Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,735,756 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, I went for a cyst removal on my face last Thursday. I was referred, because of the location, to a dermatologist/plastic surgeon, that is supposed to be the best in NJ.

I got there and got on the operating table. The doc gave me the numbing shot, put down the needle and proceeded. I felt EVERYTHING - scalpel cut, removal, internal and external stitches.
The nurse had to keep tissues (or whatever it was) blotting the tears because I was crying severly from the pain. I told the doctor I could feel everything. He said, "oh, you can feel the pressure". I said no, I feel exactly what you're doing. I can feel the cutting, etc.
He said, "it will only be a few minutes. It will be over quick".
I know someone that works for a derm and she asked me how it went and I told her what happened.
She asked how long after the anesthesia did he wait to begin and I told her immediately.
She said that was very wrong and he should have waited a minimum of 15 minutes. He didn't wait 15 seconds.

Here's my question. Can I report this to anyone? I'm not looking to gain anything from it, just inform. Well, actually, I wouldn't mind an apology. I was going to call the office, but my dh brought up a good point. He said if they cared, it wouldn't have been done like that to begin with.
I'm really angry that I was put through so much unnecessary pain.
Has anyone been through this before and if so, can you call anyone and report this?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:00 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,554,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
As some of you know, I went for a cyst removal on my face last Thursday. I was referred, because of the location, to a dermatologist/plastic surgeon, that is supposed to be the best in NJ.

I got there and got on the operating table. The doc gave me the numbing shot, put down the needle and proceeded. I felt EVERYTHING - scalpel cut, removal, internal and external stitches.
The nurse had to keep tissues (or whatever it was) blotting the tears because I was crying severly from the pain. I told the doctor I could feel everything. He said, "oh, you can feel the pressure". I said no, I feel exactly what you're doing. I can feel the cutting, etc.
He said, "it will only be a few minutes. It will be over quick".
I know someone that works for a derm and she asked me how it went and I told her what happened.
She asked how long after the anesthesia did he wait to begin and I told her immediately.
She said that was very wrong and he should have waited a minimum of 15 minutes. He didn't wait 15 seconds.

Here's my question. Can I report this to anyone? I'm not looking to gain anything from it, just inform. Well, actually, I wouldn't mind an apology. I was going to call the office, but my dh brought up a good point. He said if they cared, it wouldn't have been done like that to begin with.
I'm really angry that I was put through so much unnecessary pain.
Has anyone been through this before and if so, can you call anyone and report this?
Thanks in advance.
Did you research this doctor yourself or did you just go by recommendations? Perhaps he has a history?? I'm not sure what you can do about it... it will be your word against his word?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 AM

I went by referral of my doc and researched myself. He is so well renowned in the field that he has written and co-written several books and textbooks.

I know it would be mine against his. I just wanted to, I don't know what I want. I don't want anyone else to go through this again and I want someone to know how angry/upset I am about this experience. Honestly, why put someone through that unnecessarily?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,554,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I went by referral of my doc and researched myself. He is so well renowned in the field that he has written and co-written several books and textbooks.

I know it would be mine against his. I just wanted to, I don't know what I want. I don't want anyone else to go through this again and I want someone to know how angry/upset I am about this experience. Honestly, why put someone through that unnecessarily?
Call your doctor and tell her/him.. I know my PCP tends to call any doctors she refers if any of her patience have any complaints.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,031,840 times
wiley is right. It is going to be your word against his. However, the Patients' Bill of Rights here in NJ is clear. You are supposed to receive considerate and respectful care consistent with sound nursing and medical practices which it sounds like you may not have.

If you have the time, I would suggest researching his history. It may be a PITA because you have to go month-by-month to see each disciplinary action, but you can get that information here.

If you do want to file a formal complaint, there is a form located at the link below.

New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiner's Complaint Form

Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 AM

Thanks, everyone. I will research his history. Did find on ratemds (I think), there were quite a few other people that were dissatisfied with their treatment by him. Almost the same as mine except they didn't go into great detail as I did in this post.

I will be seeing my primary today and the derms other office on Thursday to have the stitches removed. I will tell my primary as I don't think the other office will say or do anything about it. After all, I think he's part owner of the practice.

Thanks for the links. I just may file something only to inform others.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,621,685 times
Sorry to hear you had to go through that experience. I know the nerve endings in the face are sensitive, but I don't think you should have been in pain during this procedure.

I would write a letter to the doctor's office, describing your experience and informing the doctor that, although you're not seeking anything out of this, you want to make him/her aware of it to help prevent this from happening down the road. I'd invite the doctor to call you to discuss further.

Sadly, I don't think you'll receive any response. Doctors are probably so afraid of lawsuits, and their insurance companies probably train them under the "say nothing" school of thought. But that doesn't mean your message won't get through and he may be more careful next time.

Incidentally, I have read articles about how many malpractice suits against doctors can be avoided by a simple apology. This sounds like a prime example of where one is in order.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 AM

23,799 posts, read 33,287,564 times
Another thing you can do.. go to google maps, look him up by address you're then able to make a review. I would add it there. Also go to big yellow.com, I think you can review there as well.

Sorry you had to go through that.
I probably would have made him stop. I've made dentists stop when extracting a tooth because I could still feel it.

I did wonder if maybe your facial nerves were sensitive but you said he didn't wait. It's probably a case of over-booking which is wrong.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 AM

The place looked like a factory and he even commented "not even 8:30 and I'm done with the first one".

I think Lusitan is right, an apology would work miracles in some cases. I read some reviews on google maps saying basically the same thing I did. So thanks for the links. I'm going to check out bigyellow.com too and see what I find.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Office called me today to see how I'm doing. I told the woman on the phone what happened and she told me to email the office manager.

So I did.

I don't know if they will even get back to me, but at least I put it all in writing.
Funny, I still don't feel better.
I think I will if I do get a response saying they're sorry for the experience.

I'll let you all know if I get anything back from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey