U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 PM

73 posts, read 245,218 times

Advertisements

Hi. I've been living (renting) in New York City for 30 years. For the past 5 years my husband and I have been renting in Ocean Grove, very happily. But we're not sure it's the place we want to buy in.

Atlantic Highlands (and Highlands) have great appeal, feeling like a sort-of cross between NY and OG, in a way. Of course, not just that: they have their very own, wonderful, congenial, sense of pride and history and community. The ferry to NY is a huge factor. We both need water in our lives!

That said, can anybody tell me how open the community is to newcomers? We are very quiet and friendly people, no kids, both work at home.

I just want to make sure the community isn't insular in the way that it takes many many years to be accepted with smiles, and 'hello' in shops, etc. I'm really wondering because friends of mine had that experience living on an island in Maine -- which I realize is NOT comparable to a NJ town -- so I hope I can be forgiven for asking this question.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,215,120 times
Your friends were on an island far away from home. U would be in a shore town where Nyers aren't considered exotic creatures. Take care of ur property, register the car to nj, feel at home i don't think anyone would notice.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,759,641 times
It's more of a people with kids type of place. But you could say that about most of that area. It is nothing like Maine to be sure. Think berg within the burbs. Not much going on but people are fairly busy and most have kids. They may barley notice you.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 AM

831 posts, read 2,313,896 times
Highlands has changed dramatically over the years. It was once known as a summer place for NY'ers where alot of the homes didn't even have heat, and the majority of the locals were clammers. Since the ferrries are there now it has drawn alot of people because of the convenience to the City. The taxes are outrageous. I haven't looked recently but it was at one time the top 10 in Monmouth County. Its a very political town, and really the phrase "who you know" definetly applies there. I will admit they are very community driven. Farmers Market, Clam Fest, Holiday and Tree Lighting. A really nice area to consider is in Middletown, Navesink Area (its next to Highlands) They have beautiful homes in various price ranges.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,461,706 times
Atlantic Highlands : YES (good choice)
Highlands: NO

I grew up in both.

Good luck!

Shanny

Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,173,718 times
We looked at a house once in Atlantic Highlands when we were living in NYC it had great appeal to us. I don't know much about that town in particular, but do know about Red Bank, Fair Haven, and Sea Bright--have you checked those places out, too?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:52 PM

831 posts, read 2,313,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
We looked at a house once in Atlantic Highlands when we were living in NYC it had great appeal to us. I don't know much about that town in particular, but do know about Red Bank, Fair Haven, and Sea Bright--have you checked those places out, too?
IMO Sea Bright is like a ghost town in the winter,and the summer forgetaboutit. You have to take the long way around (thru long branch/monmouth beach) just to get home.lol

Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,173,718 times
Oh that's bad! Well, I can't live at the beach in the winter. I've done it for six winters in my life and it always kills me--but some people like it. Ghost town and lonely in the winter, and crowded and crazy in the summer. September, October and June are the best months for seaside living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey