Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 11,581 times

Advertisements

My daughter and three year granddaughter are considering renting an apartment in the St. Johns Condos on Paul St. (near Journal Square Path). They are less expensive (with more squsre footage) than condos in Newport and Windsor at Liberty and with playground, gardens, and pool seem child friendly. We are doing the search from Georgia (so haven't actually visited any of these properties) but they will be in NY at the end of the week. Any help or direction would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floramiss View Post
My daughter and three year granddaughter are considering renting an apartment in the St. Johns Condos on Paul St. (near Journal Square Path). They are less expensive (with more squsre footage) than condos in Newport and Windsor at Liberty and with playground, gardens, and pool seem child friendly. We are doing the search from Georgia (so haven't actually visited any of these properties) but they will be in NY at the end of the week. Any help or direction would be appreciated!
Well, the reason St. Johns is cheaper for more space is that it is far less desirable than the Newport Area or Paulus Hook area. I've never been into the St. Johns building, but I've heard it's not so great. And the Journal Square neighborhood I can tell you for a fact ain't so great. It's not a dangerous ghetto, just a pretty old and grimey, and could use some cleaning up.

Newport is a newer area, the buildings are more modern and probably better maintained. There's a mall and other shopping in Newport, which is convenient. But Newport is mostly a hit among young single professionals.

Of the places you listed, Windsor Liberty House would be my pick. It's located in Paulus Hook, which is arguably the best neighborhood in Jersey City. I'd bet there are more young families in PH than in Newport. I'd also bet that Windsor Liberty House is the most expensive of the three buildings you're looking at?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM

329 posts, read 1,529,208 times
i think generally 07032 or what ever the zip code of paulus hook area is , is a good but. also try crystal point condos i believe they are new...
not sure what zip code it falls into.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
i think generally 07032 or what ever the zip code of paulus hook area is , is a good but. also try crystal point condos i believe they are new...
not sure what zip code it falls into.
07302 covers all of Downtown JC (Paulus Hook, Newport, Hamilton Park, etc).
Crystal Point is still under construction. Won't be ready for occupancy for awhile.

I say check Craigslist.org for rentals in "Downtown Jersey City." Also, if the OP's daughter is visiting this weekend, she should spend time walking or driving around to get a feel for the area, which parts of Downtown she may like more than others, and walk into some of the rental buildings to meet an agent and take a look.

The OP's daughter is going to have to learn about daycare, schools, etc. Unfortunately I can't help, but a good resource for info on all things Jersey City is Jersey City List - Jersey City, NJ Information

Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,581 times
Thanks to all for your help. City-data is a fantastic resource!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times
I lived in Heights and walked to Journal Square every day. JSQ is not a good area. It is run down and grimey as others said. With that stated, I could not recommend buying near JSQ. Stick to downtown only.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,892 times
Just as a clarification, 07302 covers most of downtown, but Newport and a few areas around it are in 07310.

As to the original question, Journal Square is definitely less expensive than downtown (and appropriately so given it is less developed). Visit the area and see if you like it. You may, but you may prefer downtown even though it can be more expensive.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:26 PM

198 posts, read 530,356 times
Is the walk from Journal square path station to St. John's condo safe around 10 PM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey