Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 AM

86 posts, read 247,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialLife1 View Post
Hi,
I currently live in NYC and went to see 60 last Sunday. What I liked is during my wait for a tour, there were lots of white and asian people looking also (Sorry to whoever might get affended, that type of thing is important to me) saw Empire View also, its a little cheaper than 60 but it lacks all the perks 60 has to offer. I have heard alot about the redevelopment of East Orange and Newark which prompted me to do some research. My advice is visit the area at various times during the week and weekend, day and night. Ive done this and didnt notice anything crazy. Being a single female being safe is KEY. Im going to do more research. Please keep me posted if you find out anything new.
thank you for the post.

that is not offensive AT ALL. i am black and was worried because all i saw were blacks looking to buy, but if there are whites and asians also interested in buying that is a good sign. diversity, in my experience, can really help to improve the quality of life for everyone.

i saw it again in the evening. and it was really very nice. being safe as a female is very important to me. people say stay in montclair but i can not afford to buy here, and renting to make someone else rich does not really help me.

i will keep u up to date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
I left East Orange in 1970. Went back a time or two to visit Ma; the last time was 1983. It got rough and crime rose. Found out my wife's old grammar school, (Ashland), on Park Avenue burned down awhile back. Main Street died; Muirs Department Store passed into history. Now I know things will be different if you leave home as things change and progress. That's inevitable. But having two major highways gut whole neighborhoods sure didn't help.

There is still some of the most beautiful homes and large apartment buildings you ever saw in East Orange. Much is run down, but still able to be restored. What the town needs is an infusion of young, middle class families to balance out the folks that have not done a thing to preserve the beauty that town still has. Whites will not move back until they are assured of physical safety and a voice in local government/school board.

Yet on several ocassions, I've read others that say similar things jumped on and tangentally accused of racism. So I'll say it as plain as possible; if you are white, you are in danger just living in East Orange. I wish it wasn't so. I grew up in a red brick, six family apartment building on Park Avenue between Prospect Street and Woodland Avenue. E.O. residents know exactly where I'm talking about. I remember when they were building the "Executive House" luxury hi-rise on Propspect Street. The city still had promise.

East Orange will come back if they can attract a large number of young, white families to balance out the strong black middle class already there. That will be attacked as "racial"; but I think I'm right. The town is a jewel waiting to be polished agan; I just don't know if the will exists to do so.
i hope in order for 60 and empire view to be successful they have to, have to, have to make sure that there are plenty of security features so that middle and upper middle income people feel safe there. i understand what you are saying about white people and i agree.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 PM

a bump for updates if any are available

Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM

728 posts, read 1,956,896 times
The problem East Orange is to foregone to attract white middle class families. People usually say that about town at a tipping point. To curb the white exodus and gain whites, Montclair and South Orange did this with redevelopment. East Orange is to foregone. 60 parkway drive is nice and it gives a commuter easy access to everything. Also the northern side of East Orange does have some gorgeous properties. Unfortunately they are few and far between. Im not trying to discourage you from living in East Orange, 60 parkway drive is good for a commuter, but I dont think East Orange will ever come back, perhaps it will be better then Orange but will never compare South and West Orange or Montclair.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
The problem East Orange is to foregone to attract white middle class families. People usually say that about town at a tipping point. To curb the white exodus and gain whites, Montclair and South Orange did this with redevelopment. East Orange is to foregone. 60 parkway drive is nice and it gives a commuter easy access to everything. Also the northern side of East Orange does have some gorgeous properties. Unfortunately they are few and far between. Im not trying to discourage you from living in East Orange, 60 parkway drive is good for a commuter, but I dont think East Orange will ever come back, perhaps it will be better then Orange but will never compare South and West Orange or Montclair.
i dont think it will ever be a montclair, but i hope that it will make more of a come back. i know its comeback options are limited or would take a life time, but i think even mild improvements could be a boom

Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 PM

786 posts, read 2,655,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
Hello,

I went to the see the 60 parkway drive condo a few days ago and fell in love. but i worry...

i am a commuter from NYC and dont intend to spend anytime in east orange outside of the building, should i worry about crime?

i have not seen the empire view is it worth it? it seems to have a high pricetag for less amenities? what do people think how do they compare?

edit: i work and go out in NYC but my apartment and sleeping is in Montclair.

edit2: i am looking to buy because i am tired of renting.
I looked at the place (60) using google street view and MSFT's virtual earth, and man, that's some big building....very urban looking...

Some points:

1. The SF homes around it don't look too bad and are in the $200k range. Take a look at these in person and see whether they look taken care of, and the neighbors look ok. It's very impt that the surrounding homes seem to be in good order.

2. The parking lot in the back of that building looks deserted, large, and kinda scary. Someone walking that will be seemingly isolated, but maybe it's only because I'm not looking at it personally.

3. The resale value of your condo will depend a lot on the people living in the same place. Check them out, and the other condos. if it looks like the place might be going downhill, might be a bad idea to risk your money on it. How many condos are occupied compared to total space available? If there are many empty condos, this could spell problems in the long run.

Perhaps you should consider visiting the place several times during the day and at night to get a feel for the area.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
I looked at the place (60) using google street view and MSFT's virtual earth, and man, that's some big building....very urban looking...

Some points:

1. The SF homes around it don't look too bad and are in the $200k range. Take a look at these in person and see whether they look taken care of, and the neighbors look ok. It's very impt that the surrounding homes seem to be in good order.

2. The parking lot in the back of that building looks deserted, large, and kinda scary. Someone walking that will be seemingly isolated, but maybe it's only because I'm not looking at it personally.

3. The resale value of your condo will depend a lot on the people living in the same place. Check them out, and the other condos. if it looks like the place might be going downhill, might be a bad idea to risk your money on it. How many condos are occupied compared to total space available? If there are many empty condos, this could spell problems in the long run.

Perhaps you should consider visiting the place several times during the day and at night to get a feel for the area.

thank you for your post, i have visited during the day but not at night.

1- yes i am a little like it/dont like it torn about the outside look of the building. the homes in the nearby area look ok. a lot of them are for sale though (although a lot of the homes here in montclair are for sale too)

2-the parking didnt look to bad in person. there is only one entrance and there is a guard on duty and gate 24/7. i have seen it during the day but not at night, i dont know how it looks at night.

3- right now the building is new. when i last checked 61% of the units were occupied, all by the owners. , most people are commuters to NYC. the developer plans to have sold all the units by the end of the year.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 AM

786 posts, read 2,655,601 times
Quote:
thank you for your post, i have visited during the day but not at night. 1- yes i am a little like it/dont like it torn about the outside look of the building. the homes in the nearby area look ok. a lot of them are for sale though (although a lot of the homes here in montclair are for sale too)
Yeah, I just don't like buying into a place where everyone seems to want to get out

Quote:
3- right now the building is new. when i last checked 61% of the units were occupied, all by the owners. , most people are commuters to NYC. the developer plans to have sold all the units by the end of the year.
You get that 61% from the condo certification?

Here's something about occupancy rates and how they might impact getting a loan
http://www.urbandigs.com/2007/01/owneroccupancy.html

Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
Yeah, I just don't like buying into a place where everyone seems to want to get out

You get that 61% from the condo certification?

Here's something about occupancy rates and how they might impact getting a loan
Owner/Occupancy Rate: Does it Matter? — Manhattan Real Estate: New York City Real Estate Tips
we dont expect to have a problem getting a loan. the sellers have agreements with chase and wellsfargo (the lenders we were already going to work with) of the two most likely chase.

61% is sold to owners who all live there. but the rest are unsold because the building is new. it is different than if 61% are occupied by the owners and the rest are rented/leased/empty for a reason other than it is new. or at least that is what i read and what the chase guy told me.

i understand what you mean by not wanting to be somewhere where everyone wants to leave. part of me is not that fazed by it because i see lots of for sale signs here in montclair.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 AM

as an aside because of reading about what happened to 60 parkway drive and other buildings like it when it was "the mayfair" i would never consider buying in a building or condo unit that was less than 80% owner occupied. which again in my mind is different than owner an building that is a redone and has sold 61% of the units of which 100% are owner occupied. maybe i am wrong in my thinking if so feel free to correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey