Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 AM

825 posts, read 3,160,919 times

Advertisements

[/quote]Exactly! It's a depressed area with alot of potential. They were just granted 2.5 million? billion? dollars to rejuvenate the waterfront area.... If I had some spare cash around, I would be considering investing in P-Burg! I can see a few large corporations moving out that way as the Government has huge incentives being offered at the moment - urban redevelopment grants, 3K tax deduction for each employee...real estate grants, etc.
Mark my words... it will be a happening place within the next 10 to 20 yrs. - "Hoboken of the west"..lol.[/quote]

waterfront? you mean the delaware? if you can barely call it a waterfront. my dad's side of the family are all a bunch of old school italians from Easton, we don't like the Delaware... we have a relative who drowned in it.

when you're coming across the bridge from Easton, you see that diner, the gas station, the old rail-car, the big hill that towers them and these ugly old buildings with a sign that says welcome to New jersey. i guess you mean fix up that area?

i also heard that P-burg is getting a new high school. maybe that's what there gonna use the money for. that stinks too b/c i like there high school. it's old and kinda cool looking... haha. it's got a classic architectural style to it. it's from like the 1920's, i love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
well Mahwah is not laid back either!!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well Mahwah is not laid back either!!
you could be right. it's a fairly wealthy area up there, so people are, of course, materialistic. so I guess that doesn't qualify as "laid-back", because laid-back generally means more simple. but everyone in Jersey is materialistic. my dad is from PA and my mom's from Iowa, so growing up, we were always a more modest family. my parents have had the same furniture since the 80's!! they're stuff is disgusting, it's all this brown, boxy furniture. we didn't drive Mercedes or Lexus, we drove Toyotas. we had a Ford once, but it was junk. another example that you see today is Ed Hardy clothing. anyone familiar with that stuff? they make t-shirts and sell them for $60. yeah, they're nice, but I wouldn't spend $60 on just a shirt. that's completely a jersey thing.

so basically, this guy needs to find a town that's laid-back in Jersey standards. and according to you, Mahwah doesn't fit that criteria.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Exactly! It's a depressed area with alot of potential. They were just granted 2.5 million? billion? dollars to rejuvenate the waterfront area.... If I had some spare cash around, I would be considering investing in P-Burg! I can see a few large corporations moving out that way as the Government has huge incentives being offered at the moment - urban redevelopment grants, 3K tax deduction for each employee...real estate grants, etc.
Mark my words... it will be a happening place within the next 10 to 20 yrs. - "Hoboken of the west"..lol.[/quote]

waterfront? you mean the delaware? if you can barely call it a waterfront. my dad's side of the family are all a bunch of old school italians from Easton, we don't like the Delaware... we have a relative who drowned in it.

when you're coming across the bridge from Easton, you see that diner, the gas station, the old rail-car, the big hill that towers them and these ugly old buildings with a sign that says welcome to New jersey. i guess you mean fix up that area?

i also heard that P-burg is getting a new high school. maybe that's what there gonna use the money for. that stinks too b/c i like there high school. it's old and kinda cool looking... haha. it's got a classic architectural style to it. it's from like the 1920's, i love it.[/quote]

Yes, that area - huge condo complex... businesses along south main..etc.
And I agree..the HS is a beautiful old building. But I believe the money for the new school is coming from Abbott District funds.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Phillipsburg Stateliners, that's just the coolest name for a high school team. No other team is called the stateliners. every other school is called the Bobcats, or the Tigers, or whatever else. but no one else is called the stateliners. i love it.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:48 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
you could be right. it's a fairly wealthy area up there, so people are, of course, materialistic. so I guess that doesn't qualify as "laid-back", because laid-back generally means more simple. but everyone in Jersey is materialistic. my dad is from PA and my mom's from Iowa, so growing up, we were always a more modest family. my parents have had the same furniture since the 80's!! they're stuff is disgusting, it's all this brown, boxy furniture. we didn't drive Mercedes or Lexus, we drove Toyotas. we had a Ford once, but it was junk. another example that you see today is Ed Hardy clothing. anyone familiar with that stuff? they make t-shirts and sell them for $60. yeah, they're nice, but I wouldn't spend $60 on just a shirt. that's completely a jersey thing.

so basically, this guy needs to find a town that's laid-back in Jersey standards. and according to you, Mahwah doesn't fit that criteria.
you know young man despite you hate your parents furniture here a story for you, I used to deliver flowers for Holidays like mother's day and valentines day for extra money. ALot of the places I would deliver would be Saddle River, Tenafly, Ho Ho Kus and some of the people had HUGE ESTATES or lets just say bigger than the mcmansion. While the outside was impeccable but the inside had NO FURNITURE. So at least your parents have provided some thing to sit on!

ON the flip side there are some very very rich people who live in extremly modest houses and you would never never know they are loaded. I also have found that some of the very very rich people are not always materialist.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you know young man despite you hate your parents furniture here a story for you, I used to deliver flowers for Holidays like mother's day and valentines day for extra money. ALot of the places I would deliver would be Saddle River, Tenafly, Ho Ho Kus and some of the people had HUGE ESTATES or lets just say bigger than the mcmansion. While the outside was impeccable but the inside had NO FURNITURE. So at least your parents have provided some thing to sit on!

ON the flip side there are some very very rich people who live in extremly modest houses and you would never never know they are loaded. I also have found that some of the very very rich people are not always materialist.
i don't think there's enough furniture in the world to fill those large mansions cuz' i noticed that too when I went into this guy's house... there was relatively little furniture. and I'm not saying my parent's 80's furniture is a bad thing. cuz I'm like them, if something works, then you use it, no matter how old or ugly it is. our microwave is from 1984. my dad has a camera from 1971 that still works... but of course everything is digital now, so we kind of had to upgrade.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 16,831 times
Maybe Montvale, NJ ?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:20 PM

15 posts, read 27,591 times
We moved to river vale last year and are reasonably happy. Small town and laid back with good schools. although there is no real town center but you are a mile away from montvale, park ridge or westwood depending on where you live in river vale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey