hills and woods surrounding most neighborhoods? atleast in South Jersey "hicks" or secluded people can be themself.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
3. Trashy is trashy, everyone has there own opinions of what trash is. You fill in your own definition of what you want it to be.
People that look, act and speak like the Gotti boys. You know, real guido, fist pumpin' types.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:08 AM

well thank you to all those who posted. if you didn't agree with me, MOST of you were nice about it. thank you.

also, i have made the following conclusion:

adults like areas like Mendham and other places here in the county of Morris. they're nice places (i never said they weren't) and crime here is relatively non-existent. of course you all like it here, it's like Disneyland for adults. it's exactly waht someone said to me in another thread. i will move to the city after college, and i won't return to the suburbs until I'm 30. well, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford living here where I grew up, but yeah.

Last edited by STrapani1105; 02-12-2009 at 06:32 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
well thank you to all those who posted. if you didn't agree with me, MOST of you were nice about it. thank you.
Dude, you surrendered the moral high ground when you started calling people "strange" and "trashy". How could you really expect all "nice" responses when you start out like that?

I encourage you to visit and live in other places. Hopefully, you'll find what you want, but at the very least gain some perspective.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 AM

ok, maybe only like one person was actually "nice". most people, at least, didn't directly insult me. i didn't directly call anyone trashy or strange. for example, i didn't say like "Hey Joe, you're trash!" i did use a pretty general and erroneous statement though, which I shouldn't have, calling everyone west of 287 a bunch of hicks. I got carried away. my words did get twisted around, but that's not important anymore, that argument is done.

i think that one or two of the posts were direct attacks on me and they were uncalled for. do you agree or disagree?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,048 times
Quote:

also, i have made the following conclusion:

adults like areas like Mendham and other places here in the county of Morris. they're nice places (i never said they weren't) and crime here is relatively non-existent. of course you all like it here, it's like Disneyland for adults. it's exactly waht someone said to me in another thread. i will move to the city after college, and i won't return to the suburbs until I'm 30. well, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford living here where I grew up, but yeah.
I think your initial post was one of generalization. You associated all of Morris County with particular regions that you are not fond of. "Isolated" was probably as far as you could have gone without getting some agitated responses. Even though you dont call an individual "trashy" or "hicks" when you say "Roxbury is trashy" then by proxy you are saying that people from Roxbury are trashy. Let's face it, people get defensive when you insult where they chose to live.

I think what this boils down to is knowing your audience. You're a whippersnapper (kidding), you are headed off to college and are ready to head out into the city, or where some more action is. You will graduate and probably want to stay in the city because the youthful energy there is insane.

But then one day, you'll wake up with a wife and a kid in a 700 sq ft apartment at 5 AM because your kid is screaming because of the taxis honking out your window. You will want to go on an evening stroll and be approached by a bum for spare change or watch a co-ed throw up in a garbage can (granted, this will no doubt bring back fleeting fond memories ). You will then be faced with a decision. Can you still tolerate the city with a family? Lots of people do, and more power to them, its an amazing place to be.

If not, then when you drive out Jersey to see your parents, your eyes will start to wander. You will start to notice the big yards, the quiet streets, quaint downtowns, remember how good the schools were, and all a short trip from the big city with all that energy. Close enough to go in for a day. You see how much farther $500k goes out here than in there. Six months later you are moving into your 3 bedroom 2 bath 2,500 sq ft home in Roxbury for the same price you were paying rent in the city and wonder, why did I ever leave?

You aren't wrong in leaving, and you aren't wrong in coming back- it is all in your priorities.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
I think your initial post was one of generalization. You associated all of Morris County with particular regions that you are not fond of. "Isolated" was probably as far as you could have gone without getting some agitated responses. Even though you dont call an individual "trashy" or "hicks" when you say "Roxbury is trashy" then by proxy you are saying that people from Roxbury are trashy. Let's face it, people get defensive when you insult where they chose to live.

I think what this boils down to is knowing your audience. You're a whippersnapper (kidding), you are headed off to college and are ready to head out into the city, or where some more action is. You will graduate and probably want to stay in the city because the youthful energy there is insane.

But then one day, you'll wake up with a wife and a kid in a 700 sq ft apartment at 5 AM because your kid is screaming because of the taxis honking out your window. You will want to go on an evening stroll and be approached by a bum for spare change or watch a co-ed throw up in a garbage can (granted, this will no doubt bring back fleeting fond memories ). You will then be faced with a decision. Can you still tolerate the city with a family? Lots of people do, and more power to them, its an amazing place to be.

If not, then when you drive out Jersey to see your parents, your eyes will start to wander. You will start to notice the big yards, the quiet streets, quaint downtowns, remember how good the schools were, and all a short trip from the big city with all that energy. Close enough to go in for a day. You see how much farther $500k goes out here than in there. Six months later you are moving into your 3 bedroom 2 bath 2,500 sq ft home in Roxbury for the same price you were paying rent in the city and wonder, why did I ever leave?

You aren't wrong in leaving, and you aren't wrong in coming back- it is all in your priorities.

Very well said. Wish I could rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey