Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 42,579 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband has picked up a job in NJ and getting a apt on rent in North Bergen. This would be on 73rd St, Tonnelle ave, North Bergen.
Before moving to the new place, I would like to get some information about North Bergan, to be more specific about the safety and crime.

I will appreciate if someone can provide me this info or pointer from where to get the detail information @ this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:42 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
you should be fine. North Bergen for the most part is very safe. Actually your in a good spot. The Light Rail is real close to you.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 PM

20 posts, read 154,860 times
there's a shopping area right on tonnelle/76th with a target, home depot and a lowes so it should be a pretty decent area.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM

19 posts, read 85,710 times
You should be fine, if anything the only problem will be the traffic noise since tonelle avenue is a major roadway.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM

22 posts, read 121,369 times
good luck, that area has the worst traffic, horrible hills, and poorly kept homes. North Bergen has a tiny nice area & that's near Blvd East, facing NYC. The rest of those towns are a nightmare, imho. Not because of too much crime, just there's no quality of life.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Def better for someone who likes public transit and who is not looking for peace and quiet-unless you are going to live in one of those luxury high rise places. Then ignore what I said.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 PM

14 posts, read 98,377 times
Default North Bergen's nice but getting too crowded

I've been living in North Bergen for almost 9 years and like it's "liveliness"; however, it all depends where you live. I live up close to 91st street near the park and lake and this area is really nice. You can walk through the park, go to the lake, exercise at the High School Stadium's track...take the bus to the city very easily, etc. It's a nice and diverse town as well. I like the school system although it's a bit overcrowded. However, they are building way too many single and 2-family homes. They will tear down one old home and build 3 in its place and they aren't going cheap. Homes on my block were listed at $725,000 (not sure if they sold for that price or not).

I would say that living near Tonelle Ave. wouldn't be the best choice (too much traffic). Try to move up on the hill towards the park (72nd st and up towards the Fairview border or towards the Woodcliff section and Boulevard East).

All in all, it's a decent place to live and is a nice option if you want that urban feel without living in Manhattan.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
it's safe but very crowded.. some homes are about 15-18 feet wide.. some are bigger... lots of illegal apartments.. very diverse.. lots of traffic.. it's horrible driving in the snow.. steep hills..

Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 50,819 times
you will be ok, is a safe place
good luck

Old 04-18-2007, 11:30 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashni View Post
Hi there,

My husband has picked up a job in NJ and getting a apt on rent in North Bergen. This would be on 73rd St, Tonnelle ave, North Bergen.
Before moving to the new place, I would like to get some information about North Bergan, to be more specific about the safety and crime.

I will appreciate if someone can provide me this info or pointer from where to get the detail information @ this town.
73rd and Tonnelle, he must be right next door to Liberty Generator. I don't see any safety problems but will say living along Tonnelle Ave. is very dirty. There is a large amount of traffic and he'll be right across the street from major shopping areas (lots of vehicle exhaust). It wouldn't be wise to open your windows on a nice clear day to let some air in unless you haven't had your dose of carbon monoxide for the day. If he has to live there he will learn to make do but as others suggested move up the hill as quick as possible. There are real nice areas east of Kennedy Blvd and no hill to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey