Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,033,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
You're very focused, half off peak.
isn't that what they say about people who are clinically insane ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:38 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,626,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
You mean like those people who bought NJ real estate at crazy bubble prices?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,033,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
the investors & flippers got what they deserved.

everyone else that you lump into that category... well, who knew this would happen ? and, you gotta live somewhere

I often wonder how many times the impetus (to buy a home) comes from the wife...

(ducking & running for cover)

Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinetteNJ View Post
Buying your first home is extremely stressful; any new experience that involves huge commitment and tons of money is! Weren't you nervous when you got married? In any case, your realtor should make the process as educational for you as possible. Every aspect of the transaction should be explained, as well as the paperwork involved.

As important as a great real estate agent is an excellent attorney. DON'T USE AN ATTORNEY WHO DOESN'T SPECIALIZE IN REAL ESTATE! Also, steer clear of attorneys that 'mix specialties.' It's very frustrating for everyone involved when your attorney can't be reached because they're in court all day attending to their divorce clients. Real estate transactions have a tendency to be very time sensitive and no one wants to wait two days until your attorney finds time to respond.

I was curious so checked out what was available in Bergen County $270K and under...not a bad selection; 117 in total and some in great towns. Just beware of flood zones when you're in that price range. Flood zone info is available on a superficial level on Realist.com; your real estate agent should know that. Further to that, visit the town hall and find out if the property's in a flood zone.

Good luck, have fun and keep saving your money! The larger your down payment, the better!
I couldn't agree more.
Definitely get a Real Estate attorney if you're going to use one. Don't go for the bargain priced ones either.
They can make or break your home buying experience. I had a bad one and it was a nightmare. Obviously, I'd never use that office again. I'd go for one by word of mouth this time and not advertisement.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,576,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Purchased home in 2003 for 425K
Sold same home in 2008 for 510K

Not all were stupid

Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM

263 posts, read 523,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Purchased home in 2003 for 425K
Sold same home in 2008 for 510K

Not all were stupid
Do you realize that you lost money? 425K inflation adjusted is 500K add to that closing costs, real estate fees and the mortgage payment which is mostly taxes for five years.

On the other hand, selling now and accepting this loss is a smart move.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
You're very focused, half off peak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I am not sure what i am accused of and why I am insane. If anything, I put a great effort to rationally support my opinions.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,512,975 times
I don't know, it just seems like you have an axe to grind. And you don't accept the fact that people need to buy housing no matter what charts and graphs say about pricing.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I don't know, it just seems like you have an axe to grind. And you don't accept the fact that people need to buy housing no matter what charts and graphs say about pricing.
I am not sure why you have this impression. If I did not accept the fact that people need to buy housing, I would not encourage them to bid, would I? Half peak, of course.

As for the axe, I have one to grind towards RE agents, irresponsible buyers/sellers, finance/politicos who created the mess, and anyone else who suggests that this is a good time to buy.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,512,975 times
OK, I see what you're saying, but I take exception to your prohibition of saying that this is a good or bad time to buy. In real life when people need to buy they buy, no matter what the pricing trends are. I realize you're trying to do your part to reign in the madness, but that's already been done. The entire world is in an economic mess and everybody knows it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey