Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruyagami View Post
Okay I have searched and searched the New Jersey forum for info on Perth Amboy and all I have been able to come up with is conflicting opinions about the place. I'm hoping someone can give me an honest, up to date, and unbiased answer to one or both of my questions.

1. Has Perth Amboy really changed for the better in the last two years, in terms of safety mainly or is it still kind of a dump?

2. What are the best apt. communities to rent from? I heard Harbortown was nice but that it isn't anymore.

Also I am a 24 year old single female with no kids, I'm going to be moving with my roommate/best friend who is also single and without kids so whether or not it's a good family place doesn't apply. All we really want out of this town is a relatively safe place to sleep at night and/or recuperate from whatever we get into in N.Y.C.

I hope someone can help thanx
Cities don't change in 2 years safety wise. I can say that it's very well patrolled, maybe to many cops, i was just there walking and questions by cops. The city is 80% spanish in a way that makes it safer and friendlier but also an element of danger because it's lower income. There are many spanish bars and people even at night in the community, some good some hoodlum.

I assume ur not buying. I would avoid any large apartment complex and stick to the streets that have more houses. It's not that dangerous it only seems so, I would move furthest from state st jsut because it seems like the shady part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,275 times
FACT: Perth Amboy is SAFER than the US Average City. Yes SAFER. People on here like to STEROTYPE, and ASSUME things. Get the facts.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 10,372 times
Perth Amboy is filled with crime& gangs. You don't want to come live here. I am moving from Amnoy asap. Harbor Town is a very bad place to live there are shoot outs there and gangs. The school systems here stinks I know b/c I work there. The kids do not learn anything. This town is on the bottom of the list as far as academics and test score. A lot of immigrants and are ghetto the kids act just like the parents so sad. Don't move to Amboy so ghetto and disrespectful. Counting the day bc I will be moving soon and leaving this ghetto town.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,372 times
Angry Don't move to Amboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-hate-Amboy View Post
Perth Amboy is filled with crime& gangs. You don't want to come live here. I am moving from Amnoy asap. Harbor Town is a very bad place to live there are shoot outs there and gangs. The school systems here stinks I know b/c I work there. The kids do not learn anything. This town is on the bottom of the list as far as academics and test score. A lot of immigrants and are ghetto the kids act just like the parents so sad. Don't move to Amboy so ghetto and disrespectful. Counting the day bc I will be moving soon and leaving this ghetto town.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,310 times
I live in 'Harbortown' & YES it is like GETTO! (NOT the rent; 2br $1,500 + utilities) The city is nice BUT the people are *******s; 95% spanish w/ a 'chip' on their shoulders! I feel like I'm in a third world country (or Queens, nyc) NO PLACE to park ur car; garbage in the streets! If you work in NYC & are looking 4 a good place to live I would recommend Linden, (more 'American' than perth amboy) it's train station is centrally located. If you are retired than I would say live in the Dominican Republic, it's just like perth amboy but far less expensive than the USA.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:42 PM

275 posts, read 213,859 times
Perth Amboy is a relatively safe town, but obviously it has its degree of danger. Since you are single, then school ratings are irrelevant. However, if you plan to work in NYC and tend to stay at work long hours; then you may want to consider other options. The town is cheap and it has a train station that goes to NYC (not sure if it has express service into the city). As many other have said, the large majority of its resident are Spanish or Spanish descent and also low income. But this town is populated by hard working people.

That being said, you can find equally affordable housing and true diverse atmosphere in towns with less commuting time like Woodbridge, Rahway, or Edison.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM

88,539 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
Perth Amboy is a relatively safe town, but obviously it has its degree of danger. Since you are single, then school ratings are irrelevant. However, if you plan to work in NYC and tend to stay at work long hours; then you may want to consider other options. The town is cheap and it has a train station that goes to NYC (not sure if it has express service into the city). As many other have said, the large majority of its resident are Spanish or Spanish descent and also low income. But this town is populated by hard working people.

That being said, you can find equally affordable housing and true diverse atmosphere in towns with less commuting time like Woodbridge, Rahway, or Edison.
You can't know for sure that the OP is single or doesn't have children nine years later.

It does have some express trains to the city that jump over the Rahway/Avenel/Linden/Liz/North Liz stops. Other express trains jump over Perth Amboy.

The thing that bugs me about Perth Amboy, as a NJCL rider, is how piggy and disgusting the people there appear to be. Nowhere else between Monmouth County and Newark is there so much garbage thrown into the right-of-way. I'm talking mattresses, old kid stuff like swimming pools and toy kitchens, regular garbage, tires, you name it. It's as though the citizens of Perth Amboy just ride to the end of their streets and throw their bulk garbage over the edge. Is that a thing there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey