Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,448,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Even my Liberal Relatives from the NYC area feel that NJ/NYC Area property taxes are ridiculous.
Compared to many NJ towns, New York City taxes seem like a relative bargain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM

4,152 posts, read 5,017,921 times
some feel that higher property taxes are a means to keep the riff-raff from moving in...

Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,491,376 times
I mean, $6,500 a year for a $360,000 house in West Patterson or Willow Park as I guess its called now...that's ridiculous...I saw it when looking through Real Estate listings

Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,557,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I mean, $6,500 a year for a $360,000 house in West Patterson or Willow Park as I guess its called now...that's ridiculous...I saw it when looking through Real Estate listings
That's a bargain for being so close to NYC

Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,909,415 times
Perhaps if EVERYONE paid taxes, they would actually begin to give a damn where there tax money was going and how much waste and corruption we have in our state. The issue is that those who don't pay taxes receive the most in services. If they had to PAY for those services fairly, perhaps there's be some more scrutiny and participation on the part of the whole populace.

I'm in the process of starting a business right now and you should see the ridiculous fees this state collects to support its bureaucracy. It's an absolute outrage!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,602,732 times
funny, 4 pages in this thread...and not one person answered my 2 questions .....................(save wiley great quip!, LMAO)

Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
funny, 4 pages in this thread...and not one person answered my 2 questions .....................(save wiley great quip!, LMAO)
Well, the question you asked is a loaded, baiting, agenda-based question, so quite frankly those who want an intelligent debate probably ignored it.

To answer your question about why low-income folks would vote for Lonegan, I don't assume that many will. That said, just because you make less money does not mean you support the out- of-control spending and programs that exist in this disastrous state under Democrat control. The North Jersey Democrat machine and its union cronies have bled us dry, and some people (no matter their income) think this is wrong.

Corslime is who he is, Christie is probably another usual Jersey RINO, and Lonegan is a reformer who will come in and do his best to fight the good fight and stop those who pilfer our money in the suburbs and send it all to the slums of Newark, Camden, Paterson and the rest.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,602,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Well, the question you asked is a loaded, baiting, agenda-based question, so quite frankly those who want an intelligent debate probably ignored it.

To answer your question about why low-income folks would vote for Lonegan, I don't assume that many will. That said, just because you make less money does not mean you support the out- of-control spending and programs that exist in this disastrous state under Democrat control. The North Jersey Democrat machine and its union cronies have bled us dry, and some people (no matter their income) think this is wrong.

Corslime is who he is, Christie is probably another usual Jersey RINO, and Lonegan is a reformer who will come in and do his best to fight the good fight and stop those who pilfer our money in the suburbs and send it all to the slums of Newark, Camden, Paterson and the rest.
what's loaded about asking why would lower income people vote for someone who would raise taxes? why wouldn't he lower the flat tax so NOONE pays more? thank you for answering btw - just remember the question when lonegan doesn't win and everyone wants to blame the "urban areas". the reasons you won't vote dem are the same reasons poor working class won't vote repub.

since you seem to be a supporter, tell me what he's going to do to lower PROPERTY taxes - that issue seems to be conspicuously (sp?) absent on his website. and how is he going to abolish abbott?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
since you seem to be a supporter, tell me what he's going to do to lower PROPERTY taxes - that issue seems to be conspicuously (sp?) absent on his website. and how is he going to abolish abbott?
About 80% of your property taxes are school taxes. The issue in NJ is that, since billions of dollars are funneled each year to urban districts due to Abbott, the state cannot aid local districts like most states. Couple that with the power of the NJEA, and local communities are saddled with huge debt loads they have to fund nearly 100%.

If you get rid of Abbot and - hopefully - distribute state money fairly to suburban districts (where the money is coming from anyway!) local school boards will not need to tax the community nearly as much.

You also need to reduce state spending and employee benefits, as well as end "pay to play" contracts, and that will help too. A governor cannot summarily cut property taxes, as the state does not levy such taxes directly. The taxes are determined by the local communities via the local governing body and school board. If THOSE boards do not have to pay as much to provide services, the property tax will naturally come down.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,594,256 times
Quote:
The issue is that those who don't pay taxes receive the most in services. If they had to PAY for those services fairly, perhaps there's be some more scrutiny and participation on the part of the whole populace.
Exactly... the people kicking in 0% are recieving 99% of the benefit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey