Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 PM

183 posts, read 498,516 times

Advertisements

Caro,

I was out and about hitting some golf balls today so I drove into Parkway Village (PV) just to reacquaint myself. It looks better than I remembered it. (If you don't live there, you're unlikely to drive into it, since it's on the outskirts and there are no through streets.)

A couple of things I noticed are:
The proximity to the GSP is actually closer than I remembered. Not to harp on it, but that's going to be a lot of traffic noise. Also, when traffic gets backed up (which it does every Friday/Saturday in the late spring and summer due to shore traffic), you're going to have thousands of cars crawling through and emitting, well, their emissions. Judge for yourself.

I also forgot that PV is right next to the ball fields, so I hope you don't mind the sound of games going on non-stop starting in the early spring.

Other than that, the only other negative I can think of is that there seems to be, relatively speaking, a higher percentage of people renting in PV versus live-in owners. I can't verify that and I don't know how you might, but it seems to have been the case for a long time. Whether that makes a difference in day-to-day living I can't really say, although personally I'd rather know that my neighbors would be relatively consistent, and have a greater stake in the neighborhood. Again, though, it might not matter.

Cranford is a very good pick for you, take a look at what's available...although there aren't many 1- or 2-bedroom condos for sale at the moment. The most affordable ones are in PV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM

174 posts, read 621,238 times
Are those game fields really close by? I would like to be in a safe place too and wasn't aware of the high percenatgeb of rentals there either. I guess my realtor just wants me to buy and be out of his site.

Thank Leavingnj

Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM

They are literally a stone's throw away (or a softball, which would be more accurate). That may not be any big deal, though. There are three softball/baseball fields and and a basketball court, and in back of them, two soccer fields.The cars of the kid's parents do clog up the streets there during games and practices, because there's nowhere near enough parking. Most of the soccer parking would be on Bloomingdale Avenue, though, on the other side of the soccer fields.

You should maybe spend a little more time in the area, especially on a weekend. It's possible that your realtor is just trying to show you the best you can get for your budget, but I don't know your situation, and I'm not a realtor either. I would say, however, that if you can afford to buy and live in Cranford, you have made a very good choice.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM

Well, my budget isn’t that high and we want it to be a foot in a door. Eventually we would like to buy something bigger and better but for now we can’t risk too much. I heard many wonderful things about Cranford but PV so far seems a bit out of place. Downtown area is far and the bus to the City isn’t close either. I’m reconsidering now but before I do that I will take your advice and go there on the weekend.

Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:23 PM

Best of luck to you!

Btw, are you specifically in need of a 2-bedroom? Posting your budget and needs (space, commuting, etc.) may make it easier for people to point out good potential properties.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 PM

I would like to start a family, therefore 2 beds are sort of essence to us. And yes, please if you do know of something let me know.

Than you again!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM

Have you looked at this one?

I'm not crazy about the '70s building, but the location is much better. Walk to town in 3 or 4 minutes.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM

Or even better if you can make the stretch...this one.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM

786 posts, read 2,654,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Have you looked at this one?

I'm not crazy about the '70s building, but the location is much better. Walk to town in 3 or 4 minutes.
Or walk to the Canoe Club, which is almost right next door. I think the river is right beside that building.

So instead of seeing the GSP, you can walk and see the river.

Google Street View:
http://www.blueboard.com/temp/22_riverside_cranford.jpg (broken link)

Yeah, from that location, downtown is much closer, and you'll have better access to the grocery stores (pathmark/shoprite) in garwood.

You won't be as close to a middle scholl though.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
I think the river is right beside that building.
Yep, it is. MUCH nicer view to have every morning. And you can get a good spot to view the annual duck races.

It's actually a tiny bit closer to Orange Avenue Middle school than is Parkway Village, about .65 miles as the crow flies. Three minute car ride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey