Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times

Advertisements

I second the hotels at the Raritan Center. I've stayed at the Sheraton twice and it's a nice hotel. I have a locked-in rate of $80/night which is a steal considering I think the rooms now go for $120/night. Nearby is the Homestead Suites which is an extended stay facility. I used to work for them here in Virginia and the cost is generally around $50/night. It's not as superficially nice as the Sheraton or other more renowned hotels but it has all that you need, and a kitchen in the rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stltova View Post
You Jersey people ROCK!! I love the details you are providing me!
Thanks
keep the info coming!!
We coulda told you that.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:55 AM

12 posts, read 47,297 times
I agree w/ I-295 - Its a great road to bypass the Turnpike, w/ the major exception of that funky exit 26 interchange. Best to pay the extra $$ & take the Turnpike.

I don't know anything about the hotels @ exit 10, but I do know there are hotels off I-287 @ exits 5 & 10. Exit 5 (Stelton Rd/Piscataway) is a big shopping area. Hampton, Days, Holiday Inns w/ mega restaurant chains in the area. Exit 10 (Somerset/Franklin Twp) - not so many restaurants - but most hotels have a national chain restaurant w/in the hotel (ChiChi's. Pizza Hut, TGI.Fridays, etc). For B'fast - McD's at exit 13 (Rte 28 West) - Also @ exit 5 & 10 - but you may have to ask for assist in finding them.

Ditto on the rush hour btwn 7-9am - Good Reason to avoid Turnpike. If you leave @ 9am, you won't meet up w/ more traffic when you hit the TappanZee an hour later. Take I-287 North to TappanZee, then to I-684 - but you'll hit traffic in WhitePlains. You might want to consider a longer route up the NY State Thruway to I-81 (in NY) - It might be faster.

For up-to-date traffic reports keep your radio tuned to FM: 101.5 (Talkradio) thru NJ & AM 77 (Talkradio), 88 (NewsRadio), 1010 (NewsRadio) North of I-287/I-80 interchange. (Once NJ 101.5 starts fading switch to AM station). NOTE: NJ 101.5 afternoon guys may discuss vulgar topics.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
I will be traveling on the Jersey Turnpike enroute to New England in a few weeks. I will have my two young children with me. What is the commute on that road like? I think we'll arrive on the pike in southern Jersey around 6pm or 7pm (we are leaving Norfolk, VA at 2 pm).

I hope to get as far as I can before hitting I-287 or the Garden State Pkway- stay the night, then finish my drive the following day.

So, if you have any advice- from exits not to stop off on, hotels to stay at, or any other good info for my drive, I'd appreciate it!

Also, is it better to take I-287 to I-684 or just take the Garden State Pkway to 684? (Time of day- sometime between 7 and 9 am)

Thanks!

Did you make the trip yet ?
Let us know how you made out if you did or when you do

Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM

98 posts, read 784,117 times
Hi Brian, I am making the trip next week! Thank you for thinking of me! I reserved my hotel in NJ and mentally preparing for this challenge! I'll let you know how everything went in a week or so! Everyone who has replied has been of great help and I truly appreciate it.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 PM

20 posts, read 102,429 times
Quote:
moneyguy- Yes, I plan to go 13 as you mentioned and will most likely stick to the pike in jersey vs. I-295. I don't mind paying the money, especially knowing there will be stops along the way. I found the NJ turnpike website- it's pretty informative!
Will I get confused going from 13 to 1 to dupont highway to 40? I can't take 13 to the Deleware Mem Bridge?
Thanks for your help!!!!!!! I really appreciate it!
sorry, didn't see this reply until now. technically, yes, 13 will take you all the way to 295, which takes you over the Delaware Mem Bridge. 13 merges with 1 at some point, and you can either take 1 north to 95 (and then to 295), or stay on 13 which turns into Dupont Highway which hits 295. 40 is what you will be on when you land on the Jersey side of the Delaware Mem Bridge, you won't even realize you are on it. Stay to the left and you'll be on the NJ Turnpike almost immediately.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Brian, I am making the trip next week! Thank you for thinking of me! I reserved my hotel in NJ and mentally preparing for this challenge! I'll let you know how everything went in a week or so! Everyone who has replied has been of great help and I truly appreciate it.
Good luck and have a fun and SAFE trip

Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyguy View Post
sorry, didn't see this reply until now. technically, yes, 13 will take you all the way to 295, which takes you over the Delaware Mem Bridge. 13 merges with 1 at some point, and you can either take 1 north to 95 (and then to 295), or stay on 13 which turns into Dupont Highway which hits 295. 40 is what you will be on when you land on the Jersey side of the Delaware Mem Bridge, you won't even realize you are on it. Stay to the left and you'll be on the NJ Turnpike almost immediately.
Got it! Thank you so much!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Smile The trip went great!!!!

Thank you to all that helped me with my trip!

We left Norfolk on April 12th, stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Exit 10 off the NJ Turnpike and made it to Mass in 4 hours the next day! What a wonderful, easy trip I had! I owe part of that to all of you who helped me feel like it would be easy!!!

The trip back was fine too- we drove it in one day and it took 10 1/2 hours with two stops.

I am already planning a June trip!! It was just as easy a flying without the hassle of a rental car!

Thanks again!

Sue

Old 05-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you to all that helped me with my trip!

We left Norfolk on April 12th, stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Exit 10 off the NJ Turnpike and made it to Mass in 4 hours the next day! What a wonderful, easy trip I had! I owe part of that to all of you who helped me feel like it would be easy!!!

The trip back was fine too- we drove it in one day and it took 10 1/2 hours with two stops.

I am already planning a June trip!! It was just as easy a flying without the hassle of a rental car!

Thanks again!

Sue
Sorry i missed this post until now but
Glad to hear you had a fun and most of all safe trip
I think i passed you on the turnpike that day
You were the one with the Virginia plates right? (only kidding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey