U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 01:59 PM

13 posts, read 32,807 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to learn about Voorhies - the good, the bad and the ugly. This is a town that seems to have decent, more affordable homes in the $250K range, which is what we are looking for. We are a married couple without kids (yet), in our late 30's.

What can you tell me about:

School system
Demographic - neighbors
Shopping
Attractions - how close to the shore?
Transportation to city
Do people generally keep their homes well maintained, or are there homes that look run down?

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 PM

13 posts, read 32,807 times
Forgot one more thing - Taxes. Does anyone know what the general taxes are for this town?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,450,255 times
Voorhees is very nice. I live in Cherry Hill and occasionally drive through Voorhees to get to a friend's home in neighboring Hi-Nella.

From what I have seen, the homes are kept pretty nice.

We go to Wildwood in the summer and it takes about an hour +

Sorry, that is all I know.

GL!

Shanny

Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,184,950 times
Everything u named rates quite high in Voorhees (exception being diversity) and that's no under statement. There is a healthy Jew and Asian population. People do take care of their homes although some are in the sticks, not in a hillbilly way but there are plenty of trees and privacy for many homes making it the Bel Air of south jersey so to speak. 30 years ago it was nothing. If u can find a home in that price range goodluck. There's eastern highschool which is put on a pedastal, but there's also camden county tech where i went. U can drive into center city in half an hour or do a park n ride. There's lots of shopping nearby from a large indoor fleamarket to the Promanade as well as echelon mall which is in Voorhees. The easier beaches to reach are the ones south of LBI, living there i've reached AC within an hour.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 PM

250 posts, read 863,744 times
They have some nice things going for them:

-Ritz 16 Movie theater.
-Virtua Fitness Health Center
-The Mansion at Voorhees Main Street (nice hall)
-Camden County Library location by mall.
-Echelon Mall now redeveloped to Voorhees Town Center. The mall not very successful as a mall, but the redevelopment of it fixed a decaying sight. Unlike most towns in suburban South Jersey, there is no blight sites in Voorhees anymore with the fix of the mall.

-Township Close to real shopping in Cherry Hill and Marlton.
-Close to PATCO high speed line (Ashland Station, Lindenwold Station).
-Close to highway (I-295)
-Good public schools
-Upper middle class in Voorhees and Cherry Hill east.
-Reasonable distance to Camden County College in Blackwood, NJ.
-Some employers (Comcast back end office)

Old 03-14-2009, 06:17 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,169,035 times
If the poster means Voorhees in South Jersey (there is more than one), I don't know that I'd call it affordable. There are certainly other towns that are more affordable nearby. It is considered an affluent address and taxes are high. Not too far is the tiny borough of Tavistack which has the highest property tax bill in the state (average bill over $19K). There are smaller older homes for sure, many of them in poor condition and on or near heavily traveled roads. The schools are very good and I think it's a good investment with the old Echelon Mall being converted to a town center concept, similar to what's going on in Cherry Hill's old Garden State racetrack. Good location too, 295 is closeby, the only problem is that local traffic can be brutal. Also, there is a part of Voorhees near Lindenwold that I would call less attractive. I would think housing is less expensive in that area.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 03-14-2009 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-14-2009, 06:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 20,469,931 times
more good info from Moorestown.. Hes spot on. In a nutshell Vorhees is very nice.. .. I just did a quick real estate search and only a few decent single in that price range.. You will get a better townhome selection in that range..

Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,011,811 times
Default Voorhees

Voorhees = Camden County = High property taxes.

My advice is to look at Burlington County (Evesham is right next to Voorhees) and the tax is much lower.

The one attraction with Voorhees is that it's on the side of the PATCO line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>