U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,368 times

Advertisements

Got married a few months ago now living with my parents in a 2 family house. My husband and I want to buy a house somewhere in NJ but we need something affordable. We don't have to buy now I'm thinking Fall 2010....Millville NJ( Cumberland county) is the best price on new homes I can find under 200K but we went there and the center of town lets say, was not very nice... my husband works for a cable company and he can transfer anywhere from Union on to South Jersey... Anyone have an idea of a nice town with good taxes. I like Burlington County and had my eye on Willingoboro untill we went for a ride there too... Anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to move out the state but being the only child my mother depends on me very much and i'd like to be a 2hr drive or less away. If i had my choice I'd be living in Florida where its warm all year......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,666,493 times
check out South River in Middlesex County.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,377,699 times
You're wise to be targeting fall 2010 -- prices should be lower everywhere by then. Your patience will pay off.

You'll probably find that towns that appear out of your reach today will not be in 2010. If your husband can work anywhere, South Jersey would seem (to me) the better option, as it's less crowded and less expensive.

That's kind of you to take care of your mother.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM

12,284 posts, read 33,742,671 times
i would just counsel you, whenever you're ready to buy, to find a place as far north as your budget allows to minimize the drive to your mother (I assume you're in North Jersey now?). If you're going to be up there a lot, the drive can really wear on you and I think it would be very easy for resentment to settle in, which you don't want.

Good luck!

Last edited by tahiti; 02-11-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM

7,780 posts, read 20,184,436 times
you were close to a great neighborhood in Burlington county. Look at Delran and Cinnaminson. Jewlels of of Burlington county....

Old 02-12-2009, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,368 times
thanks for the advice... i have a friend who grew up in Tabernacle NJ and I love it over there the schools are great from what i am told. I do live in North Jersey now in Passaic County. I keep hearing about South River and was there once for a party that my husbands co worker was having, he does real estate on the side and I guess he knows where to move, and I have read on here how the taxes are great there. My girlfriend who grew up in Tabernacle now lives in Mt Laurel and tells me Haddonfield, Maple Shade, Collingswood are great, but still when I look I dont see homes I like in our price range. I will check out Delran and Cinnaminson, though....Im getting my Real Estate license this summer just so I can do it on the side and hopefully be there when the market does pick up... I just hope it keeps falling not rise before we buy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey