Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I can't believe the open racism that goes on at this board. I think if teachers in poorer schools were paid more and held to high standards under performing towns could turn around. In this instance I don't see a problem with more needy schools getting more funds.
I think you will find many of the teachers in Abbott or "poor" districts are trying their very best and working against a culture that does not celebrate learning or scholastic achievement. Obviously there are "bad egg" teachers but most are fighting a losing battle. Until we "fix" the culture that supports early pregnancy, gangs and the overall "thug" lifestyle, the schools will never be able to create a positive learning environment. And for the kids attending these schools I am truly saddened...for what a crappy way to start life.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldwick04 View Post
A friend of mine teaches in Paterson and you would be extremely surprised. They have more/better computers, better science labs/equipment, better desks, etc then the middle class town that we both went to school in. Everything material wise is top notch.

Inner city schools have better things then middle class schools because of all the money they get from the state.... Its only the quality of teachers and the ability of the students to learn that differs.
My daughter teaches 3rd grade in a very rural, low income district in Florida and I can assure you they don't have better classroom equipment than middle class or high income districts. Money, especially Federal and State monies are directly tied to how well their students do on whats called FCAT testing. Even though they come from poor districts where there is little or no parental help or support......many are on financial support for school supplied breakfasts and lunches....its not unusual for one of the parents to be in jail or even both and the child is living with grandparents....this doesn't even take in account for the children that are on some type of medication for psychological or behavior problems....thats even if they get the medication.....its not unusual that the child doesn't get the medication because mom or dad took it to get high and the child shows up to class without the medication they need to help them focus, however, George Bush and "no child left behind" says this child is still expected to compete on the same level as those in wealthy school districts.....if they don't then they actually LOSE money. Then the last slap in the face is the public crying that teachers make too much money or they "haves" don't want to help the "have nots"....bottom line is the system is broken from top to bottom and needs to be fixed !!!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,977 times
It seems to be far easier to blame racism than to acknowledge the root problems and tackle the real issues.

Racism doesn't cause individuals to be lazy, ignorant, or to have absolutely no regard for others. Racism doesn't cause a total disdain for education or a lack of respect for the lives or property of others.

This is, at least partially, created by a segment of society that has gotten used to welfare and affirmative action as a very poor solution to a much larger problem.

Why are we in this country so intent on instilling a feeling of guilt on those who have actually become reasonably successful and/or accomplished without the help of government.

What is so wrong with holding all of our citizens to higher standards? Why should we not expect everyone to be equally responsible for their lives? Everyone in this country has choices - should we reward those who choose to take the handouts of government and feel that they are owed just for existing? Or, should we reward those who choose to make their own way and accept responsibility for the outcome? The answer is obvious to me. After all, the less you expect from someone is usually exactly what you get...less!

So, to answer the op's question - nothing! We all owe it to ourselves to be the very best that we can be and take responsibility for the outcome.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 AM

38 posts, read 84,406 times
Why shouldn't all students compete at the same level?

We talk out both sides of our mouth.

It's interesting to watch how we all get so outraged over discrimination (whatever form) yet are quick to suggest that it's unfair to have a level playing field.

Money is not the issue, it's the culture and it's non traditional components.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:17 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Black/White

maybe Poor/Rich would of been a better input. Because i know many poor white people.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Are u saying poor parents aren't as good with parenting as middle or higher class parents? Who passes the children along every year, is it the parents or the school? Let the thugs fail and wise up. I don't see a solution out of ur attitude.
Your post is inflammatory. There is a higher percentage of parents in low income districts that do not provide the same home environment that fosters the skills needed to help their children succeed. How many years do we keep children back? A year in 1st grade. Then they go on to second grade and need an extra year there, and so on...they'll be 25 before they graduate high school

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a teacher in an Abbott District. It so happens our District has shown steady improvement. Partially because the money given is put into programs that seem to be working and if they don't work then we change them. Early childhood education is a on very important key in these districts. Children in other districts have a larger vocabulary (because it is what is spoken in the home - we call this kitchen english), interpersonal skills (because their parents either seek out playdates or the children are in daycare) and they are read to more frequently than children in the Abbott Districts. Most of these children enter school ready to learn. That is why the Headstart program was developed. If we can get children from lower income families into school by age 3, they are able to develop the skills that make learning easier once they reach elementary school...this goes a long way toward leveling the playing field.

Keeping these kids motivated is the next step. Why is it when my cousin who teaches in Livingston has back to school night 99% of parents show up and when my school has back to school night less than 50% of parents show up? Why is it that 25% of our kids do not turn homework in on a daily basis? Homework helps develop the skills learned in the classroom. It also helps develop good study habits and parents must help their children by, if nothing else, ensuring that their kids attempt to do the homework.

This post is titled incorrectly. The fact is this isn't a racial issue, it is about the fact that Abbott Districts are "traditionally" filled with lower income families, regardless or race, who for MANY reasons may not be doing as much for their children's education as families in other districts. Some Abbott Districts are having better outcomes than others and this should be looked at.

My recommendation is that parents of children who are not making satisfactory grads in Abbott Districts should have to attend a minimum of 24 hours (3 days) per year, in a classroom and attending workshops.

OK, my rant is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey