Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:53 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times

Advertisements

Anyone planning to attend?

Tax Day Tea Party » New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
I will be attending however up here in New Hampshire. I suppose I should post it on the NH Forum and spread the word.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:58 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I may attend one of the several in Philly. For more places & dates, check out the912project.com

There's a running list of all the scehduled tea parties. Let's hear it for Thomas Paine!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:03 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
some of us have to work, you know, to make money so we can save for the apocalypse. silly some weren't schedule after work hours.

OMG - i just saw the sponsors. FORGET THAT.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
some of us have to work, you know, to make money so we can save for the apocalypse. silly some weren't schedule after work hours.

OMG - i just saw the sponsors. FORGET THAT.
I'm happy to see someone else say this.

if I want to hang out with ULAM's (unemployed liberal arts majors) I'll head to the nearest Barnes & Nobles

Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 AM

The tea parties are not for 'unemployed liberal arts majors.' They are for anyone, in any party, who is ticked off at how Congress is spending and overspending our tax dollars and the tax dollars of our children and grandshildren, on bailouts, earmarks, and new expensive programs that most of us don't want.

If you are working, it may be a good reason to take the day or part of the day off to speak out and remind Congress that they are supposed to be working for us, representing us. If you can't take the day off, it's completely understood. But consider sending letters or e-mails to yor representatives if you don't like how the Senate & House have been passing expensive bills withour even reading them.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The tea parties are not for 'unemployed liberal arts majors.' They are for anyone, in any party, who is ticked off at how Congress is spending and overspending our tax dollars and the tax dollars of our children and grandshildren, on bailouts, earmarks, and new expensive programs that most of us don't want.
If you are working, it may be a good reason to take the day or part of the day off to speak out and remind Congress that they are supposed to be working for us, representing us. If you can't take the day off, it's completely understood. But consider sending letters or e-mails to yor representatives if you don't like how the Senate & House have been passing expensive bills withour even reading them.
I agree. I am fortunate that the one in NH is at 5:30, that way my husband and I can go after work. Everyone that I know who is going is a working professional.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:02 PM

59 posts, read 183,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I'm happy to see someone else say this.

if I want to hang out with ULAM's (unemployed liberal arts majors) I'll head to the nearest Barnes & Nobles
I have a liberal arts degree, and a job. Nevertheless, this mentality that people who take an interest in a cause are likely to be "ULAMS" is part of the problem. Thank goodness that we do have people who are willing to give their time and energy to question the government from time to time regardless of whatever positions they're taking.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
you can demonstrate all you want, but as tahiti noted, the thrust of the movement has dubious backing...

citizens would be better served if the demonstrations focused on efforts to better managed existing taxes. all this happened at the end of 8 straight years that America devoted to frantically chasing the shadow of a terrorist threat (to no avail), 8 years spent stopping every citizen at every airport to search every purse, bag, crotch, and briefcase for juice boxes and explosive tubes of toothpaste.

yet in the end, our government had no mechanism for searching the balance sheets of companies that held life-or-death power over our society.

we need a new Pujo Commission, which investigated the Panic of 1907.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 PM

I dispute that the "movement" has dubious backing. There is no one group or type of group backing this.

There have been hundreds of these tea parties popping up in lots of places for the past few weeks. There is no one concerted movement; it's not being organized by some big lobby group.

This is true grassroots action on the part of individual citizens. Funny how "grassroots movement" has come to be interpreted as something organized by a group with an agenda. These are really unrelated, unconnected people from all different backgrounds and parties and affiliations, spontaneaously (or with very little planning) joining together to demonstrate how we want our country back.

The liberal media and bloggers want to paint it as a right-wing conspiracy or an anti-Obama thing. But I would think we all want our country back. We all want our elected representatives to listen to and respond to us. We resent huge bills getting passed so quickly with so much stuff embedded in them that we have no idea what's there, and neither do our representatives, who did not read what they voted on, except to check that their own earmark was there. Most of us want the spending to stop. We don't want our generation, as well as the following generations to pay for today's excesses. Yes, we want better management of the money we contribute through existing taxes. But finding new things to spend money on doesn't fit into that sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey