Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM

47 posts, read 46,251 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I have been reading the boards for over 2 hours now - I have a better idea what I am looking for but need your help!

I am from Texas, living in the midwest about to relocate to NJ for work. I have owned a home and a condo and selling the latter to move to NJ. I will work from home and commute about 1x per week to Montvale NJ. I have 2 vehicles I am moving (so want garage or parking - so Hoboken areas are out - not messing with that!). Single person - typically have lived in more suburban settings but want a little bit of that with a little bit of city/downtown as well - in hopes of meeting people (nothing agianst familes, but looking for more of a single set up yet still family oriented). Have friends down in Cranford and love that town but probably not where I want to live. They have suggested Morristown, Maplewood or Jersey City. I love going to NYC to bum around when I come out east - so being fairly close to a train line to take into the city is important but also probably being close to the Garden State Pkwy to get to Montvale. I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom - if it is a 2 - I need it to have a den or home office. Salary is around $95K. I am pretty sure I want to buy - but nervous about buying to old of home or one that will need updates. Doing yard work is not a deterrent for home ownership. So here are my questions! What towns/area's would you suggest to start looking at? Home or condo? Are property taxes pretty much equal area to area so that they become a nonfactor? (currently live in a state with very high ones - esp compared to Tx). For the areas I listed above, what type of commute time are you looking at on the parkway up to Montvale in traffic? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
I would go with Montclair or Ridgewood. Taxes vary by town. good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I would go with Montclair or Ridgewood. Taxes vary by town. good luck!
Good advice--Montclair is perfect for the poster's needs.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjka View Post
Hi all - I have been reading the boards for over 2 hours now - I have a better idea what I am looking for but need your help!

I am from Texas, living in the midwest about to relocate to NJ for work. I have owned a home and a condo and selling the latter to move to NJ. I will work from home and commute about 1x per week to Montvale NJ. I have 2 vehicles I am moving (so want garage or parking - so Hoboken areas are out - not messing with that!). Single person - typically have lived in more suburban settings but want a little bit of that with a little bit of city/downtown as well - in hopes of meeting people (nothing agianst familes, but looking for more of a single set up yet still family oriented). Have friends down in Cranford and love that town but probably not where I want to live. They have suggested Morristown, Maplewood or Jersey City. I love going to NYC to bum around when I come out east - so being fairly close to a train line to take into the city is important but also probably being close to the Garden State Pkwy to get to Montvale. I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom - if it is a 2 - I need it to have a den or home office. Salary is around $95K. I am pretty sure I want to buy - but nervous about buying to old of home or one that will need updates. Doing yard work is not a deterrent for home ownership. So here are my questions! What towns/area's would you suggest to start looking at? Home or condo? Are property taxes pretty much equal area to area so that they become a nonfactor? (currently live in a state with very high ones - esp compared to Tx). For the areas I listed above, what type of commute time are you looking at on the parkway up to Montvale in traffic? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Hi Jjrka,

I would strongly recommend a 1 year rental. That way you can do a more thorough investigation of what you want to buy. While you are investigating, prices will continue to drop. We have a LOT of unemployment taking hold up here. Especially in the financial services and pharmaceutical sectors. But really all sectors to one extent or another. You'd be better off renting a nice townhouse for a year or so and watching prices drop. Your salary is very borderline in northern NJ. It will support pretty much an old house or a townhouse. But that could change as prices continue to drop. To the point where in the next year ot two your salary will support the purchase of something really nice at a reasonable price and monthly payment.

So I would rent something near a train line and enjoy your home search at a leisurely pace in an improving market (for you). There's no point rushing into a purchase that will likely lose you money, maybe a lot of money, over the next year. What would be the point?

-Marc

Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Try Somerset County. Not far from Cranford, many accessible train lines. Suburban with plenty to do, ways to meet people. Property taxes will vary greatly throughout, so be careful with that.

Try a craigslist search.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjka View Post

Lol, at the bolded part. You do not even know what property taxes are, yet.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 PM

47 posts, read 46,251 times
Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your salary is very borderline in northern NJ.
I wouldn't mind that salary...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I wouldn't mind that salary...
Marc was specifically discussing housing. 95K is a pretty good salary as long as you're not both making payment on a house at NJ prices, paying NJ property taxes at the same time. That amount is pretty close to my base and I take home about 2k biweekly after federal/state taxes, social security withholding and 401k contributions. Payments plus property tax on a typical house in NJ will eat well over half your take home in that range ...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Payments plus property tax on a typical house in NJ will eat well over half your take home in that range ...
isn't that the norm in NJ ?

I don't even bother with 401K anymore. Retirement, vacations, all dreams/things of the past (if I even live to age 70)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey