Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
LOL. I was looking at real estate web sites the other day and found a brand new, beautiful condo five minutes from the beach in Vero Beach, FL for $90K. Why the hell would ANYONE stay here?
Have you really looked at the price of home ownership in Vero Beach? That one bedroom condo most likely has HOA fees of close to $400 a month if not more, and taxes in the $1200 a year range. Not to mention that for about three months out of the year you have to worry about your home being blown away in a hurricane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 12:02 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
Are these people stupid? What makes them ask so much for their homes? This is the reason why NJ is turning into California. You have to make well into the six figures to live here.

It's disgusting and heart breaking at the same time. All of our family is here, all of our friends, but we cannot afford to raise our children here because of the disgusting greed that's rampant throughout the NJ real estate market.

You get fleeced on one side of it from the homeowner and real estate, then you get it on the other side from the state...taxes are not just high...they're obscene.

I've had a love/hate relationship with NJ for the past five years. It's time to move on.
You if these sellers are stupid for asking so much for their homes. I suggest they are not. Recent sales in the area appear to be in line with the numbers posted. Clark is not my market area, but a quick search of the MLS shows me that there are indeed 3 bedroom ranch homes in need of updating that are being SOLD in the mid to high $500k range. Not asking price, but sold price. So the seller would be stupid to list it much BELOW what appears to be a good comp, wouldn't they?
Are taxes and prices of most things high in NJ, and do we want them to be lower? Sure. Especially taxes. But that's a very different matter than the seller seeking to maximize the selling price of their house.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:30 PM

30 posts, read 108,425 times
Quote:
LOL. I was looking at real estate web sites the other day and found a brand new, beautiful condo five minutes from the beach in Vero Beach, FL for $90K. Why the hell would ANYONE stay here?
My Dad lives in Vero Beach and it's depressing. Hot and humid 6 months out of the year, no seasons/snow, and it's filled with old people. Plus, they barely survived 2 major hurricanes in the past 5 years that damaged most of the housing stock, much of which hasn't been repaired and probably never will be, so they're desperate for anyone to move there. I'd be real careful with buying any property/houses there without a very thorough inspection for structural or past water damage (I know the one you're looking at is new - just making a general comment). I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You if these sellers are stupid for asking so much for their homes. I suggest they are not.
I agree. The buyers who are the idiots.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Yeah becuase the only thing in life that is important is cheap housing. Yippeee lets all move to a 90k 1 bed condo. Sounds like so much fun.
Cheap ? Hardly......but show me a $90,000 condo in Jersey 5 minutes from the beach.....near a beach thats free.....a beach thats not covered with washed up hospital waste or closed due to some type of temporay pollution......a beach you can use 12 months a years because the weather allows it.....and if the beach isn't for you then you can still chose to do ANYTHING out doors 12 months a year.....not forced to sit inside avoiding the "wintery mix" of slop the weather throws at you all winter long up here longing for spring again. I was in Florida over the July 4th holidays and we went tubing down the crystal clear Rainbow River......its a constant 72 degrees all year long...... it was so relaxing and absolutely beautiful !!!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Cheap ? Hardly......but show me a $90,000 condo in Jersey 5 minutes from the beach.....near a beach thats free.....a beach thats not covered with washed up hospital waste or closed due to some type of temporay pollution......a beach you can use 12 months a years because the weather allows it.....and if the beach isn't for you then you can still chose to do ANYTHING out doors 12 months a year.....not forced to sit inside avoiding the "wintery mix" of slop the weather throws at you all winter long up here longing for spring again. I was in Florida over the July 4th holidays and we went tubing down the crystal clear Rainbow River......its a constant 72 degrees all year long...... it was so relaxing and absolutely beautiful !!!
When I was in Florida I assure you it got way hotter than 72. In fact a quick look at weather.com says that right now at 12:30am it's 75 where I was in Florida. The average for this time of year (not at 12:30am mind you) is 92.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
It was 80 degrees at 6:00 am yesterday. In the summer it can be just too darn hot to go to the beach. (Do you really want to be sitting in the sun when it's 98 degrees with 100% humidity?

And if you think it doesn't get cold in Florida in the winter, think again. Two and a half years ago I saw snow in downtown Orlando one cold winter night. I thought I was seeing things until the person I was with agreed with me. It's wayyy too cold to go to the beach several months out of the year.

Living in Florida and vacationing in Florida are two very, very different things, unfortunately that's something that half the people who move here don't figure out until they've spent a ton of money getting here, then they need to spend a ton of money to leave. The #1 reason this state is so transient is because of people who don't have a realistic idea of what it's actually like LIVING here and come with a tourist mentality which is shattered two months after they arrive. Then they leave.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 AM

250 posts, read 683,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You if these sellers are stupid for asking so much for their homes. I suggest they are not. Recent sales in the area appear to be in line with the numbers posted. Clark is not my market area, but a quick search of the MLS shows me that there are indeed 3 bedroom ranch homes in need of updating that are being SOLD in the mid to high $500k range. Not asking price, but sold price. So the seller would be stupid to list it much BELOW what appears to be a good comp, wouldn't they?
Are taxes and prices of most things high in NJ, and do we want them to be lower? Sure. Especially taxes. But that's a very different matter than the seller seeking to maximize the selling price of their house.
Recent comps in the area mean simply that some people are just stupid when they pay these prices or are not informed. There is no reason that these homes and taxes should be this high. The buyers are the ones that have to wait it out or only offer what they think a home should be really worth...by considering where the appreciation value every year (3-6%) added on starting from 2001. After that the appreciation values went out of control. (Not in line with job raises at all.) Thats why you research the neighborhood, see where similar prices were for similar homes in 01 and add everything up, including upgrades to today and come out with your price. Screw recent comps....most aren't even listing at fair market value anyway. It will take a while but as long as buyers are giving people these prices it will just screw up the market longer. As far as I know even people who bought in 07-08 are underwater now. So these buyers today might also be underwater also, their homes taking longer to gain back there value...serves em right if they want to continue to purchase at these crazy prices.
Oh and with the way NJ is going, who knows where our taxes will be in the next few years...even more people underwater who can't pay anymore because of the property taxes. The gov can do whatever they want....and what are u going to do about it if your taxes go up much higher....

Best websites to research before buying a home

Old 07-20-2009, 08:18 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
I just moved to Palm Beach County. - 3000 Sq Ft 4 bdr 3 bath pool, jacuzzi, gated community. listed $400K selling for $300-350K. Taxes $5-7K.

Good Riddence NJ!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru848789 View Post
My Dad lives in Vero Beach and it's depressing. Hot and humid 6 months out of the year, no seasons/snow, and it's filled with old people. Plus, they barely survived 2 major hurricanes in the past 5 years that damaged most of the housing stock, much of which hasn't been repaired and probably never will be, so they're desperate for anyone to move there. I'd be real careful with buying any property/houses there without a very thorough inspection for structural or past water damage (I know the one you're looking at is new - just making a general comment). I wouldn't live there if you paid me.
Well, I hate snow, I love heat (and even humidity), I grew up at the Shore so storms are cool and I already live in Ocean County, so I'm used to plenty of old people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey