Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:29 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times

Advertisements

Jealousy of friends that a mate has is a sign of a much deeper problem. If someone needs that much assurance that they are the person that their mate loves means that they have self-confidence issues, and no relationship in the world is going to fix that. I believe that unless someone has done something to breach trust, that they should be trusted - each person is an individual. Just because one person has cheated in the past is not an indicator that the next person is going to cheat.

When I first met my husband, my friends were mostly male, and his mostly female. Now we have a group of great friends all together that are both male and female, because my friends became his, and vice versa.

If someone demands that their SO stops having friends because of their own insecurity issues, that's a huge red flag, and a huge problem.

*deposits two cents in the box, steps off of soap box and walks away*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I don't believe men can be friends with women, either. From disappointed personal experience. Thought I had male friends, but the strangest thing, when I got married, boom, never heard from any of them ever again!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:13 PM

460 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Back in high school I had a girlfriend I really liked and thought we were really close and she started walking home from her school with a 'male freind' and she tells me it's nothing and asks me if I trust her bla bla bla so having no prior experience with this sort of thing and also feeling secure with our relationship I say 'nah, it don't worry me' which it didn't. To make a long stoy short it wasn't long beore I was out a girlfriend and the 'male friend' became her NEW boyfriend -- DOH!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Yes, I think a lot of people use opposite-sex friendships to flatter their egos, lend some drama to their lives, or line up the next love interest.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Am I the only one that feels trust is earned and not just given? Even people I thought that earned my trust, in the end, it didn't work out.

Trust is something I work hard to gain from people, and I hold it close, and expect someone to work for it.

Personal experience, politicians, scandals, its all over the place, and when there are studies that 50% of married couples are cheating, it makes it that much harder.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Wow. I'm glad that my husband didn't think like a lot of you guys, or he never would have been my husband.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Actually, in the beginning of our relationship, my SO thought that even though my longtime friend was gay, he was secretly pining for me all those years. There was some jealousy and insecurity there at first, but I knew he would get past that... and he did! It was totally worth it in our case, but if the guy shows signs of being possessive, FORGET IT.
I agree with nowitsshowtime.

IMO people who complain about their SO being jealous, are the ones hiding something. If you really care about your SO, you change your behavior.

YMMV

Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Or, it could be that the person has no reason for the SO to be jealous - and the SO is a controlling jerk. Anyone who tries to control what friends I can and cannot have can find the door.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
then you're saying your friends are more important than you SO

Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM

Nope - I'm saying that my SO has a problem if they are jealous of all of my friends - and yes - maybe it's a sign that it's not the right SO for me, if my world does not completely revolve around them. That being said - as I said - my husband and I have been pretty happily married for 12 1/2 years. We've been together for 13 1/2. My friends and family came with me. So did his. Luckily, we all get along just fine. My friends became his friends. His friends became mine.

Anyone who was not accepting of the fact that I had friends before the relationship, and that I would continue to have friends through the relationship, I was not going to have a relationship with for very long.

ANYONE who would tell ANYONE to give up their friends for them is the one with the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey