Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:34 PM

174 posts, read 431,308 times

Advertisements

This appears to me to be a mostly progressive website from what I've read. Many here speak glowingly about diversity. Yet I can't help but think many whites don't live where I did in East Orange back in 1965-1970. So it makes me wonder........

Why is it okay to make middle class towns pay school districts more money than they spend on their own kids? What normal Mom or Dad does that? The rich are rich, but the poor get more for their kids than the ones sending the money! The guy in the middle always gets the shaft.

Many here talk the talk of "diversity". Fine and dandy, many of you are Liberal or Progressive. Where is this compassion for the child of the factory worker or janitor that isn't a minority? I find the debate here to be absent from those folks.

You ***** and whine about taxes and the cost of living, yet you do nothing to reign in spending. In your own house you would call that dumb. In a few years, this will *********r kids so bad they won't even be able to go to junior college. Can you not see this?

Why has New Jersey chosen such a destructive path? You force the working citizens to send money to the worst. Isn't this insanity?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,020 times
If the wealthy towns sent money to middle class towns than that should be okay

As long as every public school in the state has the exact same funding

If you want you kids to have more funding than there is the Private School

Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,978,983 times
The concept here is "equality" for all in education......a child from a low income family shouldn't be punished or handicapped for his parents low income.....he should have the same education opportunities available to help lift himself up from his economic situation. The United States is 35th in the world on education and 13% of our population is at poverty level. We can't keep following the same plan and expect different results.....our system has to change !!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:01 PM

392 posts, read 842,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
Why has New Jersey chosen such a destructive path? You force the working citizens to send money to the worst. Isn't this insanity?
I think all kids deserve an equal footing when it comes to education. Unfortunately, a big part of successful learning is a positive home environment and no amount of money can change the fact that many kids are caught up in something less than optimal at home.

I agree that the system doesn't work. However, as a strong conservative my vote counts for very little in this state. The only vote that may ultimately work is the one I can cast with my feet. If producers start leaving the state, the whole busted system craters.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
I think all kids deserve an equal footing when it comes to education. Unfortunately, a big part of successful learning is a positive home environment and no amount of money can change the fact that many kids are caught up in something less than optimal at home.

I agree that the system doesn't work. However, as a strong conservative my vote counts for very little in this state. The only vote that may ultimately work is the one I can cast with my feet. If producers start leaving the state, the whole busted system craters.
Leaving the state won't help as this is a nationwide situation.....again....we are ranked 35th in the world for education.....its not just New Jersey that causes our ranking of 35....its New Jersey and the other 49 states too.....we have to discard our plan and look around us and see what the leading countries in education are doing that we aren't. It didn't matter years ago where we ranked but its a global economy now and our childen have to be educated to compete in it. We can't keep pouring 12 billion a month into useless wars and our military while our education system stagnates....our position in the worlds eyes as the worlds ONLY policeman has to change.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Leaving the state won't help as this is a nationwide situation.....again....we are ranked 35th in the world for education.....its not just New Jersey that causes our ranking of 35....its New Jersey and the other 49 states too.....we have to discard our plan and look around us and see what the leading countries in education are doing that we aren't. It didn't matter years ago where we ranked but its a global economy now and our childen have to be educated to compete in it. We can't keep pouring 12 billion a month into useless wars and our military while our education system stagnates....our position in the worlds eyes as the worlds ONLY policeman has to change.
OK, why does everything have to go back to wars? This problem existed before and will continue to exist in our lifetimes because pouring $$$ into the problem isn't working at any level. It's interesting that you don't address the home environment as a root cause of the problem.

Anyway, leaving the state does make a difference. In most other states you pay 1/4 (or less) of the NJ tax burden to have a similar result. I swear the politcos burn through money in this state faster than anywhere else on the planet. ( I wish there was a money up in smoke smilie for the NJ forum.)

Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 PM

4,183 posts, read 5,067,201 times
Quote:
OK, why does everything have to go back to wars?
it doesn't have to go back to wars, but it's also not a white/black thing.

the title of this thread is troll-baiting

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
OK, why does everything have to go back to wars? This problem existed before and will continue to exist in our lifetimes because pouring $$$ into isn't working at any level.

Anyway, leaving the state does make a difference. In most other states you pay 1/4 (or less) of the NJ tax burden. I swear the politcos burn through money in this state faster than anywhere else.
If you reread my post I agree that the system isn't working and we need to look to nations with excellent education ranking to see what is working. The problem is that many people don't want to spend additional dollars on education so we have to look to areas where we can "cut" to find the money we need and 12 billion a month in Iraq seems to be a good place to start ? No matter what state you move to a good portion of your taxes go to public education but I'll agree with you that New Jersey in particular taxes its citizens to death.....I believe that its a fact that of all the counties in the United States New Jersey has 13 of the top 20 counties for the most tax burdened citizens. I am self employed and I can tell you that I pay all kinds of state taxes that either don't exist in other states or are far lower. I'm 62 and as soon as I can get my semi-retirement ducks in a row I'm outta here to live in Florida near my children. Unless you have family that your close to here in Jersey only a fool would wish to stay and continue to have their pocket picked and wallet empted by this state when there are so many other more desirable and cheaper areas to live.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 PM

34 posts, read 94,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
The concept here is "equality" for all in education......a child from a low income family shouldn't be punished or handicapped for his parents low income.....he should have the same education opportunities available to help lift himself up from his economic situation. The United States is 35th in the world on education and 13% of our population is at poverty level. We can't keep following the same plan and expect different results.....our system has to change !!!!

A friend of mine teaches in Paterson and you would be extremely surprised. They have more/better computers, better science labs/equipment, better desks, etc then the middle class town that we both went to school in. Everything material wise is top notch.

Inner city schools have better things then middle class schools because of all the money they get from the state.... Its only the quality of teachers and the ability of the students to learn that differs.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
it doesn't have to go back to wars, but it's also not a white/black thing.

the title of this thread is troll-baiting

I'm not the OP, I didn't say anything about black/white, so this reply to me doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey