U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
 
6 posts, read 13,802 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Dear all,

Currently, I have received two CS PHD offer(Rutgers, College of William and Mary). Both of them are TA in the first two years. I have to pay the health insurance from the TA salary.

For W&M, it provide $1360*12+$2500=$18820 in the first two years. My advisor will be an assistant professor. But, the CS department is not large enough and location may not seem excellent.

For Rutgers, it provide $23000 in the first two years. My advisor will be an associate professor. But, my concern is most of PHD students obtained their degree 6 years later. Also, the daily expense and the safety may not satisfying.

I never come to the US. I would be grateful if any one could be kind to help analyze my case.

Best,
Dirichlet
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM
 
786 posts, read 2,423,781 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirichlet View Post
For Rutgers, it provide $23000 in the first two years. My advisor will be an associate professor. But, my concern is most of PHD students obtained their degree 6 years later. Also, the daily expense and the safety may not satisfying.
Where in Rutgers are you staying? I stayed in that area (New Brunswick campus - which includes Busch/Livingston/College Ave/Cook-Douglas campuses) for close to 5 years and it is safe, at least in and around the campuses.

People will tell you that New Brunswick proper itself may be iffy, but that's a city and as in all cities, it has its bad parts and good parts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 AM
 
4,142 posts, read 9,607,660 times
Reputation: 3456
your money will go a lot farther at william and mary then at Rutgers.

Rutgers is a good school and new brunswick isnt bad, but i think that you could do much better with the money that your getting from w/m in virginia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM
 
6 posts, read 13,802 times
Reputation: 10
I have no idea where to live. I noticed that the CS department located at Piscataway. I am not sure whether I should live some areas near there. I guess I may live in somewhere in Busch. Btw, are campus dorms easy for international students to apply? Thx :-)

Last edited by dirichlet; 03-29-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
 
6 posts, read 13,802 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
your money will go a lot farther at william and mary then at Rutgers.

Rutgers is a good school and new brunswick isnt bad, but i think that you could do much better with the money that your getting from w/m in virginia.
Right. The secretary of W&M told me the same thing. I would like to know whether US News major rank is important to evaluate a fresh graduate when hunting jobs. Also, can I save some money for a go-home round ticket each year?

Thx
:-)

Last edited by dirichlet; 03-29-2009 at 08:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,707 posts, read 17,185,514 times
Reputation: 6073
Find out if a degree from one of those schools will mean more than a degree from the other. If both programs are essentially equal, THEN consider cost of attendance, campus amenities, etc. Even if it costs you more money to attend the better program, the better program may result in more employment opportunities afterward. Or, you may find that it doesn't make much of a difference which program you go through. Only people familiar with your field can give you useful advice. Talk to the admissions people in each program. Talk to the faculty. Do research by asking colleagues, researching prospective employers, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 PM
 
4,142 posts, read 9,607,660 times
Reputation: 3456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirichlet View Post
Right. The secretary of W&M told me the same thing. I would like to know whether US News major rank is important to evaluate a fresh graduate when hunting jobs. Also, can I save some money for a go-home round ticket each year?

Thx
:-)

I have no idea as far as post graduate stuff goes. William and Mary has a good reputation in general though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 AM
 
6 posts, read 13,802 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Find out if a degree from one of those schools will mean more than a degree from the other. If both programs are essentially equal, THEN consider cost of attendance, campus amenities, etc. Even if it costs you more money to attend the better program, the better program may result in more employment opportunities afterward. Or, you may find that it doesn't make much of a difference which program you go through. Only people familiar with your field can give you useful advice. Talk to the admissions people in each program. Talk to the faculty. Do research by asking colleagues, researching prospective employers, etc.
Thanks for your reply. I have a friend in Rutgers. She said the reputation of the graduate program is good but it requires 6 years to finish. And the living expense is very high. Perhaps I can save $600 each month. I would like to lead a stable and regular live in my graduate studies.

As for W&M, in my estimation, I can save $900 each month. But I have no friend in W&M to tell me more details.

Btw, I am a basketball amateur althelete. I eat more food than ordinary people. I am afraid whether I could eat enough in both places. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top