Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:19 PM

825 posts, read 3,161,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu25 View Post
Yes. We like it here. Plenty of homes for sale but this was our investment. And I hate to think its ruined now. We had no warning that next door would become section 8. It wasnt when we bought this house but then they sold it and the current landlord is a real estate agent that doesnt give a crap. He doesnt have to live here and deal with this - he just wants the rent check. How in the world does he get $1420 for one floor from section 8? Arent there limits? I know this because he had the nerve to ring our doorbell a couple years ago and ask us if we wanted to the house...We were like. NO. You are not making money off us after all this. If the Police doesnt help I am writing a lette to the paper that posted such a nice descroption of the real estate agent a year ago. I want to tell them how nice and community oriented he really is. But I will wait to see what happens.
yeah, good luck to you. I wish there was like a non-sketchy you could find out about the neighbor's before you move into an area. these multi-family homes sound like trouble, i best stay away. regardless of how they work. I'm still very unclear about that, but that's ok.... i'll just keep my distance and not move into one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:52 AM

707 posts, read 1,022,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Section 8...I would never live near them. Sell as soon as possible..I doubt you can though..Nobody likes living near such trash..

Section 8 is accepted in every town. Not sure how if works in Bergen County, but in Passaic county, its illegal for a landlord to state that they do not take section 8. Why that is, i have no idea? How can someone force you to accept government subsidize tenants.

But also, anyone with a criminal record, or if the voucher recipient has ties with someone with a known criminal record, is not eligible for section 8. I will also so, not everyone with section 8 are trouble makers, you have those chosen few who may have originated for a not so nice area and bought that mentality to the good area. I wish the Lyndhurst owner luck. Definately persuit the Civil court thing in Bergen county, the judges as well as the section 8 administrators or more strict than Passaic County.

Make your tax dollars work for you.
good luck.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
We had a few problems with our neighbors over the years. They have damaged our property and none of them seem to work so they are up all night and in and out. And it's a 3 family house and all of them come and go alllll night. To make a long story short. We have called the police many times due to the noise over the last few years. We finally had enough after they started screaming at us in our bedroom window because we were "spying". Meanwhile there are 20 underage kids in and out at 11pm. So we went in to make a complaint and found out: they are all section 8. The one guy has a history of violence with woman as well as repetetive drug use. The other people have have been taken out in handcuffs twice in the last 6 months for drugs of course. I live on such a nice block in Bergen county and this is what I have to live next to? I cant sell. But i cant get any sleep! The police say they will speak to housing and building code inspector but in the meantime I live next to dangerous folks...What in the world do I do? The landlord doesnt live there nor does he care. I have spoken to him about this a few years ago and he told me it wasnt his problem and that I should call the cops...NICE. But isnt he utimatley responsible as the landlord?
For noise, you need to call the police. The landlord can speak with his tenants, but it seems like they are the type that will not cut it out. So, you need to go to police and get copies of any police reports pertaining to the tenants in the house. A lot of police reports would give the landlord the ability to evict a tenant, if he wanted to.

In the meantime, perhaps you should invest in some sound-proof windows or something.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Move. Sell or rent it out. Move brfore you have a nervous breakdown. go go go.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Is it possible that house is over occupied? If it is, and does not abide by the Town codes, you may have a case.

Diane G

Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
Section 8 is accepted in every town. Not sure how if works in Bergen County, but in Passaic county, its illegal for a landlord to state that they do not take section 8. Why that is, i have no idea? How can someone force you to accept government subsidize tenants.

But also, anyone with a criminal record, or if the voucher recipient has ties with someone with a known criminal record, is not eligible for section 8. I will also so, not everyone with section 8 are trouble makers, you have those chosen few who may have originated for a not so nice area and bought that mentality to the good area. I wish the Lyndhurst owner luck. Definately persuit the Civil court thing in Bergen county, the judges as well as the section 8 administrators or more strict than Passaic County.

Make your tax dollars work for you.
good luck.

Are you positive??? How can they force an owner to accept section 8 if they don't want to..holy moly

Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 AM

707 posts, read 1,022,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Are you positive??? How can they force an owner to accept section 8 if they don't want to..holy moly

Not necessarily force. I know someone who use to work at the section 8 in Paterson. One of her favorite comments was that a landlord can not say "they do not accept section 8". But i agree, if i do not want to accept it, why should I?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
Not necessarily force. I know someone who use to work at the section 8 in Paterson. One of her favorite comments was that a landlord can not say "they do not accept section 8". But i agree, if i do not want to accept it, why should I?
IIRC, owner occupied 2 family homes are not "required" to take Section 8.

3 or more family homes are, but there too, I believe it's a "first-come, first-served" deal. So if the landlord can prove that a non- Section 8 applicant saw the place before a Section 8'er, the landlord can still decline.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 22,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
For noise, you need to call the police. The landlord can speak with his tenants, but it seems like they are the type that will not cut it out. So, you need to go to police and get copies of any police reports pertaining to the tenants in the house. A lot of police reports would give the landlord the ability to evict a tenant, if he wanted to.

In the meantime, perhaps you should invest in some sound-proof windows or something.
I wish we could but if we dont hear what is going on outside then they break our property. We bought a white noise machine and that helps but when they back into our fence.we cant hear it and that makes me nervous. My fence cost 10K and now its been broken 3 times.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
I wish we could but if we dont hear what is going on outside then they break our property. We bought a white noise machine and that helps but when they back into our fence.we cant hear it and that makes me nervous. My fence cost 10K and now its been broken 3 times.

Police report-> Law division of the superior court->they threathen you when they receive their notice and hopefully physically strike you->they get arrested for assualt->restraining order->they move out????

I'll get back to you on how feasible this chain of events is in about a year and a half after I finish 1L. Perhaps, you should consult an attorney and see if this is feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey