Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 15,862 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I've recently relocated for work from the UK with my wife and I'm looking for some information on areas I should stay?

My work will be split between Princeton and Manhattan so would like to try find an area to stay that is really inbetween both. I have been recommended areas like Flemington/ Lambertville and Raritan. What are your opinions on these?

I have also seen a nice apartment complex in New Brunswick but have read some views saying the area is unsafe. I'm not the sort of person that needs to stay in an area the equivalent of Cambridge/ Oxford but don't want myself or wife to be living in a "properly" unsafe area that is un-walkable.

I'm in my mid twenties, enjoy bars/ clubs/ restaurants and shopping (wife) and any areas that have such places would be prefered.

Any information at all would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
Are you working for Black Rock?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:39 PM

No, I'm not. I also forgot to mention that the apartment I have seen in NB is part of a complex and supposedly pretty safe. Is walking around NB at night and weekends okay?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Flemington/Lambertville would be a pretty painful commute to NYC, and Raritan would be only slightly better. New Brunswick has some OK sections, but it wouldn't be my first choice. What about somewhere along the NE Corridor train line, like Edison or Metuchen? Is your Princeton office near a train station?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the info BobKovacs. I haven't really looked at Edison yet, is this and Metuchen nice areas? Quiet/ lively?

Old 02-17-2009, 11:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru-1 View Post
No, I'm not. I also forgot to mention that the apartment I have seen in NB is part of a complex and supposedly pretty safe. Is walking around NB at night and weekends okay?
Yes. Anywhere where you would want to walk will be safe.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:44 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Yes. Anywhere where you would want to walk will be safe.

Would definitely NOT say "anywhere".

Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info BobKovacs. I haven't really looked at Edison yet, is this and Metuchen nice areas? Quiet/ lively?
Edison's a quiet suburb, as is Metuchen. Metuchun has a nice downtown area that might be a little lively at times, but it's not filled with bars and clubs.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM

I've now been suggested North Brunswick as a bettter alternative to New Brunswick.........any opinions on that??

Thanks for the replies....much appreciated!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Quote:
I've now been suggested North Brunswick as a bettter alternative to New Brunswick.........any opinions on that??

Thanks for the replies....much appreciated!
Well it's a trade off in your situation. North Brunswick is safer and closer to your job, but in terms of nightlife it can't compare to New Brunswick. Remember New Brunswick is where Rutgers University is and is full of young smart party animals.

If I were in your shoes New Brunswick would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey