Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 PM

89 posts, read 243,366 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a house to buy in the North NJ area and found this single family house in south Bergen County. Eveything seems fine except that the house doesn't have a basement. It half sits on concret slab and half over a 3-foot crawspace.

The first floor right now is carpeted. I wanted to change it to hardwood floor, if I ever buy it. My biggest concern is: without a basement, will the first floor become too cold during winter?

I searched all the for sale SFH in this town and found this is the only one that doesn't have a basement. I also searched all the sold houses in this town since Jan. 2008 and found only 2 houses sold didn't have a basement. So thinking foward, if I have to resell it, will this become a big drawback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 01:10 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,615 times
Hi. I live in a townhome now without a basement. When we are ready to purchase a single family home, we would not buy one without a basement that is either finished or can be finished. In this market, I would move on to another house.

good luck!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 PM

4,178 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemask View Post
without a basement, will the first floor become too cold during winter?
does the house have 2 zone heat ?

if not, and if the t-stat is on the second floor, then yes -- the first floor will be a couple of degrees cooler.

but an unheated basement would be colder still.

I've heard it said that having a basement increases the appeal of a home.
I can't understand that -- I've lived in a house that had one, and now in one that doesn't. The basement was always a source of potential trouble: water infiltration, not easy to access, and if there isn't a walk-out to the outside, danger of being trapped.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
We turned down a house in Bergen County without a basement. It may have been more important to us because we had kids, but since so many houses have them, why pick one without?

I think it definitely would affect resale, since you would be limiting those that want one. And, the house we turned down didn't have a basement specifically because it was in a flood zone. Due diligence!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:57 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
does the house have 2 zone heat ?

if not, and if the t-stat is on the second floor, then yes -- the first floor will be a couple of degrees cooler.

but an unheated basement would be colder still.

I've heard it said that having a basement increases the appeal of a home.
I can't understand that -- I've lived in a house that had one, and now in one that doesn't. The basement was always a source of potential trouble: water infiltration, not easy to access, and if there isn't a walk-out to the outside, danger of being trapped.

There is always a different side to every story.... I would prefer to have a basement.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:33 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
If you can get a home with a basement, finished or not, that is usually the better way to go. There may or may not be another issue. You may want to check the flood maps on file with the county to determine if the home is in a 25, 50, 70, 100, or 500 year flood plain. a 3-4 ft. crawl space is useless if the flooding is similar to what they got up there with Hurricane Floyd. Unfortunately, I can't find the maps online.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
We bought a house with a basement and I can't imagine ever buying one without. We have the laundry a bathroom and a gym down there. My husband also has his instruments, amps, mikes set up. And our basement isn't even finished! It does have an exit into the yard. I'm not sure if one with a crawl space would make the house colder but I love all the storage and fun space down there. It's cooler in the summer and not unbearably cold in the winter.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM

652 posts, read 1,784,687 times
You will not be able to put in hardwood over the slab. that application calls for an engineered wood floor product. This is basically some moisture resistant plywood with a veneer.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 PM

138 posts, read 509,667 times
Considering the lack of a basement, is there sufficient space for the kids to play out from under mom & dad's feet? What about the laundry area; is it conveniently located? Does the price reflect the lack of basement area? Do you have all the 'living room' you need without that basement? If you DM me the address, I can look it up on the online flood maps (although that's something your realtor should do for you).

Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemask View Post
We are looking for a house to buy in the North NJ area and found this single family house in south Bergen County. Eveything seems fine except that the house doesn't have a basement. It half sits on concret slab and half over a 3-foot crawspace.

The first floor right now is carpeted. I wanted to change it to hardwood floor, if I ever buy it. My biggest concern is: without a basement, will the first floor become too cold during winter?

I searched all the for sale SFH in this town and found this is the only one that doesn't have a basement. I also searched all the sold houses in this town since Jan. 2008 and found only 2 houses sold didn't have a basement. So thinking foward, if I have to resell it, will this become a big drawback?
No, it's not a big drawback, it is a HUGE drawback. People want/need a basement, resale will be tougher, the house will be very cold. You'll have higher utility bills and hear the noise from the furnace. I wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey