U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:07 PM

23 posts, read 78,085 times

Advertisements

Hi
i saw a townhouse in avenel last weekend. It's near avenel park, the condominum name is park place. i am wondering if any body has any experience in this community. Diversity, crime, school system,..
we are a young couple and looking to move from queens, ny to New jersey.

thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:27 PM

10,435 posts, read 47,313,746 times
See my post from just a few moments ago: 5th ave homes in Avenel
Post #2.

The area I was speaking of is one block away from Park Av which runs right into those townhomes you speak of. Those are not too old so I dont know much about them other then townhomes are just glorified apartment buildings that do not appreaciate like real houses. As for the area, its just an old neighborhood built in the 50s. All cape cods with some small ranches scattered about. All 50 X 100 postage stamp lots and a whole lot of senior citizens who bought when they were young, raised kids and never moved.

In recent times some young families are moving in but many are from other countries probably because Avenel is lower priced then the rest of Middlesex County.

You will be right next to Avenel Park which remains unchanged since I first played there some 35 years ago. Those townhomes you speak of were built on town park property. Woodbridge Tsp sold off some of the waste land there to that developer to raise some money for their pork projects.

Good luck to ya......

Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Thank you for the input.
Does any body know if there is a noise concern, since i think there is a nj transit and a freight line that runs right behind the condominum (Madaline Dr, Avenel)

Thanks,

Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,446,288 times
The freight line gets virtually no traffic- one or two trains a week, maybe, and the NJ Transit lines are far enough from the condos that there should be little to no noise to cause a concern.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:40 PM

22 posts, read 77,318 times
I am a 26 year old white male. I just recently purchased a home in Avenel with my soon to be wife (came to the board for advise prior). Granted, the home was in outstanding move in condition (previous owners are amazing people) and is located on a very nice/quiet cul-de-sac. I take the train everyday to NY (walking distance). The noise from the train or Rt.1 (we are in between both) never bother us. We are absolutly in love with our home and having access to so many places (shopping, restaurants, roads, etc). I was very hesitant at first as well, but we are very happy. HOPEFULLY, the General Dynamics building will be knocked the hell down and some new townhouses/apts will be built in the next 5 years. That could really boost the town's rep. Obviously, there is a very large Indian community (as is the case for all of woodbridge) so unless you have severe racial issues, I see no problem. I agree the Town is not a stand-up cookie cutter place but in recent years those towns (in jersey) rarely exist and if they do - you will pay out the nose for them (i.e. Westfield).

Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Thank you for the inputs.
How is the commute by train from Avenel to New york city. is the train cowded, do you find Seats? is there an alternative for Bus to NYC near the area?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,446,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2009 View Post
Thank you for the inputs.
How is the commute by train from Avenel to New york city. is the train cowded, do you find Seats? is there an alternative for Bus to NYC near the area?
Bear in mind that alot of the trains do not stop in Avenel- it's a small stop with limited service. That said, a lot of the trains are pretty full by the time they get to Avenel, since the trains that stop there also stop at many/all of the other small stops along the route. I'd expect that any train after around 6:30am will have limited seats available, and anything after 7am will likely leave you standing in the doorways.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 AM

The Avenel line does not stop that frequently (check njtransit.com) but enough for a daily work commute to the city. You are incorrect about the seating assumption. All of the high volume stops are AFTER Avenel (Rahway, Linden, Elizabeth, Newark, etc) There are hundreds of seats available when the train arrives at Avenel - any time.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:00 AM

also - here is the newest update regarding the General Dynamics building.

Solution sought for General Dynamics | ws.gmnews.com | Woodbridge Sentinel (http://ws.gmnews.com/news/2009/0218/front_page/003.html - broken link)

Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 AM

316 posts, read 1,186,640 times
Default l live here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2009 View Post
Hi
i saw a townhouse in avenel last weekend. It's near avenel park, the condominum name is park place. i am wondering if any body has any experience in this community. Diversity, crime, school system,..
we are a young couple and looking to move from queens, ny to New jersey.

thank you
I live in avenel I love it close to everything.
have kids in the schools here can't complain my girls go to high and middle school here . are community has a lot of diversity, low crime. anything else pm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey