Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times

Advertisements

bababua - check out the article Marc posted.

"Based on the latest data, median selling prices for new and existing homes combined now equal 2.9 times median household incomes, nationwide. This is exactly the ratio that prevailed during the halcyon days of the 1980s, when sales and construction of housing were booming."

Nationally, we're at 2.9 times median household income; in NJ we have a ways to go to catch up with that average. Basically some areas have tanked (check out Detroit, where you can buy a house for literally one dollar) while others have not had their due price correction yet.

Not to mention, the 2.9 ratio was during the "halcyon days of the 1980s" (halycon = calm, peaceful, tranquil). We're hardly living through calm, tranquil, or even peaceful times; we're living through the biggest financial crisis this country has seen since the Great Depression. So there's no reason to think that the ration won't fall even lower than 2.9.

But in a normal, sane market, a ratio of 3x income is about right; maybe slightly more for the NYC-area, but no higher than 4x. And that's in good economic times. In these times, the numbers will be even lower before we are through with this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
I think there is still some ambiguity with the definition of "household income", vis-a-vis single income households vs. dual earner households...

Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I think there is still some ambiguity with the definition of "household income", vis-a-vis single income households vs. dual earner households...
Not really. Median household income equals just that -- the median income of all households, and that includes both single and dual income families.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM

612 posts, read 1,011,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Have home prices bottomed out? - MSN Real Estate

We all know we're not there yet. But this is one of the first mainstream sources that says we might be getting close.
um, is this a joke? I've been reading about people calling the bottom in the MSM since 2006. They've never stopped.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Neither the MSN article nor I are reporting that we are at the bottom. But sometime before we hit the bottom, certain statistics will begin to suggest an improvement.

That is what the MSN article is specifically stating. And that's what the video interview in that article is specifically stating: "Not there yet, further declines necessary to clean out inventory, but light at the end of the tunnel."

I don't have a clue if it's true. But optimism works better than pessimism, so I'm going to run with it!

-Marc

Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 PM

612 posts, read 1,011,077 times
Quote:
Neither the MSN article nor I are reporting that we are at the bottom. But sometime before we hit the bottom, certain statistics will begin to suggest an improvement.

That is what the MSN article is specifically stating. And that's what the video interview in that article is specifically stating: "Not there yet, further declines necessary to clean out inventory, but light at the end of the tunnel."

I don't have a clue if it's true. But optimism works better than pessimism, so I'm going to run with it!

-Marc
Optimism doesn't always work better than pessimism. This entire financial crisis we face as a nation was built entirely on optimism. In fact, optimism is the only thing that has ever led to a major financial crisis.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:

-Marc
In your corner, Marc. The doom and gloom doesn't get us anywhere and there's certainly nothing wrong with being positive. It's a great change right now.
BUT, if things start looking up, the media will actually have to look for news again. I wonder if they forgot how?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM

364 posts, read 826,550 times
Quote:

-Marc
maintaining high price and not letting correction to play out is not optimism. Lower price is good for the health of RE and our economy.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
maintaining high price and not letting correction to play out is not optimism. Lower price is good for the health of RE and our economy.
And the same thing goes for the banks, the insurance companies, the auto companies, the stock market, the oil companies, and the rest. They all should be allowed to fail, regardless of the consequences. Propping them up only delays the inevitable and increases the final cost.

The economic downturn is a forest fire, and as everyone knows, forest fires are a positive and healthy phenomenon.

-Marc

Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: