Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:22 AM

93 posts, read 307,438 times

Advertisements

I am a New Jersey woman, born and bred. I recently took a transfer to Austin, Texas. The city is beautiful with endless shopping, endless steak, mexican restaurants with food from all over the world. The weather is also fabulous. The summers are hot here but you have lakes and quarries and pools galore here to cool off in.

It is a diverse culture here with eveyone from all over the world and all over the United States and the people are nice. People here say hello to you even if your a stranger!

Best of all, Apartments start from $500 a month for a one bedroom to $700 for a two bedroom and the pay is great here.

I recommend this city for anyone from New Jersey wanting to transfer or move. I love it here and don't miss NJ at all!!! I love NJ but found a new home.

Look into Austin, Texas!!! Its worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 08:31 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherinelady View Post
I am a New Jersey woman, born and bred. I recently took a transfer to Austin, Texas. The city is beautiful with endless shopping, endless steak, mexican restaurants with food from all over the world. The weather is also fabulous. The summers are hot here but you have lakes and quarries and pools galore here to cool off in.

It is a diverse culture here with eveyone from all over the world and all over the United States and the people are nice. People here say hello to you even if your a stranger!

Best of all, Apartments start from $500 a month for a one bedroom to $700 for a two bedroom and the pay is great here.

I recommend this city for anyone from New Jersey wanting to transfer or move. I love it here and don't miss NJ at all!!! I love NJ but found a new home.

Hi Catherine,

Where in Ocean County were you?

I have heard (aside from you) wonderful things about Austin, but my path is taking me a little west of there for the time being. However, I would definitely consider Austin after I finish grad school. I'm glad you are enjoying it so much there. It sounds like a much better bargain than NJ in a lot of ways.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:34 AM

93 posts, read 307,438 times
Hi, I lived in Toms River, NJ. The pay is high here in Austin also, compared to a lot of cities in Texas and the weather is spectacular. It does get hot in summer but the rest of the year is fine. The grocery shopping prices are also lower then New Jersey and the car insurance is definitely low. I am paying $50.00 a month in Texas for car insurance and this includes road service and collision.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:07 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Austin "is" nice. But I wouldnt care to live in any other part of Texas.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:21 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Hi, I lived in Toms River, NJ. The pay is high here in Austin also, compared to a lot of cities in Texas and the weather is spectacular. It does get hot in summer but the rest of the year is fine. The grocery shopping prices are also lower then New Jersey and the car insurance is definitely low. I am paying $50.00 a month in Texas for car insurance and this includes road service and collision.
I lived in Toms River for 30 years. Now I am temporarily living in Brick before moving to Arizona later in the year.

It's rare to find a city that both pays well and is relatively cheap. I think that might be why Austin is so liberal compared to the rest of the state- the higher pay probably attracts a lot of creative types that would struggle in a lot of other places. But in any event, if I wasn't going to Tucson, I'd probably be heading for Austin myself.

But, try not to be too envious of the ice storm you missed last night- my car was coated in a good 1/4" thick coat of ice this morning

Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
I was there for a while. Very nice place for young adults. It was way too hot for my taste. But the lakes are great and the surrounding hill country very pretty. It doesn't have a big urban feel but has most of the big city advantages without the problems. Great restaurants, laid back attitude and very large creative community. I was there w/o a car waiting for buses in 100 plus degree weather at one point-I did that for almost a year.
I lived in south Austin which is the older part of town and was surprised how different and how pretty the western and northern parts of town were.(and more expensive) I always felt safe in Austin even though I lived in the lower income part of town. I did not like Texas in general but Austin is very unTexas like.
Austin is by far the the most expensive city in Texas as far as housing goes. The pay scale is not higher than in Dallas or Houston for like jobs but it is still less expensive than a city in the Northeast. For the people there-this higher cost is well worth it.
Have fun down there.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:40 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,192 times
Ive heard alot about Austin. I hear there is alot of cultural events and that its full of musicians. I would have no problem living there, its just that I would miss NYC to much.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,704 times
Quote:

Hi Catherine, glad to hear you like Austin. We were just down there in January. My wife and I, plus both of our families are moving there within the next year, looking to move into Round Rock. What part are you in? Also if your looking for a good NY/NJ style pizza check out Saccones in Leander, Round Rock and Anderson Mill. The owner Daniel is a good friend of mine from Carteret and really makes a good pie.

Danny

Old 03-20-2007, 04:47 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divingallout View Post
i wish i was there with you. i hate new jersey and the prices are REDICULOUS!! i was born and raised in atlantic county and i am moving to South dakota when i get out of college! URGH i can't stand it here. the scenery here is like looking at garbage filled sidewalks(yeah that's nice).
Very informative. When are you moving out? By the way when you go to college you might want to work on your spelling and grammer. Good luck in South Dakota.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:38 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Let's talk property tax in Austin TX. I have done some research and the property tax seems comparable to NJ ( very high). Please clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: