Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:35 AM

6 posts, read 27,396 times

Advertisements

no one has said one word of hillside and i lived there and it is truly a safe place because I travel all hours of the night to include to ironbound, paterson, carlstad, and I must say newark. newark is the largest city in new jersey and its history as a port town in down played. If you need to live at the airport hillside is only 5 minutes and you do not have to worry about getting mugged or car jacked. no gangs are trolling the areas. police present is great. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
"Nice area" and "airport" are oxymorons. For years redlining has put all the poor neighborhoods near airports.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:29 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetyman40 View Post
no one has said one word of hillside and i lived there and it is truly a safe place because I travel all hours of the night to include to ironbound, paterson, carlstad, and I must say newark. newark is the largest city in new jersey and its history as a port town in down played. If you need to live at the airport hillside is only 5 minutes and you do not have to worry about getting mugged or car jacked. no gangs are trolling the areas. police present is great. Good luck.
Police presence is indeed good, but Hillside definitely has gangs (albeit not a screaming amount)

Old 10-13-2016, 04:29 PM

14 posts, read 11,592 times
Newark is a crime ridden hell hole

Old 10-13-2016, 08:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari9900 View Post
Yeah, but it's better than it was in 2009, when the OP started this thread.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:25 AM

115 posts, read 146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Yeah, but it's better than it was in 2009, when the OP started this thread.
Absolutely! Much better -- especially the urban areas bordering Harrison, Ironbound, downtown, University heights.... Although other areas in Newark don't have as much "happening" as these areas, there are also other nice areas.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:41 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari9900 View Post
Do you really think that the OP is going to find that opinion to be helpful, in light of the fact that she posted her question over 7 1/2 years ago, and has never returned to City Data?

Old 10-14-2016, 06:48 PM

10,461 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Do you really think that the OP is going to find that opinion to be helpful, in light of the fact that she posted her question over 7 1/2 years ago, and has never returned to City Data?
She was most likely murdered by a gang, thats the reason.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 PM

625 posts, read 797,073 times
So much ignorance on this post. I'm a white male, have lived in Newark my entire life, college education, great job and own two homes in the neighborhood. Plenty of good in Newark.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:19 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matizzle View Post
I'M A SWF, 26 TRANSFERING FROM AUSTIN, TX TO NEWARK, NJ. I COULD USE SOME ADVICE ON AN AREA TO LIVE NEAR THE AIRPORT (WHERE I WILL BE WORKING). I'D LIKE A COMMUNITY THAT IS AS CLOSE TO AUSTIN LIVING AS POSSIBLE! LAID BACK, FUN, and UNIQUE BUT WITH A BUDGET BC THE COST OF LIVING IS CHANGING BUT NOT MY PAY!

ALSO I'VE NEVER BEEN ON A TRAIN, BUS OR SUBWAY IN MY ENTIRE LIFE , IT'S ALL JARGON TO ME! WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST/SAFEST/QUICKEST/INEXPENSIVE FORM OF TRANSPORTATION? I'M NOT SURE IF I SHOULD DRIVE MY CAR TO NEW JERSEY, (I'M HOPING TO MOVE BACK TO TX IN 6 MONTHS OR SO) OR JUST USE PUBLIC MEANS FOR MY STAY IN NJ.?!?!

I WISH TO HAVE LESS THAN A HOUR COMMUTE FROM THE TIME I WALK OUT MY DOOR AND INTO THE AIRPORT...WOULD THIS BE EASY TO COME BY?

THANK YA'LL FOR YOUR TIME!
You are not going to find anything cheap in north Jersey that is safe. Cranford or Clark NJ in Union county would be the safest. You can take NJ transit to the Newark Airport station. It's not a station that you can get to by foot as far as I know nor by car, there's no parking there. It connect to the monorail to get you to the airport.

There are not a lot of subways in NJ.

The great thing is that form Newark Airport you are only 15 minutes from Manhattan so you can easily go there to sightsee. Newark I think has a few local subway lines, the closest thing to a subway is the Path Train, it starts in Newark and goes to Manhattan at 2 different locations, and it's above ground in parts of NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey