Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The unit itself.. where the duct work comes into and out of the unit.
Wiley, Thanks. I have a 1950's vacation bungalow that has vermiculite in the attic and never gave it much thought; the house inspector never made mention of it. Although not all vermiculite contains asbestos, should I be nervous?

The attic is covered with wood and I never use the attic, but I guess it would be a good idea to have the A/C unit's seals checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Wiley, Thanks. I have a 1950's vacation bungalow that has vermiculite in the attic and never gave it much thought; the house inspector never made mention of it. Although not all vermiculite contains asbestos, should I be nervous?

The attic is covered with wood and I never use the attic, but I guess it would be a good idea to have the A/C unit's seals checked.
asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed... the fiber, when airbourne, attached to your lungs - they are hook shaped. If you have plywood down over the vermiculite and then the handler on top of that... youre most likely fine! But if you are feeling nervous still, duct tape - tool for all real men (and woman) ... tape the areas where the duct work (sheet metal) meets the units

Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I understand your concerns, but they're probably common among older homes. I thought the deal with vermiculite was that it contains asbestos, but that it's OK if you just leave it alone (Wiley - next time you go crawling around in it like that, please wear proper venhilation-protection!).

The termite damage -- that's something you need to determine exactly how bad it is. It could be nothing, or it could mean structural problems. I wouldn't expect a follow-up termite inspection would be very costly.

The deal with vermiculite is that the vast majority has no asbestos at all......its a mined mineral/ore....not manufactured.....there was "trace" amounts of natural asbestos found in some but very few. Its unusual when its found but when it is there is so little its of little concern.....plus.....its not the "friable" loose fiber type of asbestos.
Look.....the bottom line here is you have to feel comfortable with the house. I used to tell my clients that its acceptable to feel nervous or anxious about taking on a mortgage and the responsibility of a house.....but there should be NO feeling of anxiousness about the house at all !!! If you have any gut feeling or uneasy feelings that are telling you to walk away.....listen to it !!!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 PM

162 posts, read 546,241 times
Plume12 -- what type of heat does the house have, forced hot air or steam/water radiators? Does the house have central AC?
The house has central ac, that I know and a 5ft boiler. lolol This thing was so huge. The insoector said it was really time to have it removed. lolol I laugh because I remember the inspector told me that I have to add water to it once in awhile, not too much but I know it's something I wouldn't remember.

but there should be NO feeling of anxiousness about the house at all !!! If you have any gut feeling or uneasy feelings that are telling you to walk away.....listen to it !!!
I decided to go with my gut feeling. Whenever I go against it something bad happens. We did decide to walk away from it. I got sick because of this and thinking about it wayyyy to much. So we're going back to Cranford and Westfield to see if we find anything. Maybe something not as old as the house in Fanwood. : (

Old 03-12-2009, 05:17 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plume12 View Post
I decided to go with my gut feeling. Whenever I go against it something bad happens. We did decide to walk away from it. I got sick because of this and thinking about it wayyyy to much. So we're going back to Cranford and Westfield to see if we find anything. Maybe something not as old as the house in Fanwood. : (
Probably a good idea, especially if you were getting so worried about it. There are plenty of fish in the sea!

You'd probably do well to keep your focus on homes built within the last 30 years or so, since they have fewer of the asbestos-type problems with older houses.

Take your time; prices are going nowhere but down.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 AM

Hi guys.. I'm back with information and also wanted to give you an update.
Well these few weeks have been crazy with this house in Fanwood. But good!
We told the sellers that we wanted out but the only way we would take this house is if we hired our ppl to take samples of the attic to have it tested for asbestos and they would have to pay. So we did that and the house has no asbestos at all!!!Sample came out negative. Also we has the basement inspected again and no active termites anywhere but they sellers treated the basement just so that we feel comfy with things.

So we actually moved in the house on Friday and I love it! And I love FANWOOD. Coming from NYC and then Clifton and here is amazing. I'm one block away from a playground and 2 blocks away from Fanwood downtown, Which is very small but has greattttttttttt rest. cuban, japan, chinese and italian. I want to thank you guys for great advice!!! i feel with the information you gave me and did decide to have things tested got me in tis house.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,632 times
Congratulations, Plume12! It's great to hear that everything worked out well for you and that you're enjoying your new neighborhood.

It was great that you were in a strong position to insist on these tests/issues so that you now have peace of mind.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Thanks Lusitan. I feel very lucky that I was able to do all this and that I got wonderful information and guildance from you and others on the board! : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey