Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:18 AM

60 posts, read 455,182 times

Advertisements

Winnie,

I'm looking to move in Jersey, but you've tempted me into looking at Orange County as well. However I can't find any train stations in Monroe. I thought you said the commute from there to NYC was easy? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat05
Winnie,

I'm looking to move in Jersey, but you've tempted me into looking at Orange County as well. However I can't find any train stations in Monroe. I thought you said the commute from there to NYC was easy? Am I missing something?
Park and ride in Monroe, train is on the opposite side of the river. My dad uses the stop in Beacon (he lives north of Monroe in Newburgh area), I will ask him what other routes there are when I see him later today. Orange county is quite large, about 50 miles wide and about as long. Not all of the county is easy commuting, but Monroe is the easiest to do by bus-17 miles closer than Newburgh. Monroe is beautiful by the way, but it is more expensive than northern Orange county. Still, it seems that people who work in NYC have no problem affording some of the stunning homes down there! If you do go up for a visit, be sure to grab some dinner at the Gasho resturant north of the commons on rte 32.

Again, I will get his opinion tonight about the best commute as he has been doing this for some time. Then I will be able to give you a more clear answer.

This area is full of people who commute to NYC and it is growing rapidly. I believe the last data I saw was this was one of the top 20 fastest growing counties. A lot of business moving in here and there is a pretty healthy job market. Lost of really great shopping and people from other states come here for Woodbury commons, the Crystal Run Galleria and the Dutchess mall.

It IS a bit expensive - taxes are high- but if you work in the city it is my sincere recommendation that you check out Orange county. If you make the money you can really stretch it farther than in rockland or long island or NJ.

I'll be back later tonight.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:15 PM

I just finished talking to my dad. He said that from Monroe, the bus station is the best bet for getting into the city.. He also said though that the commute times do vary, and that from where we are in Newburgh it is a little more than an hour and 15 min into the city, it all varies greatly depending on what time you go to work, where you need to go, if you take the train or bus or drive. So if you do need to be around an hour communte - Monroe is the best choice. He also said that many people live on the other side of the river - in Carmel, Beacon, Fishkill etc. I am not familiar with the cost of living over there. But to give a dead on accurate time is just not possible.

The train that goes through monroe is the metro north port jervis line. You would get on at the Harriman stop. It goes into Hoboken NJ- which takes you to the PATH train into NYC (Penn station). Dad said that last time he took that train there was no express, so it seemed to take forever. That was 10 years ago- check the site below to see how it runs now.

One thing I want to point out is that while it is nice to have an hour commute or less, you have to figure that at least you are not driving. My dad uses the time on the bus to relax, read, or even catch a catnap. So if you want to try out the commuting, perhaps you would consider renting short term around here, learn the area- then decide if this area is right for you- and what areas catch your interests.. The payoffs for the commute are : great schools, lovely homes, nice property, and a significantly less congestion.

Metro north maps: http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Good luck to both of you with your decisions, feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:23 AM

5 posts, read 54,251 times
Thanks for all of the replies. I have been told about Monroe and have looked on the internet at that area. The housing prices seem great (compared to Bergen) but the NJTransit site has the commute into Penn Station at about 1.5 hours. As others have mentioned, I would have to add on at least another 30 minutes to get to the Upper East Side. Two hours is definitely too long. Also the Monroe Woodbury School District has about 600 to 800 kids per graduating class, which is something I would like to avoid, if possible.

So if Bergen County is out of my price range, are there other counties that are more reasonable (Essex, Passiac, Sussex, Morris) that could fit my parameters?

I do appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Dave

Old 06-30-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom22
Thanks for all of the replies. I have been told about Monroe and have looked on the internet at that area. The housing prices seem great (compared to Bergen) but the NJTransit site has the commute into Penn Station at about 1.5 hours.

I do appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Dave
The train must have a lot of stops, my dad warned me about that. Beacon has an express, but is further north. 1.5 hours to go less than 50 miles is just rediculous for a train. Did you check out the bus?

I think you are going to be REALLY hard pressed to meet all your parameters - in fact I think it is going to be downright impossible.

Longer commute, or more kids in the school. There are no rural areas south of monroe (which IS still pretty rural despite the high number of graduating students). You have to prioritize your list and decide what you are going to be more willing to compromise on. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I just don't see you getting everything you want here. Have you been to this area before???

Old 06-30-2006, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 54,251 times
Winnie-

I haven't checked out the bus commute from Monroe. I haven't found a good site yet that gives me schedules and times like the NJTransit does for the train.

To answer your question about being in the area before, yes, my wife has been commuting for a year and living in an apartment in Manhattan during the week, but rarely gets to spend time in NJ. We looked at communities last year when we originally wanted to move when she accepted her job, but decided to have her commute and ease into the move. I have now been offered a job, which forces our hand to move this summer.

Areas where the schools are the appropriate sizes and of good quality that we have found are Ramsey, Glen Rock, Tenafly, and Ridgewood. On link removed those communities all have listings at $500,000 and below, but there are only a handful so it will be harder to find something I like.

I will be looking this coming Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

Dave

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2006 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Take a look at Rutherford. Its in Bergen County I think, but it's pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of the county. I have a friend who lives there and she loves it. There is light rail and bus transportation. Schools have a decent reputation. The small parts of Rutherford I've been in are very nice. The only negative thing my friend has mentioned after living there 4 or 5 years is that there isn't a good playground.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:42 PM

Winnie--

Thank you very much for getting all this great info for me! And please thank your dad for me too!

Now my family has more options to think about.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat05
Winnie--

Thank you very much for getting all this great info for me! And please thank your dad for me too!

Now my family has more options to think about.
No problem! If anything, I would recommend taking a drive up here on the weekend to see areas like Goshen, Chester, Monroe, even outer Middletown is very nice. And if you have any more questions about the area please feel free to send me a PM.

To Thom, best luck in your search. If you do find something that matches all your criteria you'd best keep it a well guarded secret because people are moving out of NYC by the thousands and many are looking for the same thing you are. My father knows people who work in the city that live in Danbury CT, some come in from even north of us in Kingston! While you are at it though, check out Highland Falls in NY (about an hour by car) . I know a few people down there and they seem to like it. New City, Warwick and Nyack are also popular with commuters but they are most likely more expensive than NJ, and I know nothing about their schools or crime rates.

I will ask my dad about the bus and let you know how long it takes him to get to the city from Monroe. This way you have that info before you make your decision. I am not sure if you are aware of link removed - but that is a website I use every time I move - which is frequent since I am a military wife.

Last edited by Yac; 07-01-2006 at 04:55 AM..

Old 06-30-2006, 08:53 PM

Go to shortlinebus.com (coachusa.com)

It says from Monroe park and ride to GWB is 1:10.

I haven't got a clue how to navigate NYC, so it is up to you to read the schedule and decide how long it would be for your particular situation. Your individual hours of work really influence how much time it actually takes to get to your job. if you start your commute early (before 7 am) you are most likely to have a smooth commute from up here. You should see the NYS thruway going south during a weekday around 8 am. Pure mayhem. At least at the park and ride you get on a bus and relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey