Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times

Advertisements

I have been told this is the time of year that majority of houses come up for sale and so far there has been little to no action so far. How is everyone else seeing the new listing crop play out? In South Jersey it seems to be the tired old listings from last Fall & Winter. Half those listings have been taken off the market and a some have sold. The issue is there are very few NEW listings and it is making me insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM

47 posts, read 279,120 times
Yep, making me insane too. I guess everyone's playing a "wait and see" game. Maybe it will work out for sellers .... they'll wait until us buyers are so fed up with the lack of listings that we'll just buy whatever comes up!!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
interesting that you've noticed that.

I've wanted to post the same thing, but the R.E. bears on here would instantly accuse me of trying to spin the inventory level

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I told our resident bears that inventory would contract, 'cuz that's what happened up here in Boston after we crashed, but no one believed me.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
interesting that you've noticed that.

I've wanted to post the same thing, but the R.E. bears on here would instantly accuse me of trying to spin the inventory level
I lean towards the bear side but I try not to sleep on either side of the fence and look at things logically and fairly without blinders.

There is still a high % of listings out there, (high monthly supply) but they are primarily junk. I don't understand the concept of waiting though to list your house. Does anyone REALLY think prices are going to INCREASE in the next 6 months? Sure you can argue they will stop dropping (which I don't think is true) but waiting seems to make no sense to me.

I also notice a bunch of the new listings in my area are still pricing at 06 and above levels. (while actual sold comparables are MUCH MUCH lower)

Just makes for a frustrating buying experience thats for sure.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I don't understand the concept of waiting though to list your house.
I don't think it's that sellers are expecting a big/sudden bounce upward. I think it's that: even the sellers themselves have to go somewhere, and after looking at the crap (or overpriced) properties that are available, they just decide it's better to stay put...

Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
People aren't listing their houses unless it's absolutely necessary.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
I had two houses on my street on sale when I bought mine. One was over priced and hasn't sold (because they are SERIOUSLY underwater) and the other place was more competitively priced but not decorated nicely.

A third house on my street came on the market, under contract in less than 2 months. Nicely decorated, competitive price point. I'm waiting to see when the records go public what they sold for. I'm hoping they didn't jump at the first offer.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:38 PM

89 posts, read 243,482 times
Well, in the towns where I am looking for houses, at least 3 new listings that are priced right went under contract whithin weeks! A few new constructions that under my radar went under contract too! It made me nervous thinking people are starting to bid for houses again.

Last weekend we went to this open house in HH and there were at least 40 names on the sign-in sheet. Can you believe this?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
The listings are looking a bit redundant and I, like you, are waiting to see if anything new and great comes on the market for Spring. I have noticed however, that (in my town), anything on the lake or a lagoon sells well and the rightly-priced, very clean, upgraded houses are selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey