Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 PM

329 posts, read 1,525,574 times

Advertisements

32x16 heated and inground.

any one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:52 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,885,209 times
There are so many factors - lined, concrete, fiberglass? How much patio are you looking for? How level is the lot? Is the yard already fenced? If it is, is it your fence or your neighbors because it has to be yours to qualify? Are there any drainage issues that might need to be addressed? and so on...

5 Years ago I priced a 12 x 24 lined pool on a level lot without a heater. Companies came in and told me it would be around $18K (notice I said they said "around") but in truth the more I learned the more I realized it was really going to be more like $30K. I decided to do something else with the money and last summer I had an above ground installed for around $4K total. It's not as pretty as an inground but we still enjoyed it.

Check out gardenweb.com They have all different forums and one is devoted to swimming pools.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,591,853 times
You're figures sound about right.. for 18K you'll have a pool, and a foot of concrete around it, but you're entire yard is jacked up. My buddy had one put in couple of years ago, and IIRC it wound up costing him around 35-40 grand, by the time he had all the landscaping/hardscaping done around the pool and his lawn re sodded and stuff.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM

thanks HR and Bill your comments really helped me.

Heheh.. Per Feng shui, water brings money to owners they say -- this property has a lake few blocks away.
I fell in love with a 10 year old resale and the home price was listed 50k above the neighbors because of the pool I thought. I did not check it out personally but only pictures and I noticed that the home does have a large private yard (huge lot, regular) and it is fenced and has beautiful garden around it.

I will check that website out.

Mind me asking, How much does it cost to maintain one? I presume its seasonal overhead lasting once a year. What is the average life of the heater and pool before I have to spent fortunes making repairs? Do I need to get a certificate from municipal that its health certified?

Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,885,209 times
I think if you search you'll find that question has been asked here before. My above ground costs about $500 for opening/closing and chemicals for the the season. Then there is the electric used to for the pump and filter and if you are heating the pool that will cost additional.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:23 PM

cool...i will have to make sure I add electricity and pumbling certification , if i buy it.

I wonder, if 100AMPS is sufficient or is there a separate line they tap in to as they do in AC? I have to talk to the inspector

I am not so worried about resale, the owner and his people enjoyed it, thats what matters..

Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,970,443 times
I think a decent 16x32 inground pool has to run $20,000-$30,000 with patios, lighting, etc. I'm sure you can do a cheapie for less than that but inground pools are a headache for resale. At least if you're going to put one in, it should look really nice and be an asset.

-Marc

Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 AM

1 posts, read 164,647 times
Default inground pool 100x50

how much will it cost me

Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM

453 posts, read 1,735,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think a decent 16x32 inground pool has to run $20,000-$30,000 with patios, lighting, etc. I'm sure you can do a cheapie for less than that but inground pools are a headache for resale. At least if you're going to put one in, it should look really nice and be an asset.

-Marc
Very true. And whatever you buy now will most likely have to be replaced or repaired repeatedly. I've had a Sylvan for 17 years and I'm not sure I'd ever do it again. Every year the opening is an adventure to find something that is cracked or broken or needs to be replaced - lights, coping, cement walkways, etc. Don't even think of putting one in unless you are either well off and can afford to pay contractors to do the service, OR extremely handy and willing to put the time and effort in that it requires. We pretty much give up two full weekends a year for the opening and closing, tending to all of the related chores that owning a pool requires. No matter how much we spend in chemicals, we end up draining and powerwashing the pool every couple of years to completely remove the algae that builds up over time.

The fun wears off, and the maintenance is forever.

Rhys

Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edemm View Post
how much will it cost me
Call some pool companies. Get estimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey