Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
There are people everywhere that have no interest in Religion, but I did not see the prejudice about it in LI or TN as I did in NJ. People in Manalapan thought they were better than everyone when in fact they were phonies. They pretend to have money but they really are in Major debt. The ones who don't act like they have it there are the ones that really do. Most of their big cars they have are leased and a lot are mortgaged to the hilt. Even the people that bought my house only put down 10%. They had to take 2 mortgages to buy it.
Why was I UPSET and bashed the state. If you went thru a year of a leaking underground oil storage tank, that the state allowed the builder to put in. He put in a thin tank, and over the years it leaked. A good deal of the houses in Manalapan that were built in the 80s had this and some in the 60s , so its probably worst on those. It cost my insurance company big $ to clear it up because it hit ground water that was only 6 feet below the ground. I spent an entire year crying. It was finally done, DEP certified and my husband asked for a transfer because I would never buy another house in that state and I did not want to stay in that house. Some people changed to gas heat but that tank is still sitting there in the ground, so you don't know it unless the person is honest and says so. Check the Dyer Property where the town bought property put in a sports field and now its found out to be a DEP problem.
I went to college here in Tennessee so it was like coming home. I have a house here that would be over a million in Manalapan, and it would not be all brick. The south knows how to build stong houses. My new friends are from all over the US because major companies chose to relocate here. To name one Nissan. NJ lost that relocation maket according to a realtor friend there because of the tax structure. To grow, you need that market. That's why I'm seeing housing there on the market for over a year, including one on the block I used to live. That one had the tank removed and all the work done. They want to leave also. Check the Boards here, a lot want to leave.
That house is now on the market for$13,000 less than what I received, so will sell for even less.
A lot of people DO want to leave...and a lot of people are coming IN from all over. Check the boards for yourself as well. I'm not familiar with auto in NJ but I know this state is big for pharmaceutical companies. NJ has a lot of industry and finance and there's a lot of Fortune 500 companies here.
I don't know too much about Manalapan but that's one town. I'm sure a year of living with a leaking storage tank is frustrating but that would probably make me hate the town and the builder than the state. There are definitely worse things that could happen to a house
-The south may know how to build 'strong houses' but a lot of houses I've seen in the south were drove in on trucks and placed on foundations. NJ is known as a -sigh- 'bedroom' state, but it has a lot of well groomed suburban communities with nice constructed homes unlike the ones you mentioned

Old 07-29-2007, 10:00 AM

367 posts, read 959,883 times
Is there any truth in the stereotypes of brash New Jersey people?

The problem is more pronounced in northern Jersey. It would be accurate to state that the entire NY metro area is to rudeness as Paris is to fashion, the true epicenter.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
There are people everywhere that have no interest in Religion, but I did not see the prejudice about it in LI or TN as I did in NJ. People in Manalapan thought they were better than everyone when in fact they were phonies. They pretend to have money but they really are in Major debt. The ones who don't act like they have it there are the ones that really do. Most of their big cars they have are leased and a lot are mortgaged to the hilt. Even the people that bought my house only put down 10%. They had to take 2 mortgages to buy it.
Why was I UPSET and bashed the state. If you went thru a year of a leaking underground oil storage tank, that the state allowed the builder to put in. He put in a thin tank, and over the years it leaked. A good deal of the houses in Manalapan that were built in the 80s had this and some in the 60s , so its probably worst on those. It cost my insurance company big $ to clear it up because it hit ground water that was only 6 feet below the ground. I spent an entire year crying. It was finally done, DEP certified and my husband asked for a transfer because I would never buy another house in that state and I did not want to stay in that house. Some people changed to gas heat but that tank is still sitting there in the ground, so you don't know it unless the person is honest and says so. Check the Dyer Property where the town bought property put in a sports field and now its found out to be a DEP problem.
I went to college here in Tennessee so it was like coming home. I have a house here that would be over a million in Manalapan, and it would not be all brick. The south knows how to build stong houses. My new friends are from all over the US because major companies chose to relocate here. To name one Nissan. NJ lost that relocation maket according to a realtor friend there because of the tax structure. To grow, you need that market. That's why I'm seeing housing there on the market for over a year, including one on the block I used to live. That one had the tank removed and all the work done. They want to leave also. Check the Boards here, a lot want to leave.
That house is now on the market for$13,000 less than what I received, so will sell for even less.
So, you hate NJ becuase you had a leaky oil tank? At least you have a good reason to constantly bash us, not.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,986 times
[quote=Diane Giam;1162992]
Why was I UPSET and bashed the state. If you went thru a year of a leaking underground oil storage tank, that the state allowed the builder to put in. He put in a thin tank, and over the years it leaked. A good deal of the houses in Manalapan that were built in the 80s had this and some in the 60s , so its probably worst on those. It cost my insurance company big $ to clear it up because it hit ground water that was only 6 feet below the ground. I spent an entire year crying. It was finally done, DEP certified and my husband asked for a transfer because I would never buy another house in that state and I did not want to stay in that house. Some people changed

Wow! You must live life seeing the glass has half empty. I could tell you stories about my life/my house/my mother's house that are tragic but things happen EVERYWHERE and I choose to live my life for the future not the past. I choose to live my life looking for the positive as this is what makes me a good person. I try to be kind, polite and supportive of others. I haven't checked the TN boards but my guess is there are people that are moving away. You obviously didn't like NJ for a lot of reasons. So it's good that you left and found a place that your are happy with...for now. What is your purpose coming to this board? I'm not sure I get you. It is possible to be constrcutive without being offensive. Truly I hope that you are happy, and if you have to tear down what other people like in order to validate your feelings so be it. But you should really examine your attitudes. One last thing...my first post on this thread was my comments on how positive everyone was being...interesting that the only truly negative post came from a person from TN.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:27 PM

543 posts, read 1,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Come on. NJ's the best kept secret in the country. Go ahead complain about us. We're good natured. Look at this thread. Has anyone become defensive? Born and raised here and I have no desire to move elsewhere. Yes, it's expensive but I can get to NYC, Boston, Phila or D.C. in just a short time. We have beaches, mountains...and a true melting pot. I think we are truly an open minded people that will never say "oh, they're from _____" you fill in the blank. My experience is we're more about "what can we do for you" and "tell me about where your from". Just yesterday I was walking out of a store with my cart overflowing. An item fell out and a very nice man picked it up and carried it to my car for me. My neighbors take in garbage cans for each other. I have neighbors on both sides of me with pools that tell me that I have an open invitation. I could go on but I wont I don't want you to think that people ACTUALLY like living here.

Great post! Hit you with a positive for this one..

Old 07-29-2007, 05:40 PM

285 posts, read 1,039,882 times
I am a North Carolinian and I just want to say that some of the warmest people I've ever met have been from NJ. I understand why New Jersians come off as a bit brash at first- having spent some time in New Jersey, I can see it's a faster pace of life there and people have to hustle and bustle most of the time. But spend a little time with a New Jersian and the warmth does come out. I appreciate that I know where I stand with you folk. You all don't tend to be two-faced by nature. You may be slow to trust, but when you all finally let your guard down, you'll do anything for the people you value.

Just thought I'd weigh in as a Southerner. I live in the Raleigh area and many of our newcomers are from New Jersey and that's fine by me.

Also, you all are blessed with Cape May and some lovely mountains.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:01 PM

64 posts, read 251,244 times
Thumbs up Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
I am a North Carolinian and I just want to say that some of the warmest people I've ever met have been from NJ. I understand why New Jersians come off as a bit brash at first- having spent some time in New Jersey, I can see it's a faster pace of life there and people have to hustle and bustle most of the time. But spend a little time with a New Jersian and the warmth does come out. I appreciate that I know where I stand with you folk. You all don't tend to be two-faced by nature. You may be slow to trust, but when you all finally let your guard down, you'll do anything for the people you value.

Just thought I'd weigh in as a Southerner. I live in the Raleigh area and many of our newcomers are from New Jersey and that's fine by me.

Also, you all are blessed with Cape May and some lovely mountains.

I was born and raised in Nj...I moved out of nj 6 years ago and let me tell you? I have been to three other states so far....

Nj people are the best you will always know where you stand with us and we really stand out in the crowd...

But the best thing about us is we have this flare that not too many people from other states have.

We are funny and we are always ready for a good joke.

I lived in PA in a one horse town and let me tell you the people out in pa hate us...

Talk about dry that state is dry and dead

New Jersey will always be my home when I think about New Jersey I think about all the great times and friends I have in New Jersey..

I miss New Jersey

Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Default My recent NJ experience

I am a transplanted New Jerseyan, living in Las Cruces New Mexico. I've been living here for over 2 years now. I enjoy the state, and it is what I've been hoping for since I moved: lower cost of living, no shoveling snow, less population density, etc. However, I haven't really made any friends here. I don't know if my persona has ever been a good match here. The people here are not unfriendly, mind you, there has been something missing though, nothing tangible, I can't put my finger on it. The other day, I took my family to desert to a custard stand. The people who run it, it turns out, are transplanted from Trenton. The guy who was working the booth is the son of the owner. Immediately, there was a connection made between the guy and myself. A really warm, familiar feeling. Conversation was not forced, and very easy. It was kind of a knowing banter between us, the wit that I possess was immediately picked up on by this guy. He offered my kids free tastes of custards and was a really great guy. A salt of the earth kind of guy. Not pretentious nor aloof. When I walked away from that custard stand, he was telling us to come back and visit, talk to him again. I have to admit for the first time since I've been here, there were pangs of homesickness. The incident stayed with me the entire weekend. Am I going to relocate back to NJ? Not a chance. I've always argued that people are not going to pay your mortgage for you, you have to be in charge of that. NJ is just too overpriced for what it offers. However, it was a reminder that the people that hail from my state happen to possess an intangible quality of quick witedness that sometimes flies under the radar screen in other places.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
A lot of people DO want to leave...and a lot of people are coming IN from all over. Check the boards for yourself as well. I'm not familiar with auto in NJ but I know this state is big for pharmaceutical companies. NJ has a lot of industry and finance and there's a lot of Fortune 500 companies here.
I don't know too much about Manalapan but that's one town. I'm sure a year of living with a leaking storage tank is frustrating but that would probably make me hate the town and the builder than the state. There are definitely worse things that could happen to a house
-The south may know how to build 'strong houses' but a lot of houses I've seen in the south were drove in on trucks and placed on foundations. NJ is known as a -sigh- 'bedroom' state, but it has a lot of well groomed suburban communities with nice constructed homes unlike the ones you mentioned
None of the houses in Brentwood, Tn are driven in on trucks. A lot of the Country singers live here. Check out where Carry Underwood is moving-
Governors Club: Brentwood, TN I have a few friends that live there.
No New Companies are making NJ their homes and plenty are now moving out because the taxes are just too high. Brentwood, is a 5 bedroom community and its differercult to find a house under 3500 sq foot and most are larger.
The house I sold in NJ was in the 460s. A year before I would have gotten mid $500,000 so your market is slipping.

Diane

Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,199 times
The two arm pits of the United States ... New Jersey and New York !! Stay there and out of Pa !! Thank You and God Bless !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey