Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 18,375 times

Advertisements

I had an interview at Rutgers for a professor position. The teaching requirements are night classes (6-9 pm) mostly. I must be at Newark 3-4 days a week, 1-2 days at New Brunswick campus and 1/2 day in NYC.

I am a single mother in the mid 30s with a PhD. Kids are 7 and 8. I am a professor at Rutgers Camden now and live in Cherry Hill, NJ, This gig will end in May 09. I am originally from Bangkok, Thailand -- a city person. I sent my kids to be with my mother aboard since my employment situation is not stable at all -- even with a PhD. This job at Rutgers Newark is 3 years base contract. I have friends in Hoboken and NYC area mostly single friends I have known since grad school. I would say Cherry Hill is nice but way too quiet. I like the diversity in Jersey and just love it!

If it is just me teaching at Rutgers both Newark and New Brunswick for the first year --- any advises where I should look? I want my kids to live with me as soon as I can see a chance of stability in my career -- but I can't really see it in a nearing future (1-2 years.)

My son has outgrown Autism label but still pretty hyper active. My daughter is gifted. We need a school that has English as a Second Language (ESL) program as well. The kids were born in Illinois. They have been with my mother since I was trying to complete my PhD. My career has been discouraging for us to be together. They are now in one of the best schools in my country. I also need baby sitters who can come being with the kids when I have to teach 6-9 pm. Is it something that is impossible to arrange?

I am kind of asking for you guys opinions on my situation as well -- many people told me -- I should forget about the academic career and go back to my country. Your advises for the housing, school and overall situation are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by yupinpatara; 02-17-2009 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 PM

329 posts, read 1,528,944 times
oh just saw this post..

edison, newbrunswick , newark, newyork all fall on the same north east corridor line of NJ transit.

u may also try jersey city and take path trains to new york or newark. if you want to go to new bruns you can change path train at newark or harrison.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM

26 posts, read 93,918 times
I don't know about the school systems for your kids, but if you are looking for a place for just you, the Bridgewater area might work. It's about a 15-20 minute drive to the New Brunswick campus, and I would guess about 45 minutes to the Newark campus.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
Hello.
I am originally from Holland, living in Thailand. I donot think any improvement in work here is likely for at least 3/4 years. Could be more after recent events..
Sorry for asking, but what is the problem with the University ??
And evening courses??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey