Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:52 PM

174 posts, read 431,189 times

Advertisements

I don't live in New Jersey any more. Left in 1970 at age 18, so I have no idea how much a young couple needs to make to afford a home in a fairly decent town. Since joining here, I've read numerous threads concerning schools, crime, freeway accessability, property taxes. And it really sounds daunting.

Not everyone in New Jersey is a white collar executive with a lavish pay package. So my question is based upon if you were in your early 20's and you and your spouse had joint income of say $60,000.00. What would your options be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
I don't live in New Jersey any more. Left in 1970 at age 18, so I have no idea how much a young couple needs to make to afford a home in a fairly decent town. Since joining here, I've read numerous threads concerning schools, crime, freeway accessability, property taxes. And it really sounds daunting.

Not everyone in New Jersey is a white collar executive with a lavish pay package. So my question is based upon if you were in your early 20's and you and your spouse had joint income of say $60,000.00. What would your options be?
(1) rent, save, wait for the market to correct
(2) spend more on renting something nice, and give up on the idea of buying until you get a pay increase.
(3) buy a condo (you can get these for around 200 or so)
(4) buy a small house in a sketchy neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:14 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:

Townhouse - Warren or Sussex County. Warren is a little more convenient for accessing major highways such as 80 and 78.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM

329 posts, read 1,529,123 times
common rule never pay rent or mortgage more than a third of your gross monthly pay.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
like it's always been.....save first. (well, except for the past 5 yrs)

what's the deal with people thinking young 20 somethings are entitled to a home?

to answer your question - save up enough for a downpayment - $40K and have a savings cushion, and you can probably afford something around $200K.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

what's the deal with people thinking young 20 somethings are entitled to a home?

to answer your question - save up enough for a downpayment - $40K and have a savings cushion, and you can probably afford something around $200K.
at 60K, they would only qualify for a max. mortgage amount of 150K..assuming that they are debt free.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:

Two options in New Jersey:

1 - An abandoned van down by the river.

2 - A large cardboard box at a superfund cleanup site of your choice with a few bucks leftover for a happy meal.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Two options:

An abandoned van down by the river.

A large cardboard box at a superfund cleanup site of your choice with a few bucks leftover for a happy meal.
That's not true...
they are selling brand new townhouses out my way for 169K! 5 mins off of Rt. 78

Actually...looks like they dropped to 159,900! Nice setup for a young couple just starting out...

[CENTER][SIZE=3]Media Report[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Photo 1 of 10 Photo 2 of 10
Photo 3 of 10 Photo 4 of 10
Photo 5 of 10 Photo 6 of 10
Photo 7 of 10 Photo 8 of 10
Photo 9 of 10 Photo 10 of 10

Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
That's not true...
they are selling brand new townhouses out my way for 169K! 5 mins off of Rt. 78
The only thing is that one cannot control the $$$ increases in the municipal and especially NJ State Property taxes.

If one must: Roll your dice and take your chances and even "if" the mortgage is paid off one probably will have a $1k+/month tax payments as well as fees if living in a townhouse.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:44 PM

174 posts, read 431,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

I never meant to imply any sense of entitlement; I apologize if I gave that impression. But I remember my sister and brother-in-law buying a small "fixer upper" in Hopatcong back in the early sixties with the aid of the G.I. Bill. Getting out of a 2 bedroom apartment in East Orange was what motivated them to move to the "boonies", which Hopatcong really was in 1963. And he had to commute to his job as a maintence/HVAC worker at an office building in Parsipanny. Sis was a stay at home Mom.

My wife and I didn't buy our first home until I retired from the USMC, because we had friends that had been unable to sell right away when being transferred across country in the 1980's. You get enough family seperations in the military as it is, so we preferred to live in base housing.

It just bugs me that home ownership is out of reach for so many these days. My son in Hackettstown is paying a young fortune in taxes like all of you; but he's 40 and makes in the low 6 figures. What about the young mechanic married to a secretary or entry level school teacher? It just seems harder for folks in New Jersey than in other states, though I must admit here in California it's just as bad.

My youngest son lives next door to a teacher that's married to a fireman. Both just got laid off. They have a four year old son, and she's expecting. I just don't remember the affordability factor being so out of whack years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey