Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

in a heart beat.
i would make deals with a used car saleman to get OPEC off our backs. please note "china syndrome", anti nuke film, was a jane fonda film.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...china+syndrome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN
Very well said doc. People are spoiled, with the NIMBY syndrome. Just look at this forum we barely have two or three people agreeing on the same thing. Look at the current state of economy, the blame game, everyone pointing the fingers at someone else. Banks are not admitting they should not have made so many sub prime loans, dummies that took the loans that were lucky if they could have afforded a 6' by 8' shed. Back to the OP, I would accept more nuke power ALONG with all the green power. We need a combination of all sorts of power to get away from big oil.

LMAO. Oh how words come back to bite us......
I don't see it that way..
I see JM warning of an out of date, under secured nuke plant in Ocean County...that to me doesn't mean he isn't accepting of a new up to date secure plant

Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
HA!!!! I'm sure you'd have no problem with a Nuke plant in YOUR backyard then, huh?

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ed#post3591075
(And) it's almost in my back yard now. If a nuke plant leaks people within 100 miles will be glowing. Even you.People don't want wind farms, oil burning cars, solar, nuke, you name it they don't want it.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM

505 posts, read 1,762,048 times
I think that nuclear power represents a fascinating dilema. One the one hand you have the toxi waste byproduct of the process. Then again, the emissions of nuclear power are nothing more than steam. Does that make it better or worse than an oil or coal plant? Who knows.

I also agree that we have greatly evolved from Three Mile Island in the 1970s. While human error is inherent in everything we do, nuclear power plants have scores of redundant, automated systems to strive to reach the ultimate balance of automated efficiency along with human awareness. The days the only line of defense being a guy stare at dials and checking a clipboard to see if something is wrong are long gone.

As for the alternate debate on wind, solar or tidal- granted they are much cleaner and greener than nuclear. However, if you look at the power generated per square foot of a nuclear plant vs these alternates and they aren't even close. The cost and size per kW from a nuclear generator is much more favorable than wind or sun. 4,000 acre solar or wind farms to achieve the performance of a 20 acre nuclear site just arent that appealing. Then you have the element of inconsistency with solar (cloudy) and wind.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM

4,178 posts, read 5,056,132 times
wind power is a pipe dream, the same NIMBY's who don't want nuclear also won't want a giant windmill going whoop-whoop-whoop nearby, nor will they want the gigantic shadows oscillating in their midst.

solar has its own, obvious limitations.

hydropower ? the cost-to-benefit ratio would take years to break-even.

all of these are good adjuncts, nothing more.

we still have untapped potential for natural gas & fuel cell powered vehicles, but for commercial/industrial/residential electricity, nothing can match nuclear.

we've been spoiled, and need to suck it up. nuke plants can be built underground, or inside a mountain. you have just as much risk from dying by lightning strike than from a nuke plant failure.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
goldengrain; the site in Nevada is not on a fault line. That's why they chose it. Will the other sources of energy you cited produce economically TODAY? In 10 years? 20 or 30? I haven't seen proof they will, just hopes and projections. The quality of life, as far as disposable income, etc. of our kids is at stake here. We can't get on a soapbox and be "preachy". Real lives will be economically affected by our choices here.

Should we drastically limit consumption of gas, oil and coal; but India and China still use it, they will have cheaper energy than us and put out factory goods far cheaper than we can. They do this already with cheap labour. We are already in hock to China with our bonds.

And seriously; won't the polluted air of a non-compliant China, India, and other nations enter the same atmosphere we breathe in America? That was rhetorical; of course it will. Why are so many enviros so wilfully blind/silent to this? Do you want YOUR kids and grandkids to inherit a lesser standard of living?
I will address all of your concerns in the following:

I, at one time, was considering purchasing a house for retirement rather than a condo and decided that I would free myself, as much as possible, from the shackles of monthly energy bills as much as possible. I did research and decided on geothermal. I interviewed a few families who had installed these units in their yards and heard nothing but praise. There are some schools that are operating on geothermal in the US, too.

If those units are installed properly and the pipes are properly joined and sealed, they are practically foolproof.
You need not be located near a hot spot in the earth for geothermal use. The earth is a pretty much constant temperature at a certain level, and can be used for both cooling and heating.

THe energy lobby in the states, which you must realise by now, has a very far reach. There is negative propaganda and even people who peruse forums such as this, hired by those companies, trying to downplay and discourage people from considering alternatives, but there are systems now in use that receive nothing but praise by the consumer lucky enough to employ them. One of my co-workers had a neighbour who installed solar and was getting a check from his electric company monthly for the energy he PUT BACK INTO their system.

Such is the ignorance and influence of nay-sayers in the US that we are the laggards in this field as compared to other 'first world' nations.

Solar panels are becoming increasingly lighter and less costly.

A recent report by London-based consulting firm New Energy Finance, which found overall global investment in clean energy for the year was up 4.4 percent from $148 billion from 2007.
Alternative Energy's Great 2008 Also Revealed Its Weakness

Eastern European countries that have been looking to reduce their dependence on natural gas from Russia are embarking on several wind and hydro projects. France, a staunch nuclear power advocate, is ramping up its wind and solar and Greece's parliament recently approved five-year solar feed-in tariffs.
nbbusinessjournal.com - For alternative energy 2009 will be a year to 'get through' | Dirk Lammers, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada

Wind power accounts for 20-percent of electricity use in Denmark, 9-percent of use in Spain and 7-percent in Germany.
Little Germany has more than twice the wind power generators than all of North America. http://alternate-power.org/about/

New Zealand and Switzerland, get enough power from their hydroelectric plants to supply half of their countries' energy requirements. What Is Hydroelectric Energy?

England is using wind generators on the shoreline.
Renewable Energy: The Energy Supply for the Future

The Asian Development Bank’s (ADB) investment in alternative sources of energy is $1,152 billion in 2008. The World Bank Group recently reported $1,192 billion to energy efficiency for the year ending 30 June 2008.
House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 04 Mar 2009 (pt 0015)

A Spanish energy company in Mexico is building an alternative energy farm at which should generate 250 megawatts of electricity with 167 turbines, 25 of which are already operating. The rest should be on line by the end of 2009, making the project the largest of its kind in Latin America. (Associated Press; Jan. 22, 2009) Acciona Energía

Ireland has concentrated its efforts in obtaining the fifteen percent barrier, that is , produce fifteen percent of the energy needed by the population through wind farms. This is in fact, a governmental objective for 2010. Judging by the efforts made leading to discovery, one can say that in the future, Ireland can become the market leader in the sector. Analysts believe that wave energy possesses the potential to change and that renewable energy may become the norm; if this is accomplished, then Ireland wouldn't have to depend anymore on the energy provided by others and could thus reduce the consumption of fossil fuels. Alternative Energy Usage in Ireland

For years countries like France, Ireland and Scotland have already used generators to successfully use this source for power.
Alternative Energy Types - How They Are Utilized Today

For some considerable time now, Japan has regarded microhydroelectric and the smaller scaled mini hydroelectric power plants as very suitable for the mountainous terrains. Japanese cities now increasingly use these plants through refinement which have proved excellent. Smaller scale hydroelectric power plants have been developed through the involvement of Japan Natural Energy Company, Kawasaki City Waterworks and Tokyo Electric Power Company
Alternative Energy Development In Japan - How Japan Uses Wind For Energy

Geothermal accounts for one percent of the electricity produced in the U.S. California, Nevada, Hawaii and Utah are states with geothermal power plants. These are plants, and not the units used for home installation.
Geothermal Energy - Untapped Unlimited Renewable Energy From The Earth

'The global cleantech industry stayed on a bull run despite a shaky economy in 2008' -
Clean Energy Revenues Climbed 53% in 2008: Forecast Flat to Down for This Year | Xconomy

The US has farmed so much of it's manufacturing out to China, which is one thing to consider - and we, even in spite of this, are still the world's largest polluter. It has been obvious, on so many occasions, that China has little regard for our, and its own, people. If we lower manufacturing costs by using alternates we will no longer have to put up with their inferior products and without a market in the US their pollution will diminish considerably.

There are other articles, but this is from Wikipedia concerning the faults in the nuclear waste site and our lousy ability to spot them -
Yucca Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In June 2008, a major nuclear equipment supplier, Holtec International, criticised the Department of Energy's safety plan for handling containers of radioactive waste before they are buried at the proposed Yucca Mountain dump. The concern is that, in an earthquake, the unanchored casks of nuclear waste material awaiting burial at Yucca Mountain could be sent into a "chaotic mêlée of bouncing and rolling juggernauts".[
Then, there is the Times article -
Nevada: Changes Made at Nuclear Waste Site - The New York Times
Engineers moved some planned structures at the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste dump after rock samples indicated a fault line unexpectedly ran beneath their original location, an Energy Department official said.

Indeed, as you say, real lives ARE affected here.
We owe our children a livable world, before anything else, I would think. The world population grows at a rate of about 6.6million people per MONTH. Most of those people will have increasing demands for a better life, which means more energy consumption.
Our energy by products, at their currant levels, are destroying ecosystems. We certainly cannot go on as we are. I cannot see much wiggle room here.

Often 'nature' thins out our population with plague and war. I would choose, if I were consulted, to adopt measures to limit population and to continue our present lifestyle with half the population on the planet. That is not about to happen. I do not see any other choice but to live more cleanly on the planet and to show more respect for our home. What was that saying, about the animals - they don't soil the place where they live? How does that reflect on humanity in general, I wonder?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
I was forced to learn a great deal about nuclear power for my job. Before that time, I knew glaringly little about it, and my impression (before I learned about it) was that it was a safe and good alternative.

Now my impression is that nuclear energy could be good but only if enough time and money was spent to do it right, and that means taking care of the waste. Right now, the problem is politics.

The nuclear power plant themselves are not nearly as unsafe (IMO). One thing--you can never have a nuclear explosion at a nuclear power plant--only a meltdown, which means the facility gets hot enough to catch on fire and explode (not nuclear) and spread radioactivity. But that can be engineered for (according to my take on this)

The spent nuclear fuel is stored at the facilities and it is this that causes (in my mind) the main safety hazard. Without going into the specifics of what I learned (although I could, if I got some egging on on this page) the people raising objections to the spent nuclear fuel are not alarmist. The main problem (from my take) is not that we couldn't engineer solutions to reprocess or store nuclear waste, but that there are extreme political barriers. Nobody wants a nuclear storage facility or reprocessing facility, and without some incredibly powerful or pushy leader figuring out how to barrel past the objections and do it right, this waste will sit at the facility and be an extremely dangerous situation.

The waste raises security concerns. It contains plutonium which can be extracted for use in nuclear weapons, and it can be more easily spread and used in a dirty bomb. Currently, it is not being stored safely, and more waste is made every day. It could be handled or reprocessed--but it is not being handled--for political reasons, I believe.

My imperfect take, from an outsider forced to study the issue.
I agree. France is a more controlled economy and there is one approved excellent blueprint for a nuclear plant. This is replicated whenever they require a new one. They, therefore, have personnel who are expert in that plant, both the building and maintaining. I believe France has not had one nuclear mishap. This may be an over simplification, but it is what I have read.

We, on the other hand, have many plants that are built by competitive bidding. That means, though they want SAFE plants, there is always that HUGE incentive to cut costs. THen again employees are pretty much trained on that one style plant. For something potentially this dangerous, the more engineers etc, who can handle the mechanics of it the better, in my book.

Ukraine was the breadbasket of the region. Do people live there yet? Can they grow crops there? There is noplace in the US that should have exposure to that horror. It only takes once, and a huge swath of land is made totally useless. For eons.

The one ugly problem, for me a show-stopper, is how to render the waste safe. No one has been able to do this. I am sure there are great minds working on it because of the monied interests involved. Every now and again I see an article about some college having a breakthrough, but they have never panned out as legitimate, and a more suspicious mind might think some of these are bogus to defuse the 'opposition'.

That waste will just pile up and pile up and we will be rendering more and more land inhabitable and there will inevitably be earthquakes at some sites because our means of predicting them and even finding fault lines seem to be, well, faulty. And, yes, there is the worry over the fuel from some plants being stolen for the making of bombs and the plants are not impervious to a well planned terrorist threat, I have been told.

Last edited by goldengrain; 03-19-2009 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM

174 posts, read 431,084 times
goldengrain, we still pollute more than Red China? Is it by a significant amount? And given it's increaseing development, will they pass us soon?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
yes to OP question

Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
We're supposed to be the "Saudia Arabia of Coal". How about adding that to the mix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey