Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,973,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Check out some urban areas of NJ and tell me your numbers add up. Honestly you are 110% wrong. I know classrooms with 28 to 30 kids right here in NJ.
Thats possible if they have an aid......but an aid can only perform certain functions......finally......I was wrong once.......that was the time I thought I was wrong but really wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 PM

249 posts, read 753,464 times
Special ed classes are the only ones that have size limits.

Luckily, my district caps elementary classes at 22, but if new kids move into town and all the classes are at 22, the cap goes out the window. I have a friend that teaches in another district and has 28 kids in her class. She doesn't have an aide at all.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,272,408 times
Quote:
What wouldnt fly? Most people in the state have no clue what goes on in education other then in their little suburban town.
The little town won't cut their budget. We have a downturn now, and teachers are still getting their raises. The bottom line is that demand for education goes up in economic downturns, so the political will to fund it is there.

Quote:
Most problems in education are in urban cities where parental apathy is systemic. Dont be surprised to see huge classroom sizes in the the "inner" cities here in NJ.
I checked the numbers in njmonthly, and found little evidence that the "bad" schools had larger classes than the "good" ones.

The Abbott system ensures that these schools are well funded, so if they had large classes in those districts, it would not be because of lack of funds.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,411,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
Special ed classes are the only ones that have size limits.

Luckily, my district caps elementary classes at 22, but if new kids move into town and all the classes are at 22, the cap goes out the window. I have a friend that teaches in another district and has 28 kids in her class. She doesn't have an aide at all.
You are correct.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,272,408 times
Quote:
What I think they will do is pile in 30 to 35 kids per classroom and cut a good amount of teachers. If money is more important then education, I say go ahead and do it.
Maybe money is more important than the interests of the teachers union.

My question for you is, if it comes down to the interests of the teachers union versus the quality of education, which side are you on ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey