Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
exactly. is there really a need for a gay and transexual center? come on already. How about make a computer lab or a study area.
Oh... I can remember a lot of extra-curricular activities going on at the Hill Center computer lab at Rutgers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 AM

345 posts, read 643,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Oh... I can remember a lot of extra-curricular activities going on at the Hill Center computer lab at Rutgers...
Hill Hall on the Newark campus? I've been in the computer lab there a few times, and believe me when I say that my spirits plummet when I see dozens of people just noodling around on Facebook. Really, you couldn't do that at home, you had to come to a computer lab to use Facebook?

As for the topic, I have no problems with LBGT, but I've always been skeptical of the actual good that these centers do for a campus. I'd be perfectly fine with it if it was just a student-run organization, but considering that I, and thousands of other, are having a hell of a time finding money or loans to pay for NJ's already ridiculously overpriced public colleges, I don't think it was the biggest necessity. I'm all for openness and awareness, but it has no point when I can't even afford to go there in the first place

Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Hill Hall on the Newark campus? I've been in the computer lab there a few times, and believe me when I say that my spirits plummet when I see dozens of people just noodling around on Facebook. Really, you couldn't do that at home, you had to come to a computer lab to use Facebook?

As for the topic, I have no problems with LBGT, but I've always been skeptical of the actual good that these centers do for a campus. I'd be perfectly fine with it if it was just a student-run organization, but considering that I, and thousands of other, are having a hell of a time finding money or loans to pay for NJ's already ridiculously overpriced public colleges, I don't think it was the biggest necessity. I'm all for openness and awareness, but it has no point when I can't even afford to go there in the first place
No, she's talking about the Hill Center on the New Brunswick Campus.

I have a question - what exactly does a LGBT Center entail? If I was LGBT, why would I frequent such a center? I'm curious as to why this was opened, when there are many student organizations on every college campus that cater to this sort of social circle.

I have to say, transexual is something that I just cannot relate to.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:26 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,346 times
sheesh, try reading then thinking before you post. From what I am reading most of you are homophobic but don't feel you have the right or permission to openly say this without there being some very negative and lasting repurcussions. Well welcome to the life of a gay person. In fact insert any ostracized class of persons where I put Gay and that is the effect of discrimination in a nutshell, hah! I made a pun.
Oh again the money for this center and any other large publically funded project for that matter, was laid aside many years prior to the start of construction. Like I said before the increase in tuition has taken place already w/o any complaint until you homophobes find out what it has been spent on then you speak of it as if they had just taken your wallets away from you this morning to pay for it.
The reason for having it? It is a presence on campus, a public declaration in materiel form that these people are equal to the rest of us and deserve basic human rights. A place of safety and an emblem of the schools comitment to making these people feel welcome. Something not available in many quarters as seen in these posts.

Again for those still clinging on, the time to complain and make suggestions about spending the money differently was many years ago, not now after the fact.
Doing so now makes you look bad.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
I have no issue with this at all. Live and let live. If these folks want to open a center so they can assimilate amongst like-minded individuals, that's fine by me. They aren't bothering anyone.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Yes - like Tommy said - Hill Center at the New Brunswick Campus. This was the early 90's, though. Where folks would sit around and be on online BBSes. We were all a bunch of geeks.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:56 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Oh again the money for this center and any other large publically funded project for that matter, was laid aside many years prior to the start of construction. Like I said before the increase in tuition has taken place already w/o any complaint until you homophobes find out what it has been spent on then you speak of it as if they had just taken your wallets away from you this morning to pay for it.

The reason for having it? It is a presence on campus, a public declaration in materiel form that these people are equal to the rest of us and deserve basic human rights. A place of safety and an emblem of the schools comitment to making these people feel welcome. Something not available in many quarters as seen in these posts.
I could care less where and when the money was made available. this is not something that should use taxpayer money.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:58 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
No, she's talking about the Hill Center on the New Brunswick Campus.

I have a question - what exactly does a LGBT Center entail? If I was LGBT, why would I frequent such a center? I'm curious as to why this was opened, when there are many student organizations on every college campus that cater to this sort of social circle.

I have to say, transexual is something that I just cannot relate to.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Usually these centers are just a desk at the Student Center with a few brochures on "coming out," info on local support groups, brochures on sexual health, etc. At the universities I attended, there were student and faculty volunteers who kept office hours there in case students wanted to come talk to someone about coming out, or if their roommates were giving them a hard time because they're LGBT, or if they just need support.

The website in the OP said it's a space in the Student Center. There wasn't a new multi-million dollar building constructed for this. I doubt there's any paid staff. It's having material and a volunteer in an already-existing space to help students. To me it seems pretty harmless (and cheap). The pansies that the grounds crew will plant by the MSU sign this Spring will probably cost more than the cost to operate this "center."

Most universities also have similar types of centers for women, minority students, students of any number of ethnic/national/religious backgrounds, etc.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:07 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
i'm shocked at some of the responses...you'd think they were using taxpayer money.

i'll bet dollars to donuts those complaining are straight white men.

why have sports? frats? sororities? they cost a hell of a lot more and probably benefit a smaller percentage than LGBT.

people never cease to astound me.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:21 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
sheesh, try reading then thinking before you post. From what I am reading most of you are homophobic but don't feel you have the right or permission to openly say this without there being some very negative and lasting repurcussions. Well welcome to the life of a gay person. In fact insert any ostracized class of persons where I put Gay and that is the effect of discrimination in a nutshell, hah! I made a pun.

Again for those still clinging on, the time to complain and make suggestions about spending the money differently was many years ago, not now after the fact.
Doing so now makes you look bad.

you know I do know one group more ostricized than homosexuals. When your black you go with blacks, when your polish you go to the polish, you get the point when your FAT nobody wants you. Even fat men dont want fat girlfriends or vise a versa. This group the extremely obese is the most discriminated group in the world!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey