Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM

69 posts, read 110,308 times

Advertisements

I need help ASAP!!! We currently live in SC but are originally from the midwest. Husband may be taking a job in Peapack, NJ. Have done lots of internet searches and are more confused than ever. We think we would be best in PA as it would be more similar to our lifestyle/way of life. But not sure about commute time. Currently only have 20-25 minute commute. Good schools are a big factor along with cost of living. Would be looking to buy a home somewhere in the $300,000 range. Any advice/suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
there are 3 factors:

1) cheap
2) fast
3) nice

pick any two

peapack is very, very nice, great schools, short commute. however, it is expensive - $300K is out of the question.

You will be able to get a house in PA right over the border for that price, but you will NOT be 20-25 minutes to Peapack. You're looking at minimum 45 minutes.

You need to rank what your top priorities are and work from there.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr325 View Post
I need help ASAP!!! We currently live in SC but are originally from the midwest. Husband may be taking a job in Peapack, NJ. Have done lots of internet searches and are more confused than ever. We think we would be best in PA as it would be more similar to our lifestyle/way of life. But not sure about commute time. Currently only have 20-25 minute commute. Good schools are a big factor along with cost of living. Would be looking to buy a home somewhere in the $300,000 range. Any advice/suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Mt. Olive may work... (Flanders - Rt. 206 morris co.) otherwise..west on 78 toward PA and possibly into PA but like Tahiti said... you'll be looking at 30 to 50 mins depending on where.

How old are your kids? The high schools out here are not the best but the elementary schools are fine. I'm in Greenwich twp and for 300K, you would find a decent home... approx. 30-35 mins west of Peapack.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Default Breathe slowly

Step one: Calm down. Your email sounds desperate and desperate people frequently make bad choices.

Step two: Get a map of New Jersey. Draw an arc along the points ten+/- miles away from Peapack. It will take you about 20-25 minutes to get to Peapack from most places along the arc.

Affordable areas akin to the type you're looking for are likely to be west of Peapack towards Pennsylvania. If you actually cross into Pennsylvania, your commute may easily be an hour door-to-door.

Step three: Go to Realtor.com or another home search site and search on Peapack using your home criteria (price, bedrooms, baths, etc.) for a 10 mile radius.

Step four: What town names keep popping up? Research three areas more thoroughly and start looking for homes there.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:53 AM

69 posts, read 110,308 times
Kids are 6 and 15 so looking at elementary and high school. The kids come first so our priority is getting in a safe area with good schools.
Thanks so much for the info!!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Kids are 6 and 15 so looking at elementary and high school. The kids come first so our priority is getting in a safe area with good schools.
I would try Flanders first (Mt. Olive Twp. - Morris Co.) Good school system...
You may even look into Washington Twp. - Morris County...you might find something decent in your price range in this market at the moment... top rated schools. Another choice... High Bridge in Hunterdon County - Voorhees HS. Check out gsmls.com. The towns I mentioned are an easy commute to Peapack. Best of luck

Old 02-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
anything within a 10 mile radius is going to have excellent schools and are going to be as safe as anything on the PLANET (seriously).

outside of that radius, like wiley said, you can look at mt. olive, you will get a little more house for the money. long valley (washington twsp morris county) can be an option, from its' furthest reaches you can be about 35 minutes away from peapack. you can also look into califon, high bridge, clinton.

you're fortunate because peapack is an excellent location, and with minimal planning, you can avoid a horrendous commute because of its location (far from NYC). you are also smack dab in the middle of some of the best housing, schooling and wealth in the entire state and some would say the country. the only downside is that comes with a price tag. if you can stretch your budget to $400K that opens up a WHOLE new realm of possibility.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
You may even look into Washington Twp. - Morris County...you might find something decent in your price range in this market at the moment... top rated schools. Another choice... High Bridge in Hunterdon County - Voorhees HS. Check out gsmls.com. The towns I mentioned are an easy commute to Peapack. Best of luck
LOL - i was typing when you posted.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 PM

392 posts, read 842,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
x2 on Wash Twp!

I am currently looking in Long Valley (Washington Twp). It is a fantastic area to raise a family. Currently, $400k will get you something nice. However, prices are coming down.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Anywhere in Somerset County is fine. You have a bunch of choices. You'll be fine. I'll take a NJ education over a PA one any day for my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey