Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 PM

174 posts, read 431,084 times

Advertisements

I grew up in New Jersey. I love Taylor Ham. And like all of you, I know you have to cut it on four sides to keep it from "curling up". (Ma always cut an "X" in the middle as well). It's tasty; I'll grant you that. But if you ever leave New Jersey and run into another Garden Stater, this is a cultural touchstone. Far more important than just taste appeal. It's deeper.

I traveled around the country and saw what regional treats each section had to offer. I love all foods, so I dug in with relish. But I still have yet to find a treat the equal of the love and affection me and my "ex-pat" New Jersians have for Taylor Ham. (I never called it Pork Roll, BTW).

Jersey is tough, it's gritty. Hard working, passionate and political. You grow up there, you've got an advantage the rest of your life over mere mortals. Whoever coined the term, "**** and vinegar", probably had a Jersey kid in mind.

I'm reading alot of "angst" threads here lately. I understand, cause you guys live in such an expensive state. But Jersey is resilient and with it's own unique culture. The food, the diners, or even the quintessential icon, "Taylor Ham". Heck, even I don't know why I love it so much. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
if you love taylor ham, no explanation is necessary.
if you don't, no explanation is possible.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 PM

174 posts, read 431,084 times
Another thing; if you do chance to meet up with another New Jersey native, the accent of course is the first tip off. At least the Northeast one for me. Ya start talking about home, The Gints, The Yanks, etc. Then it always gets to the crappy urban areas you all grew up in but still remember so fondly. If your Irish or Italian, you talk about what parish you came from. I don't recall any other area that talks like that. Louisianna speaks about Parishes; but that's just what they call Counties.

Most folks I meet from New Jersey have an unabiding love for the place and deep appreciation that it made them more able to cope and excel in life. It's an attitude. An appreciation that you should always strive, but be grateful for what you have.

I remember the summers when Ma shaved our heads with the clippers to save money on haircuts. We went about without shirts, though it's frowned upon today, even for 6 and 7 years olds. The "ride trucks" came around with the "Whip" or "Ferris Wheel". We always got a crappy "gift" as we left that was just as junky as the one you got from a box of Cracker Jacks, LOL!

Those pink "Spaldeen" balls we used for stick ball in the streets. Five cent Devil Dogs and ten cent comic books. Ma always bought Crumb Buns after Sunday Mass.

Taking the 21 Main Street Bus from East Orange to downtown Newark in August, so Ma could buy our school clothes at Bamberger's Bargain Basement. (We always got a hot dog and Orange Julius). If any of you are old enough, the hot dog/snack bar at "Bam's" was right next to the escalator, remember?

Jersey, you are the best. Drop dead, no doubt. Heck, even the Travel Channel had a segment awhile back about Taylor Ham. It's actually what prompted this. I apologize for maybe getting "sappy", but I'll always love the place I came from.

(Don't even get me started on Jimmy Buff's, LOL)!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Good posts, but I have to disagree with you on one thing: It's Pork Roll when the king of sandwich meat is discussed in my circles. Taylor Ham is something you have when you can't get your hands on a loaf of pork roll. (j/k of course. I use the terms interchangeably.)

Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i live in nc now, and a fellow nj 'ite owns a deli down here. when i am feeling glum and need a taste of home, i go there and he makes me a taylor ham egg and cheese sandwhich and it makes me feel all better again

Old 03-16-2009, 08:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
I love "pork roll" too!!

Tahiti is right, no explanation necessary.

My WV dh doesn't like it and neither do his parents. Oh well.... It's a Jersey thing.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
I agree with Stripes17..................PORK ROLL is what it is called in our house and always has been.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
PEC... Pork roll, egg and cheese.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
its a pa thing too. Had it all my life in pa before we went over the bridge..

Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
its a pa thing too. Had it all my life in pa before we went over the bridge..
Really

I've never found it outside of NJ. Even in PA - I must have been in the wrong areas for it, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey