Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times

Advertisements

Where did you move to and why did you move back? How long did it take before reality set in that NJ wasn't such a bad place after all? Did you move back to the same town you had left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
I left NJ but not by choice. I moved to Orlando FL and absolutely hated it. I am so glad to be back. I was originally from North Jersey, but now live in South Jersey to be closer to my brother.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Not me. So far 1 and counting..

Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 AM

82 posts, read 235,566 times
I moved to south Florida 10 years and am thinking of moving back to NJ. When I was there this past Thanksgiving I realized how much I missed it. Some might think that's crazy, but I miss the change of seasons, the scenery, being near family.

I never thought I'd be in Florida this long. While Florida has it's good side - great weather, motorcycle riding year round - it also has it's downsize. There has been a huge increase in gang activity in my area as well as too many transients.

Right now I have a one year plan to move back to NJ, but it might be sooner.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacket View Post
I moved to south Florida 10 years and am thinking of moving back to NJ. When I was there this past Thanksgiving I realized how much I missed it. Some might think that's crazy, but I miss the change of seasons, the scenery, being near family.

I never thought I'd be in Florida this long. While Florida has it's good side - great weather, motorcycle riding year round - it also has it's downsize. There has been a huge increase in gang activity in my area as well as too many transients.

If you have to sell your house you might want to consider putting it on the market now. I've been trying for almost 2 years now to go back. I've been here since 2005.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM

82 posts, read 235,566 times
I do have a condo to sell which is obviously a huge concern given the market right now. I figure I have to price it right to get it sold. Been thinking about putting it on the market for awhile, but haven't made the jump yet.

I think I need to do more research on the affordability of living in NJ. Last time I looked things were pretty expensive even to rent. A lot has changed in 10 years. I know I can't move back to my hometown of Princeton because no way could I afford anything there.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
I left North Jersey and moved to Philly, then back to North Jersey, then back to Philly. I can't stand NJ when i'm there, but I miss it when I'm gone. Its a love-hate relationship. Given that Philly is close to South Jersey, but I'm from North Jersey. and those of you from up north know that South Jersey might as well be another country. wayyy different.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I do have a condo to sell which is obviously a huge concern given the market right now. I figure I have to price it right to get it sold. Been thinking about putting it on the market for awhile, but haven't made the jump yet.

I think I need to do more research on the affordability of living in NJ. Last time I looked things were pretty expensive even to rent. A lot has changed in 10 years. I know I can't move back to my hometown of Princeton because no way could I afford anything there.

You can always advertise on Craigs list just to see if there is any interest,this way your not tied down with a contract. Its very hard to compete with the foreclosure prices here even if the price is right.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
I left North Jersey and moved to Philly, then back to North Jersey, then back to Philly. I can't stand NJ when i'm there, but I miss it when I'm gone. Its a love-hate relationship. Given that Philly is close to South Jersey, but I'm from North Jersey. and those of you from up north know that South Jersey might as well be another country. wayyy different.

This is so true, I'm from Central NJ, Monmouth County, and sometimes have a hard time relating to the threads that pertain to Northern NJ. From what I read it just seems so different from my town and yet we aren't that far apart.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 AM

59 posts, read 183,196 times
Quote:

I have thought about different places to retire as I don't want to stay in NJ. It's too expensive for people who are no longer working full time. This gang problem you mention appears to be a growing problem all over the country and especially in places that attract retirees. The southwest is also being flooded with gangs. Gang activity has been a big problem in Las Vegas for years, and Phoenix is now the murder capital of the US. Florida was news to me as I didn't know they were also infiltrating that state. I'm starting to wonder if the future is up in the northern Midwest. It appears to me that gang bangers tend to gravitate toward the warmer weather states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey