Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 PM

786 posts, read 2,655,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Yep, it is. MUCH nicer view to have every morning. And you can get a good spot to view the annual duck races.

It's actually a tiny bit closer to Orange Avenue Middle school than is Parkway Village, about .65 miles as the crow flies. Three minute car ride?
My bad...i thought bloomingdale was a middle school...
http://www.cranfordschools.org/di/district_schools.html

Also, instead of duck races, why not canoe/kayak races? I think the town used to have those in the early 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM

526 posts, read 2,063,427 times
Quote:
I can assure you I'm fairly sane. And since I've been living here for nearly 25 years, I feel that I'm reasonably well-informed about the town. How long have you lived in Cranford?

Regarding your buddy's condo, you are quoting a price two years old, at or near the height of the market, so it's relevance to today's prices is extremely minimal. I also don't know what bearing the unit's cleanliness has to do with anything, other than to explain why he may have gotten top dollar.. However for comparison purposes, $275k - $285k was the going rate for a 1-bedroom in English Village as recently as the latter part of last year. And the units that did come up for sale sold pretty quickly. So there is most definitely a difference in how these complexes are perceived.

That brings us to the desirability of Parkway Village: it is simply less desirable than other condo communities in Cranford. The main reason is location.

Parkway Village is 3/4 of a mile to the center of town, so walkability to in-town activities isn't very good. That's also a minus in regard to NYC transportation. It is located right next to the parkway, so it's easy to get out of Cranford, but you're going to be hearing a lot of road noise in those condos. Cranford gets very quiet at night, and you can hear that kind of thing very easily. Most streets become fairly deserted in the evening, but the parkway always has traffic.

The area is not as attractive as other areas in Cranford, and the home prices reflect that.

As to crime (which I did not mention), it seems that at one time Parkway Village was more prone to auto break-in, theft, and burglary, due to it's proximity to the GSP. I remember hearing this years ago. But I am not aware that Parkway Village is more prone to crime in recent years. I don't have any breakdown of where crime is committed in Cranford, although I am aware that it doesn't seem to be committed very much. The Parkway Village reputation may continue because it just makes sense that it's an easier target given the getaway potential.

Now to put it in context...

Crime is very low in Cranford, and from that standpoint, I don't think there's really a bad place to live in the township. As with any town, there are areas more attractive and more desirable than others. Parkway Village isn't a bad looking place at all, and I don't see why someone couldn't be happy there. But in shopping for real estate, it would be smart to compare it to other available condos within the town to be better able to judge it objectively and relatively. If it were me, I'd prefer to live in a different complex, but that's just my opinion. Parkway Village is more affordable than most, but I think you have to weigh aesthetics, convenience, and resale potential versus affordability.

Best of luck, Caro.
You are correct about the location and the proximity to the Parkway. It's a bit of a walk to the bus stop and downtown, and you can definitely hear the rush of the traffic, especially if you live in the units closest to the Parkway. But the one thing I did like about the location was that it was almost tucked away and that sort of gave it a cozy feel. But, again, if you like to walk to the bus or train, then it's not very convenient. As for the noise, I live in Westfield now, but I grew up in Elizabeth. That probably explains why I didn't really notice it.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM

526 posts, read 2,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro257 View Post
why people seem to think thsi area isn't great? Is it too much if I pay 230K for a condo there?
Like Marc Paolella said, if you can find a nice 2-bedroom, 2-floor unit for $230k, then it's worth jumping on. A similar interior unit just sold for $230k. A nice end-unit could get $240k, maybe $245k if it has 1.5 baths. I also took a drive by on my way home after about two years, and I still like it. But check it out and see if it fits your needs. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM

I dropped by after work.

I like the white buildings...they seem nicer looking than the usual brick-colored structures.

And as mentioned above, it seems kinda tucked away and forgotten. The SF homes around it are also kinda smaller, although I know as you get closer to Bloomingdale school you get some bigger houses.

Seems to be well-maintained and clean as well.

The cars on the parkway provided a steady hum, probably more so to those closer to it. It wasn't that bad.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Or even better if you can make the stretch...this one.
Yeah, the English Village condominiums...built on top of the old Sperry estates in the 1940s.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:25 AM

174 posts, read 621,410 times
Again I would like to thank all of you that went to see the PV yesterday!
Here is what I’m looking for as far as the price and size go:

- 2 beds
- 1 or 2 bath (not that picky about that part)
- Price in low 200K
- Good commute to NYC ( I do work in Manhattan, so this is a key to me)
- Nice and safe neighborhood, and as far as you guys told me Cranford is great

Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Have you looked at this one?

I'm not crazy about the '70s building, but the location is much better. Walk to town in 3 or 4 minutes.

I did see this apartment. Here is the difference between PV and Riverside:

- taxes are almost 6K a year opposed to low 3K in PV
- apt was very outdated, kitchen was all electric with the very first oven that wouldn’t even fit a 2 pound chicken
- Bathrooms had those very old toilets with the sink area covered in mirrors – just awful!
- Compare to PV I would have to spend at least 50K to renovate
- Another thing were those round lights in every single room sticking out of the ceiling
- What I love about PV is that you can open your back door (yes, there is two of them) and everyone has their own BBQ and the kids can run around without me worrying.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Like Marc Paolella said, if you can find a nice 2-bedroom, 2-floor unit for $230k, then it's worth jumping on. A similar interior unit just sold for $230k. A nice end-unit could get $240k, maybe $245k if it has 1.5 baths. I also took a drive by on my way home after about two years, and I still like it. But check it out and see if it fits your needs. Good luck.

The realtor is taking me to see a two bedroom and 1 ½ bath tomorrow. The asking is 260K and it is in Park Village.

Do you think I could go down to 220 or 230?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 AM

183 posts, read 498,871 times
Caro,
Sorry that unit was not to your liking. Of course you realize that anything you buy in your price range will likely be on the older side, in need of some updating. But it sounds as though that unit wasn't for you.

On the gsmls, I don't see any 2-bedroom, 1.5-bath units in PV, so maybe it just came on the market in the last couple of days? There is a 2-bedroom, 1-bath listed for $229,000, though.

Regarding the price, you can offer anything you want. The worst that can happen is that it gets rejected, or you may negotiate a price somewhere in-between.

Btw, the units in PV were built in 1948, so you should expect that updates will vary from unit to unit.

And one last thing you might want to keep in the back of your mind...

You mentioned wanting to start a family, yet you are projecting your kids running around the backyard. I'm all for planning for the future, but since this seems to be your entry into home-owning, you might want to think about it in what may be more realistic terms. By the time even your first child is actually running around, you may well be in a single-family home, or be close to doing so. In other words, it might be more realistic to think of this first buy as a stepping stone rather than something you may own for the next ten years or more. Of course, I could be wrong, and you may decide to stay in the condo you buy for a long time to come. I doubt it though. Well, it's just an opinion.

Again, good luck.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Caro,
Sorry that unit was not to your liking. Of course you realize that anything you buy in your price range will likely be on the older side, in need of some updating. But it sounds as though that unit wasn't for you.

On the gsmls, I don't see any 2-bedroom, 1.5-bath units in PV, so maybe it just came on the market in the last couple of days? There is a 2-bedroom, 1-bath listed for $229,000, though.

Regarding the price, you can offer anything you want. The worst that can happen is that it gets rejected, or you may negotiate a price somewhere in-between.

Btw, the units in PV were built in 1948, so you should expect that updates will vary from unit to unit.

And one last thing you might want to keep in the back of your mind...

You mentioned wanting to start a family, yet you are projecting your kids running around the backyard. I'm all for planning for the future, but since this seems to be your entry into home-owning, you might want to think about it in what may be more realistic terms. By the time even your first child is actually running around, you may well be in a single-family home, or be close to doing so. In other words, it might be more realistic to think of this first buy as a stepping stone rather than something you may own for the next ten years or more. Of course, I could be wrong, and you may decide to stay in the condo you buy for a long time to come. I doubt it though. Well, it's just an opinion.

Again, good luck.

The apt. you saw is already in contract and that was the one I saw, slipped through my fingers. I don’t see the other one yet listed so I guess it may not be in the system yet.

And you are right about the kids, I like to dream sometimes… about the future and this would be a step in stone for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey