Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 PM

23 posts, read 43,048 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if any of you have experience with wood or pellet stoves. I do not have a fireplace in my home and I am looking to cut back on my heating bills next winter.

Pellet stoves are convenient and cleaner burning than wood stoves, but pellets are hard to come by and they use electricity. Wood stoves are more maintenance, but I have two trees that may need to come down (too close to the house) so I would have some decent firewood on hand by next winter.

Just looking for some opinions, thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 05:43 PM

181 posts, read 635,476 times
I would ask this Q in the Green Forum.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:03 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
you got it right.

if you can handle the wood , go for it.

If you can't handle the wood (think about chopping, splitting, loading, starting up a fire, keeping it going, etc...) i would look at price differences between a propane stove and pellet stove. Pellets are $ and still require maintenance.

wood is the cheapest, gas stoves are not much more. pellet stoves are most expensive.

gas stoves don't require any maintenance really. if you get natural gas to the house this is a no brainer . Wood has a nice ambiance but is a lotof work. pellet stoves require maintenance too.

i personally wouldnt worry about wood's emissions too much. a Hot fire is pretty clean and you are burning a fuel source that can regenerate itself almost as far as you are burning it (not like, OIL, for example)

Check to see about rebates here:
Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR

Stove which burns biomass fuel5 to heat a home or heat water.

Stove which burns biomass fuel5 to heat a home or heat water.

Thermal efficiency rating of at least 75% as measured using a lower heating value.

I do not know if any wood burners are 75% Or pellet stoves for that matter....?????

Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 AM

27 posts, read 126,246 times
This thread is a little off for me, but I use to live in Jersey, now relocated for many years, but I have a wood stove, so I thought I might comment. I burn wood and pellets in my stove, I just throw in pellets as I am burning the wood, but there isn't much cost savings between the two, I also buy my wood already split and delivered, only hardwood of course. Shop around in your area, and ask other people who use wood stoves, pellet stoves and such. From my experience a pellet stove will work fine, if your house is well insulated and not a lot of drafts, because a pellet stove uses heat from inside the stove and relys on fans to blow it out, as a wood stove uses radient heat and is actually easier to get the heat really going on a really cold day. You might also check on ventless gas heaters, I have heard since they don't have a flew or chimney you get most of the heat and it doesn't go up the chimney, so it is suppose to save you money. Check it out.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,986 times
I have a wood/coal stove that I use every winter. I can't comment on Pellet since I've never used them but yes, wood is a lot of work to start it, but once you get it going, you get a nice heat, it does help if your home is nicely insulated or if the room is not huge. We usually buy a cord of wood every winter which runs us about $180 - $200 and it lasts all winter long for us, but again, all we're using it for is for our family room which is a nice big room (22 x 28). Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey