Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:39 AM

174 posts, read 622,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
What exactly are you looking at, and at what prices? 1-bed, 2-bed, interior-unit, end-unit, and at what price?? Are you commuting to work, or driving??? Please be more specific so we can better assist you.

Here is what I’m looking for

- 2 bedroom
- Don’t care how many baths
- Low 200K if possible

The reason I loved PV is that you can open a back door and BBQ, your kids can run around without me worrying since it’s very green and to the back of the entrance. Taxes compare to Riverside are much lower. I saw an apt. for 275K at 22 Riverside Dr. and the taxes were almost 6K opposed to low 3K in PV. Also, the kitchen at Riverside was completely outdated and electric, which I am not a fan of. Apts in PV are clean, modern and have stairs, which gives you a homey feel.

I do work in the City so commuting is a key to me. I like quiet surroundings so a little walk to downtown is not a problem to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM

786 posts, read 2,664,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro257 View Post
How expensive are the membership fees for the pool etc. ?
The fee structure is here:

Township of Cranford - Swim Pool Utility - www.cranford.com

It is fairly cheap...with that you get to use the indoor and outdoor pools on both community centers, as well as the fitness center in centennial. There's also fields and track outside the center.

The Centennial one also has a sauna and jacuzzi, although the jacuzzi is sometimes out of commission.

The water is mostly clean...it gets kinda cloudy once in a while, but they cycle and test the water thoroughly everytime. Lots of life guards during summer, 1-2 lifeguards for the indoor pool during winter.

The indoor pool with lanes is great during winter...25 m long i think, with 7-8 lanes (if i remember correctly). If you like lane swimming you'll have to try to come at low times (usually close to closing at 9pm)

Also lots of group activities, mostly water aerobics and execises for women, in addition to life guard training.

Individuals also give swimming lessons, varying rates.

Out of town residents use the pools as well, although they pay higher fees. In Centennial I've met people from Roselle, and also lots of Linden folk who speak Polish (thought it was Russian when I first got there).

Last edited by kalim2008; 04-01-2009 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 AM

nice, I like that! How far is that from park village, any idea? I guess I can check google.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
nice, I like that! How far is that from park village, any idea? I guess I can check google.
looks like you're 1 mile from the Orange Ave pool, and 1.8 miles from the Centennial.

The Orange Ave pool is IMO, not as nice as the Centennial one (and that's not just my bias against northside cranford talking lol). I don't believe it has an indoor pool, and the outdoor pool is just humongous. We go there once in awhile, mainly when the Centennial one is too full.

Oh, and if you feel snooty, you can always shell out some extra money and join the private Cranford Swimming Club ;-)

...I think that's actually closer to Parkway Village.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 AM

ok, that's not too bad. Thanks kalim2008
tomorrow I am checking another apt. in the area, the asking 260K. I will post back tomorrow about the condition etc.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 PM

183 posts, read 500,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
looks like you're 1 mile from the Orange Ave pool, and 1.8 miles from the Centennial.

The Orange Ave pool is IMO, not as nice as the Centennial one (and that's not just my bias against northside cranford talking lol). I don't believe it has an indoor pool, and the outdoor pool is just humongous. We go there once in awhile, mainly when the Centennial one is too full.

Oh, and if you feel snooty, you can always shell out some extra money and join the private Cranford Swimming Club ;-)

...I think that's actually closer to Parkway Village.
They actually did a pretty nice job revamping the Orange Avenue pool. It now looks much better, has tables, and a separate kiddie pool. We used to go there once and a while, but mostly my wife and daughter, as I am not really one for public pools. I never much liked the indoor pool either. Then again, it's a lot better idea than owning your own pool in Cranford, which is kind of asinine, IMO.

Orange avenue pool is about half the distance to PV than the Cranford Swim Club. We belonged to the latter for some years, but I rarely went. I think I was in the pool there once. Again, my wife and daughter liked it (btw, they're not snooty, but they may have been in the minority), but I really didn't care for the place much. I'd save my money on that one.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
They actually did a pretty nice job revamping the Orange Avenue pool. It now looks much better, has tables, and a separate kiddie pool. We used to go there once and a while, but mostly my wife and daughter, as I am not really one for public pools. I never much liked the indoor pool either. Then again, it's a lot better idea than owning your own pool in Cranford, which is kind of asinine, IMO.

Orange avenue pool is about half the distance to PV than the Cranford Swim Club. We belonged to the latter for some years, but I rarely went. I think I was in the pool there once. Again, my wife and daughter liked it (btw, they're not snooty, but they may have been in the minority), but I really didn't care for the place much. I'd save my money on that one.
I was kidding about the "snooty" remark...

I think we went to orange last year or a couple years back once or twice. It still lacks some of the things the other community pool has, unless i missed them ....

I still like centennial better. Centennial has

outdoors: a big outdoor pool, a smaller outdoor pool, a dive pool (scary heights), a kiddie pool.

indoors: a large lane pool, a fitness center, a sauna, a jacuzzi

Right next to it is a full running track, football/soccer/baseball fields, and basketball courts.

As to the CSC, people are always welcome to pay more for a lot less, just so they can imagine it's a "private" pool (with 200 other non-family members - lol)

Old 04-01-2009, 03:59 PM

72 posts, read 326,380 times
I own at Kahlcrest Condos, off Lincoln Park East. They are small, but you can't beat the location - walk downtown and the train station.

Parkway Village is a bit further off, but Cranford is a great town (look at all of the great responses you got).

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 PM

183 posts, read 500,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
I was kidding about the "snooty" remark...
There were some decent folks there, but it was also littered with a lot of nobodies who thought they were somebody. Real @sses. I guess that's another reason I never went.

I think you really can't go too far wrong with any of the Cranford facilities.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,821 times
Quote:
Here is what I’m looking for

- 2 bedroom
- Don’t care how many baths
- Low 200K if possible

The reason I loved PV is that you can open a back door and BBQ, your kids can run around without me worrying since it’s very green and to the back of the entrance. Taxes compare to Riverside are much lower. I saw an apt. for 275K at 22 Riverside Dr. and the taxes were almost 6K opposed to low 3K in PV. Also, the kitchen at Riverside was completely outdated and electric, which I am not a fan of. Apts in PV are clean, modern and have stairs, which gives you a homey feel.

I do work in the City so commuting is a key to me. I like quiet surroundings so a little walk to downtown is not a problem to me.
If you don't mind the walk (and it would be a good walk) to the bus and downtown, then it sounds like PV is for you. However, I don't think you're going to get a nice 2-bedroom for low $200k. A decent, interior unit just sold for $230k, so it might be tough getting a nice unit for lower than that. You might be able to get a nice 1-bedroom for that price, if you were open to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey