Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times

Advertisements

How do you know it can be done?
If that were so most of these problems would have been eliminated long ago.
You ignore many realities and just talk about values.
Sounds like a sound byte I hear all the time on CNN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM

326 posts, read 429,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
I'm not part of the problem. It is this ridiculous politically correctness gone wild that has become a problem. On the other hand, do you believe that racism is a one way road? Is the white flight a moral issue that only white people have? How much of the current problem, we the minority have in the current state of affairs? This country is undergoing a mayor guilt trip, mostly induced by the media. Anyone, against Obama or anyone who says otherwise is labeled as racist......this is preposterous.
Yes, it is in fact the moral issue of white people. This has nothing to do with Obama or current administration or media. You are just bringing those up to get away from the issue at hand and turn this into a partisan argument. White flight occurred as a result of desegregation. WHITE PEOPLE were so scared of the idea that their kids may have to sit in the same classroom with black kids, they ended up leaving to suburbs.

Now similar stuff happens with Hispanics. You would rather stereotype them into one category "anchor babies" though most of Hispanics are born and raised in the U.S. for many generations. Moreover, study after study suggests that immigration actually reduces crime rates.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Now similar stuff happens with Hispanics. You would rather stereotype them into one category "anchor babies" though most of Hispanics are born and raised in the U.S. for many generations. Moreover, study after study suggests that immigration actually reduces crime rates.
Agreed.
It's funny how people love to say "can't we ignore, get past, etc."
Like that will make the base problem disappear.
As far as cleaning up the schools- I'm all for it.
I don't believe that it will happen the way anyone here thinks it could though.
You need to clean up Washington DC first.
I don't think that will happen either.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,630 times
Quote:
WHITE PEOPLE were so scared of the idea that their kids may have to sit in the same classroom with black kids, they ended up leaving to suburbs.
That's part of it, but I think they were more scared of their children being exposed to drugs, gangs and other criminal activities moreso than the physical skin color of their classmates.

In a middle class suburb, the black kids and white kids usually get along just fine and aren't that much different aside from melanin levels. I would assume the parents of those middle class suburban black kids would have the same issues as white parents today with their children attending inner city schools.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,630 times
Quote:
Moreover, study after study suggests that immigration actually reduces crime rates.
This is true of legal immigrants. They usually come to a specific country for opportunity and because they appreciate their new home with a desire to assimilate. Those who cross borders illegally, live 12 to a room and are here for no other reason but to receive government benefits and remit money back to Mexico (where their REAL national allegiance stands) are NOT good for crime rates. They segregate themselves from American society and they and their children are more likely to join gangs and be involved in criminal activity. Their illegal entry to the U.S. and non-allegiance to the United States makes them more likely to disregard/disrespect U.S. law.

Children of legal immigrants, on the other hand, usually are very likely to attend college and become successful Americans - as proved by the Indian and east Asian immigrants who have come here in recent years.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 PM

174 posts, read 431,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
How do you know it can be done?
If that were so most of these problems would have been eliminated long ago.
You ignore many realities and just talk about values.
Sounds like a sound byte I hear all the time on CNN.
You're dead on cyntmac. Alot of what I said is mostly "hoping". It just tears at me how bad things have gotten in the present day area of politics and racial issues. I'm not a Pollyanna; just saddened that we have such potential in this great country that is going untapped.

So often, we talk past each other rather than TO each other. I do think that values are more than just a "sound byte". Whether folks that post here are on the Left or the Right, we all have values. It's what informs us and determines how we act.

(BTW, I'm a conservative, so CNN is not my main choice for news, LOL).

Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 PM

But the problems in regard to race are nothing new.
The morals and values crowd restoring integrity- I was referencing politicans and their ridicuolous platforms.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,919 times
Quote:
Yes, it is in fact the moral issue of white people. This has nothing to do with Obama or current administration or media. You are just bringing those up to get away from the issue at hand and turn this into a partisan argument. White flight occurred as a result of desegregation. WHITE PEOPLE were so scared of the idea that their kids may have to sit in the same classroom with black kids, they ended up leaving to suburbs.

i can actually tell you a story about that. my dad is from Easton, PA. Most white kids from the surrounding townships go to Easton Area High School with the kids from the city of Easton, that has a significant number of minorities. I think Easton is still mostly white, but it's got large numbers of African-Americans and Latinos, so it's a very diverse city. Now for any of you who know this area, you will know that there is a second high school, Wilson High School, that serves the neighboring borough of Wilson, PA and one or two other white areas. Now when my dad was in high school in late 60's, they thought about merging the two high school districts together. My dad grew up they when Easton was starting to face some urban decay and a lot of African-Americans were starting to move in. Prior to that, Easton was a hard-working blue collar town with mostly white people of German and Italian decent primarily. So at the Board of Ed. meeting when they discussed the idea of merging the two high school districts, a white man from Wilson borough stood up and said "I don't want my kids going to school with them jungle bunnies!"

it's true. I don't know why people were like that back then. and unfortunately, I was raised with this kind of mentality. I was told to respect other races, but I picked up vibes from my mother especially, not so much my dad, that minor races weren't quite on the same level as whites. I don't want to go into specifics, because I probably already offended most posters.

I don't think that way though, I respect all races and I treat people who are worthy of respect with respect, regardless of race. I know some very nice African-American and Latino families that have made a good life for themselves and they live in nice communities here in suburban NJ. however, I'll be walking around more urban areas and I will feel a level of discomfort.

when I was 6 years old, and I went on a class trip to the bronx zoo, I noticed that on the ride over there that the locals were black. and when i came home I asked my mom, why do only black people live in the Bronx? and she didn't say anything, she just told me not to worry about it. but she had to pause and think, and her facial expression basically said, "They're lower class people, you have to watch out for them. They just happen to be black." And I picked up that vibe, which isn't good. I'm not racist, I'm just always alert. Like when I go to the city, with my friends or when I go up to the Bronx with my buddies to see a Yankee game, I always watch my back. I've been trying to say to myself that it's just common sense, but I can't help but think some of my mom's racist "vibes" kind of fueled that alertness. I feel really guilty. And by the way, my mother isn't an open racist, she's just from a different time period and has different feelings about race. So don't say anything bad about my mother, because I know some of the vibes were bad, but she's still my mom, so don't hate. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM

All parents want their kids to be alert. There is a certain paranoia that maybe people have because they grew up around their own kind only and believed that was the American way. They thought it meant they were truly American and others were "lower class" and lesser American. That is how many thought back then and some still do. It is easier to understand with their generation because things were closed off to their generation in terms of knowledge. With so much information available today, it is more evident that people are making a choice to exercise bias. Race and economics have always been intertwined and unfortunately much suffering has been caused. It has not been erased although many people have found their way individually. There is still a strong legacy.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM

174 posts, read 431,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
That's part of it, but I think they were more scared of their children being exposed to drugs, gangs and other criminal activities moreso than the physical skin color of their classmates.

In a middle class suburb, the black kids and white kids usually get along just fine and aren't that much different aside from melanin levels. I would assume the parents of those middle class suburban black kids would have the same issues as white parents today with their children attending inner city schools.
I couldn't agree more. Because I'm retired miltary, my kids mostly attended base schools. And the Marine Corps had a higher percentage of black career personnel that the per capita American community. Yet this increased percentage mattered not a whit. Moms and Dads wanted their kids to obey their teachers, do their homework, and not embarrass the family.

For the life of me, I can't find a racial or cultural component in that; unless you ascribe it to traditional American civic virtue or more'. And why I hold deeply that when left to our own devices, friends and neighbors pull together and reject the stereotype of "angry black person", and "narrow minded whites". Heck, we barbeque together, go to the same goofy school plays, and the Dad's all sweat the same on those 20 mile hikes!

Me and my friends were enlisted and mostly went no further than high school. It CAN be done even at our "low level". Things will only progress when everyone can feel safe. ESPECIALLY when it comes to their kids. The only question remains is if our leaders have the guts to really hammer youthful criminals and thugs and let the rest of us flower and prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey