Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 23,691 times

Advertisements

I have looked through other posts but I think that my situation is a little unique. I may have to move for work to a company located in Woodcliff Lake. The job will require me to travel most of the week but I would not like to be more than an hour from the office should I have to go in. My girlfriend will potentially be able to relocate to an office in Short Hills where she would be working during the week. We are both 24 years old and looking for someplace near Short Hills (so my girlfriend's commute is not that long) and somewhere where we can be within walking distance to a train that will let us stay out at least a little late (midnight-1 AM ish) in NYC. Are there any suburbs in NJ that fit this criteria and have a potential population of people our age? We both would have cars but would like a downtown type area where we could walk around.

As for rent, we would probably be looking for a one bedroom, MAX $2000 per month. Hopefully something less so that we could save over what we pay now in the Washington DC area. Any suggestions? Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:03 PM

619 posts, read 2,198,823 times
You want Summit.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post
I have looked through other posts but I think that my situation is a little unique. I may have to move for work to a company located in Woodcliff Lake. The job will require me to travel most of the week but I would not like to be more than an hour from the office should I have to go in. My girlfriend will potentially be able to relocate to an office in Short Hills where she would be working during the week. We are both 24 years old and looking for someplace near Short Hills (so my girlfriend's commute is not that long) and somewhere where we can be within walking distance to a train that will let us stay out at least a little late (midnight-1 AM ish) in NYC. Are there any suburbs in NJ that fit this criteria and have a potential population of people our age? We both would have cars but would like a downtown type area where we could walk around.

As for rent, we would probably be looking for a one bedroom, MAX $2000 per month. Hopefully something less so that we could save over what we pay now in the Washington DC area. Any suggestions? Thank you so much
Shouldn't be too hard to find a rental for under 2000. Maplewood, Summit, and South Orange would all put you close to Short Hills, close to the Garden State Parkway (for your Woodcliff Lake commute) and close to a train that has weekend service.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 AM

105 posts, read 330,498 times
I agree, though I am new to Summit. The parking to the train is abundant - in other words, you can can a parking permit right away. It's easy to find housing in your price range that will be walking distance to the train station and downtown. The train station is part of the downtown, actually. My children attend school in Short Hills, It's just a 10 minute drive door-to-door. The commute to NYC takes my husband just over an hour to World Trade Center in the morning. Nighttime, the commute is longer, only because there aren't as many express trains.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 AM

587 posts, read 2,177,803 times
With 2k you can land a spot in a 2 family in Millburn with off street parking for both cars. They have a great downtown area. Train access to NY. Top notch school system. Minutes away from Short Hills.
Other places to look at:
Madison
Chatham
Summit

Old 03-17-2009, 08:02 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,150 times
South Orange - there are rentals there near the train, it's close to Short Hills, and on a train line to NYC. There is a younger crowd there, plus Seton Hall is in South Orange.

Last edited by Lusitan; 03-17-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 23,691 times
Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to go check out the area a bit more closely.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,962,665 times
Keep in mind that the last NJ Transit trains for places like Chatham, Madison, Summit and Millburn leave Manhattan around 12:30 AM.

If you plan on staying out in the NYC later than midnightish, you're gonna have to go with the PATH train which runs 24 hours (every 30 minutes after midnight).

Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM

138 posts, read 610,286 times
The PATH is every 15 minutes between midnight & 3 AM on Saturdays.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Keep in mind that the last NJ Transit trains for places like Chatham, Madison, Summit and Millburn leave Manhattan around 12:30 AM.

If you plan on staying out in the NYC later than midnightish, you're gonna have to go with the PATH train which runs 24 hours (every 30 minutes after midnight).
On weekends, one can drive to the PATH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey