Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:32 PM

9,334 posts, read 20,680,010 times

Advertisements

Has this type of conversation, or variation thereof, ever occurred? Earlier today, I was at the gym, and we had someone from Houston present. (someone must always be present due to liability insurance provisions) I was talking to her about Houston versus where she is now (New Mexico) and the comparisons and contrasts. Cost of living came up in the discussion, and at some point I mentioned to her that I was from New Jersey. And she said very matter of fact: "Yes, I can tell!" And I asked her how? By my accent? (I don't think I have an NJ accent at all by the way) She elaborated: "Yes, but also by the way you talk and act. You talk a lot more than other people here, a lot faster, and have a lot more observations." I asked her if that was a compliment or an insult. Again, very matter of fact: "It's neither. You are just very different." So I got into personal experience with her, and she went on to say that there were many relocatees that work in Houston (she works normally at Johnson Space Center) and the people from New Jersey in her observations were more like myself, more talkative, faster talking, opinionated, etc. Which is funny, because since I've moved here, friends and family from back home have told me how much they think I've slowed down. But I digress. I was wondering if any of the forum regulars here who no longer live in NJ have ever been told what I was told a little earlier today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 03:46 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,500,795 times
No, I've never been told that, but I live in Boston and the culture is not so radically different except for a few choice things that aren't acceptable here (like complaining and telling people what you really think) that really grease the wheels of social life in NJ.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,775 times
Depends on what part of the country. On the west coast other people from NY/NJ/CT area will frequently notice but strangely native Californians don't think I have much of an accent. I think they don't pickup on nuanced things like someone from back there would- such as phrasing, sense of humor, just a certain way of framing things. That's what people have noticed and like I said it is from people who are from back there originally themselves.

Back in the 80's I visited Albuquerque and I was actually surprised at the fact that lots of folks spoke fast - probably unlike the rest of that state. It's like they were extremely laid back people living at a fast pace. My cousins were like that and they were natives there.

Native southerners always comment on my accent but strangely never guess where I am from. They guess things like New Hampshire, Maryland - like those places even have similar accents? I am not from north jersey and my accent was never heavy to begin with but some people have not been outside of their local area and just go with these wild guesses.

Funny, the part of my family that came from Boston were very opinionated. Probably a throw back working class era thing but they spoke their minds and complained about everything from what I remember. Those types are still there I'm sure. Try like East Boston or Revere.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:07 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,290,373 times
It happens to my husband quite a bit-people comment about his "accent". If he tells people he is originally from NJ, a lot of people will say that they could tell. The funny thing is that a lot of his work is on the phone-with law firms and other businesses around the country. People from all states will say to him-"You don't sound like someone from NH". It is funny because I think his "accent" is much less than when we lived in NJ. Even funnier, I think it comes out stronger again when he speaks to family in NJ on the phone or when we are back in NJ. When we first moved to NH, I used to get comments from people about how I pronounced certain words and I would get "You are not originally from here, are you?".

I think that we have both slowed down since moving here. Even so, I believe we still talk faster and are more talkative than natives. As far as being opinionated, I think that there is no difference between NJ and NH natives, at least in my experiences.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM

326 posts, read 1,298,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Has this type of conversation, or variation thereof, ever occurred? Earlier today, I was at the gym, and we had someone from Houston present. (someone must always be present due to liability insurance provisions) I was talking to her about Houston versus where she is now (New Mexico) and the comparisons and contrasts. Cost of living came up in the discussion, and at some point I mentioned to her that I was from New Jersey. And she said very matter of fact: "Yes, I can tell!" And I asked her how? By my accent? (I don't think I have an NJ accent at all by the way) She elaborated: "Yes, but also by the way you talk and act. You talk a lot more than other people here, a lot faster, and have a lot more observations." I asked her if that was a compliment or an insult. Again, very matter of fact: "It's neither. You are just very different." So I got into personal experience with her, and she went on to say that there were many relocatees that work in Houston (she works normally at Johnson Space Center) and the people from New Jersey in her observations were more like myself, more talkative, faster talking, opinionated, etc. Which is funny, because since I've moved here, friends and family from back home have told me how much they think I've slowed down. But I digress. I was wondering if any of the forum regulars here who no longer live in NJ have ever been told what I was told a little earlier today!

It's funny I was going to post the same exact thread... LOL

I had the same exact experience you did the other day and I as well didn't think I had an accent.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:09 PM

652 posts, read 1,778,966 times
Default Yea there is a difference alright

I get a lot of confusion from people. I find westerners don't bother to think the simple social interactions thru in advance. They think I am to pushy and fast, I've been out here 31 years! I think I'm slow and would probably get run over by people, if I came home. And there it is, 31 years away, and NJ is still home.
I have met other NJ'ers out here most of them have assimilated and weren't from densely urban areas of Essex County or Bergen etc. Anyone from that area seems to remain unchanged. I'd bet the Philly area is the same. Somehow we come to know who we are sooner and more certainly than others which makes for less tendency to completely change ourselves just because those around us have changed.
What I come to know as the thing that most differentiates us is our exposure to people and all the different ways they are. We have a more open and tolerant view of more of the differences between people because we know pretty much the whole gamut of weird seeming but normal ways people are. Out here if one is different from the few norms they know one is going to have a very hard time of it. And there is no convincing them of normalcy, they don't even believe their own eyes

Old 03-26-2009, 04:33 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,055,179 times
Quote:
I was wondering if any of the forum regulars here who no longer live in NJ have ever been told what I was told a little earlier today!
There is a similar thread ongoing:

Does your Jersey 'tude come out when you're out of state????

Funny, the person who started this thread also had an experience in Texas!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:17 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,738,575 times
I moved to SC and I hear it all the time. People will say "where are you from" and when I say NJ, they say "I thought so." I don't know how they mean it but it doesn't really matter to me.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,527,050 times
Happened to me just today. Down in Galveston I walked into a store and noticed this pretty girl. Of course she stood out because she was about 6' 4" tall so I went over for a closer look. She comes up to me and says she heard me talking up at the register and was wondering what part of Jersey I was from. I said I was clear across the store, how can you tell? Was it my accent? She said no but she just recognized the way I talk. What the hell does that mean I wondered?

I attempted to extract some more chating from her but she was quite cold. To that end I felt like telling her that I can tell she was from NJ by how cold she is. But I didn't, just wished her luck. She just moved to Galveston last month hoping to find employment after Hurricane IKE. She was from Smithville, NJ.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 AM

567 posts, read 1,299,821 times
Quote:
I live in Wilkes Barre PA and i get told this every day! I do have an audible accent, I do talk fast, and I do speak my mind far more then anyone I live near.

I've slowed down a little bit, but i attribute that to be being on the road much less often then in NJ easing my road rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: