Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Right, he or she never had my actual CC #, but was about to "socially engineer" the company to use the existing card on file to bill services to their new device.

The company asked for my mame and address as verification, as well as phone #, all of which were on the Fedex return address packing slip.
Thanks for the added info. It's a good thing to consider when we sell things. I'm sure this is low on the identity theft totem pole but I'm also sure this person isn't the first one to try it.

Glad you were able to resolve it so easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
shame. IF that kid used his talents in a good way at a career that is honest, he would go far too.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:40 AM

652 posts, read 1,784,687 times
Well for starters the interstate nature of the crime makes it FBI right away. The use of telephone lines is wire fraud. I suspect the post office should also be informed. I don't know if FEDEX is considered a postal service and covered by the fraud regulations.
This kid is doing major felony crimes here, don't even hesitate call the FBI, Police and Post Office as soon as you read this. This kid is the next wall street con artist in training!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:45 AM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
Quote:
I have been the "victim" of a unique fraud where someone who purchased a piece of electronic equipment from me on eBay, was able to call up customer service of the product and pose as me and charge a small claims sum of money to my credit card to receive the service associated with that piece of electronic equipment (think electronic item that has service, like Sirius).

We got the mess sorted out with the service provider, and I will be getting my money back.

How can I serve justice to this person so he is not inclined to try this again? The company can provide telephone recordings of this person pretending to be me. Sorry for the lack of details... Not sure if I should disclose all of that.

I found out by some research that it is probably a kid. This makes me feel a bit bad about trying to get the kid in trouble but I feel that there must be SOME form of punishment, at LEAST the parents should be made aware of what their child is doing.

Just nuts, that someone bought something fro me, I have THEIR ADDRESS, NAME, PHONE #, ETC. and they think they could rip me off and get away with it.

This goes across state lines so I wouldn't even know who to contact...
The Federal Bureau of Investigation

Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
The law in New Jersey is very clear....if you can prove fraud you automatically get tripple damages on top of your initial damages !!!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:42 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,452 times
i agree that you should do something. i would probably call the FBI and at least ask them how they want you to proceed. if it is indeed a young kid, maybe just having the FBI call them will be enough to scare them straight. i don't know if this kid should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law but it also depends on just how old he/she is. hopefully the parents will make sure the kid never tries anything like that again.
i'm glad it worked out well for you.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:51 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I called the parents, and they hung up on me as soon as I asked for "the legal guardian of so and so".

I called their local police who instructed me to call my local police. I did end up talking to my local police (hate to waste their time on something so petty though) and filed a report.

I also sumbitted this to the FTC and 1 other federal organization (can't seem to remember which that was) but have not spoken with FBI.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
I called the parents, and they hung up on me as soon as I asked for "the legal guardian of so and so".

I called their local police who instructed me to call my local police. I did end up talking to my local police (hate to waste their time on something so petty though) and filed a report.

I also sumbitted this to the FTC and 1 other federal organization (can't seem to remember which that was) but have not spoken with FBI.
They hung up on you? Well, that is just sad, however, they may have been advised by an attorney to not speak to you. You just don't know who you're dealing with these days and they may not know that you just want a little justice and some sort of assurance that they will try to keep their problem child in check.

You had no other recourse than to report this matter to the FTC and police; I would have. As sdweisman said, I wish that the Feds would make the little punk quake in his boots and be too afraid to pull a similar stunt any time soon, or ever again. It doesn't usually work that way, not in my experience. Burt and Erney, the policemen from It's a Wonderful Life just don't exist in my world. It will be charges, court, fines, a juvenile record; I've seen it happen.

I sincerely hope that this matter is taken care of to your satisfaction. I've had to deal with the nasty fallout of internet transactions gone bad and it was an energy sucking, time consuming experience. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey